Which to buy? CompactDrive or X-Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoky

Mar 17, 2004
Singapore
hoky.multiply.com
I need a portable storage for another of my holidays. Seems like 512mb + 128 ain't enuf nowadays.

I'm intending to get a portable storage like the Image Tank, X-drive...etc.

Till now, I have shortlisted X-Drive II, VP2160 and Compactdrive PD7X.
I'm lost at which would be better as they have their strengths of size, pricing and performance.

What would you get if you are going for long holidays?

i am using X-drive II , on my last trip to China i shot about 100 pics a day, that's a 256mb card a day, so i do one to two transfers to the X-drive everyday. this allow me to use the x-drive for up to a week without any need for charging (in fact for the entire one month trip i only charged it 3 times) transferring images to the PC is very fast.

the physical size of X-drive II is large compared to many other brands, but small enough to carry around. what matters to me is the functionality, which so far i am more than satisfied. hope this give you some idea about the equipment, i do not know about the others that you asked, cheers :)

eikin said:
i am using X-drive II , on my last trip to China i shot about 100 pics a day, that's a 256mb card a day, so i do one to two transfers to the X-drive everyday. this allow me to use the x-drive for up to a week without any need for charging (in fact for the entire one month trip i only charged it 3 times) transferring images to the PC is very fast.

the physical size of X-drive II is large compared to many other brands, but small enough to carry around. what matters to me is the functionality, which so far i am more than satisfied. hope this give you some idea about the equipment, i do not know about the others that you asked, cheers :)

is X-drive II still out in the market? Anyway, that was also my choice due to the price diff between Compactdrive PD7X. I got the Compactdrive and I am very happy with the performance--never failed and faster transfer rate.

jacnjil said:
is X-drive II still out in the market? Anyway, that was also my choice due to the price diff between Compactdrive PD7X. I got the Compactdrive and I am very happy with the performance--never failed and faster transfer rate.

good to hear that, but i am not sure if X-drive II is still being sold since i bought it 6 months back. :)

jacnjil said:

moreover, i used it for my 20-day trip to Europe last month and it didn't drained a pair of 2100mAh NiMH Sanyo rechargeable battery.

IMHO, x-drive transfer speed is too slow...
I am using d70 with 2 1gb lexar card at 40x and 80x each.

on my recent trip, i transfer the data of abt 1 gb per day to the compact drive and it takes me like 5-10mins max and never gives me trouble. Only thing is battery life is not that long as you can only transfer abt 4-5 cards before changing battery (i using 2100mh panasonic batteries). Maybe with the new sanyo 2500mh batteries, it will improve to 6-8 cards (6-8gbs)

jacnjil said:
moreover, i used it for my 20-day trip to Europe last month and it didn't drained a pair of 2100mAh NiMH Sanyo rechargeable battery.

Strange.. i use it for my 18 days Europe trip late last month and it requires 2 charges. i guess you have not shot much? i shot abt 15gb i think.

nemesis32 said:
Strange.. i use it for my 18 days Europe trip late last month and it requires 2 charges. i guess you have not shot much? i shot abt 15gb i think.

oh yeah--i think mine is only 5Gb coz am using only 1.5Mp cam coz my D70 spoiled on the very first day!!!

I'm happy with Compact Drive because:
- easy to use. Just one button and transfer.
- fast.
- just uses 4x AA batteries.
- last me for at least 1 full day of shooting (eg:4Gb of files transfer)

Got myself the compact drive from AP. Actually, I wanted to get the 40GB version but it was out of stock. They quoted me $350 anyway.

But they were selling the empty shell for $185. So I bought the shell and a 40GB Seagate harddisk (5 year warranty for $139). Total cost is $324.

To me, it was a better deal. At least the HD has 5 years warranty.

Another model to consider is QCool OTG III. Picked one up duing my recent weekend visit to Hong Kong :). I put in a Samsung 80GB 5400RPM 2.5" drive for a total of HKD 1550 ( about SGD 329). Very fast as an external USB 2.0 drive and quite acceptable in copying CF card images onto the 2.5" hd.

Copied around 78MB of photos from CF to the internal HD in about 40 seconds, and copied the same 78MB of photos from the QCool to my PC in about 12 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.