White tiger at Sg Zoo Killed Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do I feel like some peeps here are quick to jump the gun on the poor chap who got himself killed? Is that because of a suggestive -- perhaps unfounded -- one liner that somehow portrays the guy as suicidal?

That's a human life lost. Really sad.

:Later,

Because there is no reason he would fall/jump into the enclosure. Having visited the zoo as often as I have (volunteer there), I know they have strict measures in place for safety. Most likely, he wanted to be in the enclosure. If so, his actions have caused a very negative image of the animals, which are already endangered and hunted a lot. Not to mention he would've deprived a lot of visitors the chance to see the tigers now that they are in confinement.

Because there is no reason he would fall/jump into the enclosure. Having visited the zoo as often as I have (volunteer there), I know they have strict measures in place for safety. Most likely, he wanted to be in the enclosure. If so, his actions have caused a very negative image of the animals, which are already endangered and hunted a lot. Not to mention he would've deprived a lot of visitors the chance to see the tigers now that they are in confinement.

News reported that the cleaner might have been suicidal.

The last time i visited the zoo and saw the tigers, 1 of them kept pacing left to right , right to left non stop. If it were a human, you might think that it's mad! You could sense the ferociousness of the tiger. I think IT got its wish now.

Why do I feel like some peeps here are quick to jump the gun on the poor chap who got himself killed? Is that because of a suggestive -- perhaps unfounded -- one liner that somehow portrays the guy as suicidal?

That's a human life lost. Really sad.

:Later,

Well... I am not going to pass judgment as to what happen till more facts come to light from the police investigation. But some hints of what happened this came out so far on the case and indication given by a senior director at the Zoo stated the cleaner was acting strangely just moments before the attack took place. There is a likelihood he acted foolishly or stupid or suicical. BUT it still does not mean it is not a waste of life lost.

I doubt anyone here is taking anything away or with-hold sympathy for the unfortunate person but.... the tigers in no way should be put down for behaving as primal animals reacting instinctively. Don;t just look at it as the tigers were trying to EAT him. They could just be being territorial and was attacking him as an outside that wondered into their domain as it is in the jungle where they came from.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/afp/20081113/tap-singapore-animal-zoo-incident-06f3cb7.html

Let's see how this news develops as the days go by. But I for one will not want to see any one of the tigers killed for this. If you watch enough documentaries like cable tv's animal planet you will understand. Case in point Steve Irwin. Think they went about the sea killing all the sting rays? He knew the risk..he the human intrude into their world....be it crocodiles, deady snakes, sharks or yes....sting rays. He and many others always say the animals are never to blame.

Last edited:
Indeed, pacing is generally taken as a sign of stress and is not good. That's why the zoo has "enrichment programmes", which are just stuff they do to let the animals play or work. Such as putting their food in weird places, such as inside ice blocks for the polar bears.

You look at your own pet cats and dogs, when you throw a new toy or furry object on the ground, they'll just pounce and smash it around with their paws. Tigers are big cats, so you multiply the effect x 1000.

That said, if it was indeed a sucide, it must be one of the worst ways to die.

Really sad indeed. My sympathy goes to the cleaner's family. No fault of the tigers though, as they are after all wild animals in a zoo behind a moat!

Please don't conjecture or joke about the deceased cleaner. If you are in need of a joke, take this one instead:

"On Thursday, a Guy-With-Camera (GWC) who just got his 500mm f/4 lens and a 1Ds Mark III fell into the tiger enclosure after falling off from his illegally sneaked in large extension ladder.

He was badly mauled by the three tigers, strangely so just on his hands and his gear, as if the tigers were instinctively protecting poorly taken pictures of themselves getting circulated and prevent further potentially poor pictures from being taken in the future.

The GWC escaped with his life, suffice to say he won't be taking an unduly long lens and a ladder into the zoo anytime soon."

Really sad indeed. My sympathy goes to the cleaner's family. No fault of the tigers though, as they are after all wild animals in a zoo behind a moat!

Please don't conjecture or joke about the deceased cleaner. If you are in need of a joke, take this one instead:

"On Thursday, a Guy-With-Camera (GWC) who just got his 500mm f/4 lens and a 1Ds Mark III fell into the tiger enclosure after falling off from his illegally sneaked in large extension ladder.

He was badly mauled by the three tigers, strangely so just on his hands and his gear, as if the tigers were instinctively protecting poorly taken pictures of themselves getting circulated and prevent further potentially poor pictures from being taken in the future.

The GWC escaped with his life, suffice to say he won't be taking an unduly long lens and a ladder into the zoo anytime soon."

The hell? That's not really a joke is it. More like a parable..

Last edited:
today's Newpaper had a field day...see the front page..piang

Biswajit Guha, assistant director, Singapore Zoo, said: "Prior to the incident, the zookeepers had actually noticed that the contract worker was behaving erratically.

"He was throwing things around and as he was walking out of the zoo, he passed comments like 'Goodbye, you won't see me again'. He later cycled back and 5 minutes later, the alarm went off."

Nordin had jumped off the ledge into the water and once he was inside the enclave, the three white tigers mauled him for five to ten minutes, while 20 zookeepers tried desperately to save him by distracting the animals.

www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/389571/1/.html

sheesh.. what the hell man.. i wish he'll jump into something less endangered.. im still planning to go zoo again next month..

sigh... sad news.

*edit* What's more sad is that the phrase used in the initial news that went out before facts were ascertained.

Last edited:

I don't think youre in a position to make such judgements. You're just basing your stupid comments on some article on the paper. :D

Strange enough, how come no witnesses interviewed, comments? When somebody wants to jump into the white tiger enclosure area, that's a big action that would attract any zoo visitors around / next to the cleaner!! No witnesses? :eek:

i think people maybe busy vomitting or running or shocked bah.. its 1 thing to see people kena hit by car.. but get mauled to death.. too gruesome

Strange enough, how come no witnesses interviewed, comments? When somebody wants to jump into the white tiger enclosure area, that's a big action that would attract any zoo visitors around / next to the cleaner!! No witnesses? :eek:

Well, perhaps it is still under police investigations if it is sucide or not that's y so little info. Most prob will have a fuller picture by tom or after.

Straits Times main section got an interview with the guy who took the photos published in the paper, few pages after the main article. Maybe no one else want to come forward 'cos they're too traumatized? :dunno:

I don't think youre in a position to make such judgements. You're just basing your stupid comments on some article on the paper. :D

:( I have the full press release and the full Q and A infosheet from the zoo on the incident plus inside info from the staff. Jix, you can read this if you wish but you'll probably dismiss it as some propaganda.

I can't show the whole thing but just select bits I guess.

1. We heard that someone fell into the White Tiger exhibit. How did the incident happen?
An apparently disturbed and agitated Malaysian contract worker walked to the
White Tiger exhibit, climbed onto and walked precariously along the ledge and
then jumped into the water moat which separates the tigers from visitors. He
subsequently climbed out of the water, onto the rocks and towards the tigers,
which attacked him.

4. Were the necessary precautions taken to prevent members of the public from falling into dangerous animal exhibits? Are the Zoo’s exhibit constructed according to safety standards both for the public and the animals?
The Singapore Zoo upholds stringent international safety standards and maintains these safety measures at all times. Our exhibits are designed with precautionary features that comply with (and some even exceed) international safety standards and guidelines from the Associations of Zoos and Aquarium and EAZA [European Association of Zoos and Aquaria].
In the case of the tigers’ enclosure, safety specifications include multiple barriers that separate the tigers from visitors such as the width and depth of moats, height and design of fences, walls etc.

13. What is the standard operating procedure for such animal attack incidents?
The safety of our visitors and employees are of utmost importance. In the event of any major incident involving animals, standard operating procedures are in place to safeguard the safety of visitors including “darting”* the animal for sedation purposes. If required, the Zoo will also shoot the animal concerned if any human life is deemed to be at risk.
During the unfortunate incident [yesterday], we had rifles on standby at the enclosure to shoot the tigers if it was necessary to save the victim or if any of the rescuers was placed at risk.

14. Also what is the standard operating procedure when an alarm is raised?
When an alarm is raised over the walkie-talkie, it goes throughout the zoo. Management staff-on-duty and all keepers will rush to the area with emergency equipment such as fire extinguishers, extensible poles, cymbals and clay balls to distract the animals. Licensed shooters will go to the zoo armoury to collect a double-barreled shot gun and a .375 rifle. These are shoot-to-kill weapons in case a human life is in danger.
All these personnel were activated [yesterday] and they rushed to the white tiger enclosure within minutes of the crisis alert and moved into positions as drilled.

17. And why wasn't a tranquiliser used instead?
A tranquilizer was not used because the tiger was beside the contract worker. If darted, the tiger may react adversely to the sudden impact and redirect it to the worker.
Tranquilizers are not instantaneous and take time to react, depending on the size of the animal.

19. How long will the tiger enclosure be closed ?
Although there is no danger, we are closing the enclosure for the next few days as a precautionary measure. This will allow us to conduct another safety audit as well as allow the tigers to settle down again after this incident. Keepers will be monitoring the tigers to check for signs of stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.