Which SLR/ lens combo??? Help please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i personally think that having more focus points is a big plus when considering a camera... i never thought like that before i tried shooting with my macro lens... when everything is on tripod, you can't always lock and recompose... and 11 points is merely enough...

hahaha don't say like that la... It's all marketing. Both Canon and Nikon (and the others too) make good cameras. Nothing to 'distrust' about them. They wouldn't survive in this industry for so long selling inferior products.

The increased number of AF points has a certain advantage. Say you're taking a self-portrait with remote. You want to compose your shot, lock the tripod, and fire with the remote or timer. You can't half-press then recompose, can you?
Also, more AF points is good for tracking moving objects.
I'm sure there are more advantages, but I'm not too familiar with them as well.

To me, the main advantages of the D90 over the D60:
- much improved LCD screen. Triple the resolution I think.
- The increased weight and size of the body feels much nicer in my hands.
- having an extra LCD screen on the top, to see all the settings at one glance.
- having 2 rotating dials (instead of 1) for setting aperture, shutter speed, flash mode, etc.
- ability to trigger an SB600/800/900 remotely using the built-in flash.
- built-in AF motor to use autofocus with Nikkor AF lenses (or 3rd party ones too).
- newer CMOS sensor + software handles noise at high ISOs much better.

not to forget, D90 also have the Automatic chromatic aberration correction in camera, basically it will make any lens to perform better (this may not be a problem if u shoot in RAW), read d90 review on dpreview for more info:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond90/

cheers. :D

I think I'm gonna go for the D90 with kit lens for now...95% sure.

I was reading about circular polarizers which sound really cool for landscapes and through-water shots.

Any other suggestions for (filters) and little things I should buy with the camera?

How can I get those really crisp and detailed portraits where you see every hair?
is it with a macro lens or is it the lighting technique? ...or both?

thanks for your comments BTW : )

I think I'm gonna go for the D90 with kit lens for now...95% sure.

I was reading about circular polarizers which sound really cool for landscapes and through-water shots.

Any other suggestions for (filters) and little things I should buy with the camera?

How can I get those really crisp and detailed portraits where you see every hair?
is it with a macro lens or is it the lighting technique? ...or both?

thanks for your comments BTW : )

Remember not to leave your Circular Polarizers on all the time, and do note you need to turn the filter to have the effect. I retarded-ly left mine on, a long time ago.

Good lens. Not macro. Lighting helps.

Good luck with your purchase.

--------

Forgot D90 had that extra dial, very useful.

agree on what Bro Yoricko mentioned... not to forget that Polarizing filter would stop down for about 2 stops... don't forget to take it off when it's getting darker...

i did took a few pictures that could see every hair with the kit lens... albeit the setting is a little slow but it is sharp...

cool...any other toys I should get? I'm open to suggestion!

cool...any other toys I should get? I'm open to suggestion!

bro... i think you better explore yourself after you got your body and try it out... else the list could be adding on forever... use it and if you got any trouble, google the web or post a question in CS... everyone would be happy to help... if there's hardware limitation, don't worry... CS forummers would poison you with BBB poisons... ;p

i got my camera 5 months ago and i'm still buying things until today.. the last purchase was yesterday... :embrass:

I own a spanking new Nikon D90 w/ 18-105 !

Complete with full worldwide warranty.

Went to the authorised dealer with my dad's words ringing in my head:

Remember that quality remains...long after the pain of paying.

48,000 all in ...200 pounds extra for that peace of mind : )

It's worth every penny to have the 100% guarantee that I haven't been

sold a lemon.

thanks for your advice dudes.

Worldwide warranty for both the camera body and the lens?
If I'm not mistaken, the camera body only comes with a local warranty, in the country of purchase.
The lens has an international warranty.

Don't worry so much! Now go out and shoot shoot shoot! :)

I own a spanking new Nikon D90 w/ 18-105 !
Complete with full worldwide warranty.

Congratulations on your purchase !!

If I'm not mistaken, the camera body only comes with a local warranty, in the country of purchase.
The lens has an international warranty.

You might want to confirm again if the body enjoy worldwide warranty. Usually only lens are accorded worldwide warranty. Body is local, in the country of purchase.

Shoot more :)

Cheers !!

I clearly asked the guy, in Sunny Cameras (MBK) authorised dealer of Nikon, if it had a worldwide warranty and he said "yes".
I then asked "Worldwide for both body and lens"...he said "yes".

So either he's lying, mistaken or it is a worldwide warranty. I was very deliberate with what I asked.

I now understand why other shops (including two highly recommended shops) say Nikon service is no good in Thailand. It is because they are selling grey market cameras and Nikon charges 5000 baht to look at them. So their warranty is meaningless.

Either way I feel happy that I haven't got a dud, refit, return or rip off...so I am content.
He said if there is a problem they will send the camera on the same day free of charge.

So now I'm off to capture the sights of Bangkok with my new beast!

hmmm I wonder what to shoot... :D

woo hoo!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.