Who is jobless?

Are you jobless?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Struggling photographer looking for assignments :cry:

A lot of people go back to school because they are not working.

===> least opportunity costs

jump back out when its better.

Now, if the above is true, then the unemployment figures should be higher...and it is. looking at the number of schools here in SG...

huge ITE buildings, monsterous white elephants for the election rounds, the "talking" up of employment prospects by the minstry of "manpower", the deliberate and systematic depressing of wages across the board, all in anticipation for the "arrival" of the new PM. so, when it happens, his reign should see "people's wages" rise across the board to show his people that his presence is good.... opera in its finest..

mich_2103 said:
Hi,
I am going to graduate soon but I am rather worried that I'll not be able to find a job. Sigh...

So just asking all the working professionals out there, how is the job market in Singapore? Isizt really getting better like what all the news and ministers say?

Regards,
-Michelle- :D

Michelle -

get to know your seniors more and you will be able to get a job thru them by recommendations. FSV also has a alumni where there will be some job opportunities for freelance as well as perm staff.

For starters, call up film/ video production companies to check if they need any crew for docus/ E.N.G/ offline editors..etc these are some of the commonly needed position in the market. If not, try helping some of your juniors with their final year productions and use the work as your portfolio as well, will work for you esp if you are the D.O.P

Although this market is small and employment opportunities are rather unpublicised, you will still get a chance to get a job if you know the right people.

VHQ is oso one of those places for you to try but you should have a pretty strong portfolio to present as well as an attitude to do your best (they play politics there ;))

Cheerioz!

Humm... garment trying to maintain 4-4.5 unemployment for good. We have only 60% in CS (not accurate hehe) workforce for our country. Only 6 out of 10 are working? hehehee. Or perhaps there are people who idle, refuse to work or too rich? :) Garment ah garment, want to hire any freelance photographer to shoot esplanade, singapore river? hehehe.

how bout working cum studying?
me! :D me! :D

Just ORDed and looking for a job. Well at least I know Prudential looking to expand their sales force by like 50+ ppl this year.

Sion said:
Don't know about Singapore. But in Down-under here some sections are tough going and some sections are doing fairly well.

I happen to be in one of the bad sectors in which the job prospects are not looking good. You may get a job in it but pay is lesser and demands are more. A few friends are facing prospects of long-termed unemployement and we are hanging on with pay cut.

Hope to hear more views especially from those 30 something "mature" and established members of CS community on this.

Sion,

Long time no see around the place.

Sorry to hear the printing/graphics industry over East is having a hard time of it at present. I do however agree that Aussie wide there's some serious problems facing older workers, especially in light of Howards dream of 'semi retired' older workers in the 65 plus age bracket. What I'd like to know is where the hell he thinks all those jobs are going to appear from, maybe he's planning to wave the magic fairy wand (oops that belongs to Bush) and make everything all right.

eee..strange 18%, so much different from government released jobless rate.

Caspere said:
A lot of people go back to school because they are not working.

===> least opportunity costs

jump back out when its better.

Now, if the above is true, then the unemployment figures should be higher...and it is. looking at the number of schools here in SG...

huge ITE buildings, monsterous white elephants for the election rounds, the "talking" up of employment prospects by the minstry of "manpower", the deliberate and systematic depressing of wages across the board, all in anticipation for the "arrival" of the new PM. so, when it happens, his reign should see "people's wages" rise across the board to show his people that his presence is good.... opera in its finest..

It's actually really scary. Our cost base is just too high. There are hungrier, leaner, and much cheaper workers in India and China just waiting to eat our lunch. I think low wages are going to be a fact of life from now on. Even the US can't stop out-sourcing of jobs, even skilled work like reading x-rays or financial auditing. How to fight? :dunno: We run a real risk of becoming a country with a few "have-it-alls" and many "have-nothing-at-all".

Remember Woody said that he will step down when the economy is better? Old Man is tired and about to pass on. He cannot wait forever for the Clown Prince to ascend the throne. To hasten the transition the scums proclaim the recovery of the economy. :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

whoelse said:
Is economy getting better? :p

Ian said:
Sion,

Long time no see around the place.

Sorry to hear the printing/graphics industry over East is having a hard time of it at present. I do however agree that Aussie wide there's some serious problems facing older workers, especially in light of Howards dream of 'semi retired' older workers in the 65 plus age bracket. What I'd like to know is where the hell he thinks all those jobs are going to appear from, maybe he's planning to wave the magic fairy wand (oops that belongs to Bush) and make everything all right.

Good to see you mate.

As our case it's the technology that kills us. A place I worked used to have drum scanning lined up for 3 days. These days with desktop scanners and digital cameras, our drum scanner hardly gets spinning. The prepress industry now needs lesser people doing more jobs faster and better with the new technology.

That's life. Either we change with time or face the bleak prospects. I think it's better to position ourselves at the end where some inputs of creativity are required.

dkw said:
It's actually really scary. Our cost base is just too high. There are hungrier, leaner, and much cheaper workers in India and China just waiting to eat our lunch. I think low wages are going to be a fact of life from now on. Even the US can't stop out-sourcing of jobs, even skilled work like reading x-rays or financial auditing. How to fight? :dunno: We run a real risk of becoming a country with a few "have-it-alls" and many "have-nothing-at-all".

Don't complain, face the reality and think of how to make yourself more competitive.

30 this year..er... today, spent 2 mth plus to get a er.... er... reasonable job. :think:

I'm an underpaid, under appreciated NSF. Does that count?

Me joining the gang real soon man ;)

dkw said:

This is very true, many of my company's IT Support and finance position have migrated to india.

justdoit said:
eee..strange 18%, so much different from government released jobless rate.

18%? The govt stated only 4.3%. Who's telling the truth? :bsmilie:

SOMEBODY always wanted to keep the number low...
I've been jobless for 2 years now..till now can't get stable job, only TEmp post, part time. short period contract base... good thing got some Photography skills to keep myself going..and going..and going..and going..and going.. like duracell batteries...waiting for time to go flat..:D

Status
Not open for further replies.