Which local photography mag to get? need advise from all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
likefunyouare said:
I read Photography Monthly as well. :thumbsup:
Main reason: William Cheung... sarcastic and funny guy.. :)
He used to write for Practical Photography.
The only turn off is the price: S$16.90 per issue. Expensive...
yea true... lucky can get 5% discount at times bookstore... phew... I'm gonna try to subscribe for it though... This month can get a Tamrac camera bag! :bsmilie:

hmmmmmmm
just sharing my personal experiences on some mags that i read b4.

Grain - inspirational mag! gives a lot of fresh ideas! doesnt have too much info or news on accessories though.

photoi - so so la. everything also like not adequate..... but worth a good read, furthermore is FREE! haha. so just get and read la (i subscribe to it so not actually free....)

Practical Photography - teaches a lot of techniques and also lots of info on accessories, cams and other tech stuffs! not as inspirational as grain though.. certainly a good buy! (if not for the price tag)

so far this are some i read b4.
i browse thru amatuer photography, popular, and digital... all not my type la.... gonna try those B&W ones soon! will update when i get my hand on them.

hope it helps!

Hmm, before I returned to Singapore, I buy Practical Photography and Photography Monthly regularly in the UK. Good tips, but both have a strong UK bias in terms of shooting locations, and one can't use all the information presented blindly. And I must agree that William Cheung is quite good. Before his arrival at Photography Monthly, the magazine is very VERY bad, but now it has really beefed out its informational content.

Oops! So Will Cheung went over to Photography Monthly? Sorry for my ignorance. But I did learn alot from Practical Photography when Will was still there and it's now a little stale without him. I still buy PP as I am grateful that I've learnt so much from them.

I have subscribed to Practical Photography and Photography Monthly for about a year and although the magazines have been very useful, they do end up repeating themselves. For examples, both magazines usually have a focus on Mono every six months or so...

Therefore I won't be re-subscribing but would like a local magazine that comes close to their standards. At the moment, Lightbox is woefully bad (IMHO of course). I actually wrote to the editor pointing out the numerous examples of poor grammar and spelling, offering some proof-reading services for free but received no reply. Grain just needs to be a bit, well....Bigger.

If any newbies would like to read the articles I have kept from all the UK mags, I could meet them and bring the files along. Buy me coffee lah!

Phildate said:
If any newbies would like to read the articles I have kept from all the UK mags, I could meet them and bring the files along. Buy me coffee lah!
Your singlish is most powderfull

anyone read mags like "american photo", "picture", "professional photography"? they are value for $ as they hv less ads and pro-level news, reviews, happenings....

LOL!
I just bought myself a copy of Photography Monthly from this nice guy at the raffles mrt newstand (he always give discounts, this time more than a dollar! Hooray!) who is going to move to 'proper' shop next door next month.
First impressions:

1. The paper- and print- qualities are superb.
2. More pages than PP.
3. More guest- and pro- photographers than PP.
4. They would show step-by-step in series of photos and even some bad ones which I find very comprehensive.
5. Will Cheung is there!
6. This month's copy includes zoom lens review. Sadly, the free lens I just got from Canon was snorted at. But at least now I know were kind of settings to produce better results. Phew!
7. Did I mention Sir Cheung is there?

I don't think I'll subscribe it and so if there should be any repetitions, I'll just skip that particular month.

One thing I do agree with fellow bros here is that we should have a powderful local mag with localised reviews and tips-and-tricks plus more user involvements, be it competitions, outings and free stuff (like a free camera bad or something).
;p

BTW bro Phildate,

You are not only powderful linguistically, the photos in your gallery are nothing short of amazing!

:embrass: i buy Asian Photography : Asia-Pacific Edition. It cost only $6 and offer tips on photo taking. Very good for poor newbe like me.
:eek: But it's from india, with office in singapore.
;) the copy (july) i got shows you how to shoot birds, like what lens, shutter speed, or aperture to use, etc..... :thumbsup:

So no-one wants to buy me coffee and borrow about 2 years worth of articles from PP and PM? Shame - I'm so thirsty right now!!

overcrash said:
.... gonna try those B&W ones soon! will update when i get my hand on them.

This is OT, but since B&W was raised, I might give my 2 cents.

1 Black & white photography (UK)
2 The Black & White Enthusiast (Australian)
3 B&W Magazine
4 Lenswork

1 & 2 are more "general" in their scope, with equipment reviews techniques, techniques, etc.

3 & 4 are "pure photography" with practically no equipment talks. They have useful conceptual articles, interviews, useful editorials,etc. But the qualities of the photos are very good, particularly Lenswork.

I subscribe to 2 & 4.

For the local magazines? Sorry for being a cheapskate! I just browse them in the bookstore.

student said:
....For the local magazines? Sorry for being a cheapskate! I just browse them in the bookstore.

Me too!!! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: I juz browse them in the bookstore whenever i pass by one.
Reason : Save $$ and most impt one is save space in my room. Last time every month buy PP, Photo Monthly and a few more Photography magazines....all packed into boxes and now room bo space liao!! if still buy muz sleep toilet liao!! :cry: :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.