White Bellied vs Grey Heron

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheels

Nov 17, 2002
LONG KAO
photo.rogerdeng.com
Taken about 2 months back. A rare sight for me.

This grey heron happily caught a fish and it was wobbling on it mouth until when he saw the white bellied flying towards it. Heron threw the fish into the water in a bid to hide it but well ... the rest is history.

_DSC1236.jpg

Would'nt say the pic was well taken as I was actually packing up till this happens.
Scramble to aim at the scene but was'nt on a proper setting. :sweat:

Cheers

pardon me for my ignorance.... is the while bellied higher on the food chain than grey heron? Also hor, you mind sharing your setup?

wow you mean the white bellied sea eagle actually tried to steal the heron's fish?
RARE SIGHT siah!!!
the colors are alittle strange.. but i love the wat the heron's head feathers are all standing hahahah
so the fish got away in the end? lol sounds like the chinese poverb kinda story

Nevermind about the settings.
You have captured the moment and great action... :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing :)

wheels said:
Would'nt say the pic was well taken as I was actually packing up till this happens.
Cheers

This always happen :bsmilie: to many of us. That is why I just pack only when I reach my car and to be kiasu I pack the camera last :bsmilie:

Anyway you have captured the moment and it is great enough a shot :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cheers

idor said:
pardon me for my ignorance.... is the while bellied higher on the food chain than grey heron? Also hor, you mind sharing your setup?
idor, a white bellied is a much more agressive fish hunter then the Grey Heron. Sometimes I don't understand why the grey herons don't catch the fish even when it is jumping right under its feet. Was using a 300mm F4 w/ 2xTC. 1/640secs, F8, ISO200.

slaam said:
wow you mean the white bellied sea eagle actually tried to steal the heron's fish?
RARE SIGHT siah!!!
the colors are alittle strange.. but i love the wat the heron's head feathers are all standing hahahah
so the fish got away in the end? lol sounds like the chinese poverb kinda story
Slaam, actually the eagle actually swoop into the water and took the fish while the heron stood helpless. Ya, color a little strange. Did not really do much to the pic except for a some USM.

obewan said:
Nevermind about the settings.
You have captured the moment and great action... :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing :)
Thanks obewan.

chngpe01 said:
This always happen :bsmilie: to many of us. That is why I just pack only when I reach my car and to be kiasu I pack the camera last :bsmilie:

Anyway you have captured the moment and it is great enough a shot :thumbsup:

Cheers
Thanks PE.
True true indeed. Many times when I start to leave, wierd looking birds or action appears. Ya, should learn your style next time.

wheels said:
Taken about 2 months back. A rare sight for me.

This grey heron happily caught a fish and it was wobbling on it mouth until when he saw the white bellied flying towards it. Heron threw the fish into the water in a bid to hide it but well ... the rest is history.

_DSC1236.jpg

Cheers

Actually this is very rare 'world class' action. I'm sure you have more sequences.
Keep the files carefully, I think (at least to me) its worth some money $$$
in the education area.

Allan

A great capture there Roger. I like the action/pose of both birds. In moments like these, what we capture is more important than the fact that it is not 100% perfect, in my opinion.

Cast could be due to lighting, say, if taken in the evening sun. You can always do a WB adjustment on PS if you really want to change it I suppose.

Allan Teo said:
Actually this is very rare 'world class' action. I'm sure you have more sequences.
Keep the files carefully, I think (at least to me) its worth some money $$$
in the education area.

Allan

Hi Allan, I do have a bit more sequences but sadly it does not tell the whole story. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I hope there will be another day when this "world class" action evolve in front of me when I am ready to fire. :)

Anyway, posted another part of the series below with color correction.

Cheers

Sree said:
A great capture there Roger. I like the action/pose of both birds. In moments like these, what we capture is more important than the fact that it is not 100% perfect, in my opinion.

Cast could be due to lighting, say, if taken in the evening sun. You can always do a WB adjustment on PS if you really want to change it I suppose.

Thank you Sree, for your encouraging words.
Yes, you are right, the cast is cause by the sun.
Anyhow, posted another one below with the color fixed.

Cheers

Sharing another pose of the 2 in slightly different action. Adjusted the cast and applied USM. Hope it looks better now. :)

_DSC1237%7E0.jpg

Cheers

Both also well taken, #1 more aggresive #2 look like both are dancing though.

The shots are very well done.....good capture of the action.:thumbsup: These kinda situations are what u get from patience and luck, so I htink its time I wore red to go shoot...

Very well capture indeed even though not prepare at all...may I know where is this place?

great capture !

JediForce4ever said:
The shots are very well done.....good capture of the action.:thumbsup: These kinda situations are what u get from patience and luck, so I htink its time I wore red to go shoot...

Thanks JediForce4ever.
Wear red to shoot? :bsmilie:

Thanks John and Mervin.

John, just bring you long mama to Lower Seletar Reservoir which is near Seletar Airport. Best time is during the slightly lower then mid-tide level period.

Cheers. :)

wheels said:
Sharing another pose of the 2 in slightly different action. Adjusted the cast and applied USM. Hope it looks better now. :)

_DSC1237%7E0.jpg

Cheers

If would be nice to use the CLONE tool to create the lost feathers of
the WBSE.. and also increase the dimensions of the canvas.
That would be quite easy

Also using the magic wand tool to highlight the WBSE underwing parts then
applying a bit of shadow highight would improve the photo without touching
the rest of the photo. Love the shots

Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.