Which Protable Didital Photo Storage Device to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinVin72

Aug 12, 2004
Singapore
Hi,

I wanted to buy a protable digital photo storage device but not sure brand is reliable? Can anyone who use these devices ebfore recommend some to me ?What is the price and where can I get it?

Thank you

If u r travelling always and is a heavy shooter, then it is a good investment, otherwise u can survive with 2 512MB card with ur DC.

U can try the buy/sell section, a few X-Drive's is being sold there, good bargain indeed.

There r another new gadget coming out, portable reader + CDRW transfer, namely from the brand Fotobar and Apacer. Cost around $360 - $400.

Maybe you could invest in more CF cards, they have come down in price a lot lately. Now a Kingston 512 is just $89. They are nearly indestructible too.

X-Drive's built in battery may fail after 1 year of service.

er... sorry to hijack ur thread... but where did u (wshooter)
see the kingston 512 for $89?

looking to get a few more cards see thanks yah ;)

WinVin72 said:
Hi,

I wanted to buy a protable digital photo storage device but not sure brand is reliable? Can anyone who use these devices ebfore recommend some to me ?What is the price and where can I get it?

Thank you

The best in terms of functions will be Nixvue DA Lite. This one comes with "file verify" function that ensure your transfer between CF and Nixvue is perfect. Without the verification, u cannot tell whether your transfer is complete or corrupt free. Nixvue can also use AA batteries with a proper adapter.

CompactDrive is another latest popular choice base on price, speed and AA battery usage. I heard the new firmware allows some limited file scan function.

Malakite said:
er... sorry to hijack ur thread... but where did u (wshooter)
see the kingston 512 for $89?

looking to get a few more cards see thanks yah ;)

I heard Best Bargain at SLS is selling it. But be warned, this one is very old slow speed card.

Eastgear was selling at $99. But I am not sure of the speed unless someone is willing to post the CF card edge stamp no for verification.

Yup, it is a slow card, Rob Galbraith's site tested it to be around 1MB/s on a 10D (which tops out at 1.3MB/s anyway). It was on sale in Comex recently at $89 too.

kingston 512 is good ! :think:

Who sells all these storage devices? Got an airshow in Japan in 2 weeks and would like to get one for the trip just in case. Can't afford to lose the pics if something happens to my microdrive!

Hi, thank you very much for all your replies. I already have a 1GB CF. The reason I want to get one protable digital storage is because I will be going for a long trip on this Nov(more than two weeks). Therefore 1GB is definitely not enough. Keep buying extra CF doesn't seems to be good long term soution. A more practical and cheaper way is to buy a protable digital storage device.

shutterbug,
May I know where can I get Nixvue DA Lite or CompactDrive ?

hafele
Where can I find the portable reader + CDRW transfer (Fotobar and Apacer) that you mentioned?

Thank you for the advise. :)

It's sold at Sim Lim Square, the shop name is Top Universal.

Apacer i not sure, heard is sold at SLS too but dunno which shop.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.