White Balance Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Airconvent,
This method of covering the entire lens with the white translucent filter is a way of getting the 'average' WB, since the coffee filter lint will diffuse ALL light going into the camera sensor.

If you want to WB for a particular light, then you'll have to place the coffee filter (or any white material) just under that light, zoom in tight and then follow the procedure as mentioned for manual WB.

Experiment with these two methods in a room where you a mixture of fluorescent lights and incandescent lights... and you will know what I mean. It all depends on what type of light is mainly falling on your subject and what do you want to define as 'white'.

Thanks Alvin.

Airconvent, the light source and make sure zoom in tight that the whole frame is covered.

you might want to read the manual.

- set the camera to AV or M mode.
- switch to Manual focus
- adjust apenture to widest, adjust the focus

Hi istDes,
I am wondering how you are able to adjust the focus if all you see is the plain white sheet covering the entire FOV. There is no contrast or object for you to discern focus. My take is since we are interested in the light level and not sharpness of focus, perhap any focus will do..?
cheers

Airconvent,
This method of covering the entire lens with the white translucent filter is a way of getting the 'average' WB, since the coffee filter lint will diffuse ALL light going into the camera sensor.

If you want to WB for a particular light, then you'll have to place the coffee filter (or any white material) just under that light, zoom in tight and then follow the procedure as mentioned for manual WB.

Experiment with these two methods in a room where you a mixture of fluorescent lights and incandescent lights... and you will know what I mean. It all depends on what type of light is mainly falling on your subject and what do you want to define as 'white'.

Thanks Alvin,
Looks Like I will go out and buy a coffe filter then....:sweatsm:
NTUC has one complete with a handle to hold it...

cheers...

Airconvent,
No focus is necessary... in fact, off-focus is better as the light rays will go all over the entire sensor surface, hence ensuring better mixing for averaging in WB.

Status
Not open for further replies.