Which telephoto for D40?

Status
Not open for further replies.

racoon31e

Oct 12, 2007
Just came back from a trip with my d40 kit and I realised that I'm badly in need of a tele lens. I narrowed down the choices to the 55-200mm VR and 70-300mm VR. And yes, I know the price difference, but is there any great difference in performance?

Thanks.

PS: The 70-200mm F2.8 is way out of budget.

I recommend the 55-200mm VR. Just got it 3 days ago and i love it !!! Selling around $420...

I recommend the 55-200mm VR. Just got it 3 days ago and i love it !!! Selling around $420...

Thanks. Nice shots on your flickr too.

I'm throwing the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 HSM into the fray too. Any opinions?

Thanks. Its really up to you. Don't really know the price for the Sigma. But if its around the 55-200mm, get the 200mm as you will never know when you need the extra 50mm zoomage. Zoomage, LOL.

Thanks. Its really up to you. Don't really know the price for the Sigma. But if its around the 55-200mm, get the 200mm as you will never know when you need the extra 50mm zoomage. Zoomage, LOL.

the sigma is a 2.8 and he never knows when he might need the stoppage. eh... stoppage seems a weird word to use. :bsmilie:

yes, added it there because of the stoppage. haha. i probably want to start shooting some school sports next year and i was wondering if the stoppage will help.

any opinions? which lens will be the best for both street portraits and daylight sports? the 18-55mm is horrid when it comes to street.

Thanks. Nice shots on your flickr too.

I'm throwing the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 HSM into the fray too. Any opinions?

There is an version II of the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 HSM, wonder if its out in SG

yes, added it there because of the stoppage. haha. i probably want to start shooting some school sports next year and i was wondering if the stoppage will help.

any opinions? which lens will be the best for both street portraits and daylight sports? the 18-55mm is horrid when it comes to street.

Huh? 18-55 is one of the sharpes lens around! :nono:
don't look down on this kit lens

nono, i meant sniping from an open bus window. it's a bit too short. for everything else it's quite good.

how's the 70-300mm compared to 55-200mm?

Huh? 18-55 is one of the sharpes lens around! :nono:
don't look down on this kit lens

I second that also. Anyway to TS, why don't you consider Sigma 18-200 OS HSM. Price about $800+

I second that also. Anyway to TS, why don't you consider Sigma 18-200 OS HSM. Price about $800+

Actually helmiz, I'll pay the extra for the Nikon in this case - this is one instance where the money really pays for the image difference (I'm not referring to the build etc)

Actually helmiz, I'll pay the extra for the Nikon in this case - this is one instance where the money really pays for the image difference (I'm not referring to the build etc)

yep, thought of the nikon 18-200 too. is it better to have a all-in-one solution or keep the kit lens and buy a tele?

yep, thought of the nikon 18-200 too. is it better to have a all-in-one solution or keep the kit lens and buy a tele?

Depends on individual. For me, I prefer to be 1-lens man and save the hassle of changing lens.

Thanks. Another question: at 200mm, which lens gives the best performance?

The 55-200, 70-300 or 18-200?

And has anyone used the Sigma 50-150mm on a nikon?

Thanks.

Thanks. Another question: at 200mm, which lens gives the best performance?

The 55-200, 70-300 or 18-200?

And has anyone used the Sigma 50-150mm on a nikon?

Thanks.

70-300, but only marginally.

I think Nikon 18 200 is good enough :)

nono, i meant sniping from an open bus window. it's a bit too short. for everything else it's quite good.

how's the 70-300mm compared to 55-200mm?

The 70-300VR is a good lens to have, if you can afford it. between 70-135mm, it's almost as good as a prime (really!) - up to 200mm, it's pretty darn good, and at 300mm, provided you stop down a little, it delivers. The VR really works well. I haven't used the 55-200, so cannot comment. Incidentally, the 70-300 is a FULL-FRAME lens, can be used on the D3:)

The 70-300VR is a good lens to have, if you can afford it. between 70-135mm, it's almost as good as a prime (really!) - up to 200mm, it's pretty darn good, and at 300mm, provided you stop down a little, it delivers. The VR really works well. I haven't used the 55-200, so cannot comment. Incidentally, the 70-300 is a FULL-FRAME lens, can be used on the D3:)

ouch, the BBB virus. if i could afford a d3...

now, does anyone have anything to say about the 55-200?

Status
Not open for further replies.