Which lens to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henessy

Feb 1, 2006
Bishan
www.henessyphoto.blogspot.com
Hi, I am making a choice between the tamron 17-35, f2.8-4 di lens, and the Sigma 24-70, f2.8 ex dg macro lens.
The main purpose of buying either one of the above lens is for event coverage.My main concern is about sharpness of the lens at f2.8,as well as the range.

The Tamron is sharp and wide enough.However, its range is rather short and not really versatile.

On the other hand, the Sigma has a versatile range, but I am not sure whether it is wide enough for most event coverage.

Pls give your comments on which of the above mentioned lens I should get.No other recommendation pls.I will get one of the above lens

It wud surely help if u r more specific s to wat event u r referrin to... :dunno:

Henessy said:
Hi, I am making a choice between the tamron 17-35, f2.8-4 di lens, and the Sigma 24-70, f2.8 ex dg macro lens.
The main purpose of buying either one of the above lens is for event coverage.My main concern is about sharpness of the lens at f2.8,as well as the range.

The Tamron is sharp and wide enough.However, its range is rather short and not really versatile.

On the other hand, the Sigma has a versatile range, but I am not sure whether it is wide enough for most event coverage.

Pls give your comments on which of the above mentioned lens I should get.No other recommendation pls.I will get one of the above lens

Should seriously get the Nikon 17-35mm.... bro here will tell you it's the best in it's class... or at least put that as a choice lor... becuase you in N forum leh... :thumbsup: :lovegrin:

May I better understand what do you mean by "event coverage"? Wedding? Tea ceremony? Indoor sports? Catwalk? etc?

Btw, there is no single magic lens that works wonder although 85mm f/1.4 has been crown'ed "The Magic Lens" somehow.

Just my 2-cent. ;)

Digital or Film? If you can answer this your question might be easier to solve.

espn said:
Digital or Film? If you can answer this your question might be easier to solve.

You are save, the King is here to help........ :thumbsup: :lovegrin: ..... but hor be careful of the virus..... :devil:

longkangman said:
I will go for AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED or AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED.
No need reason, once I save enough I will go buy. :thumbsup:

wah bro, don't posion me like that..... I save enough, go for 17-35 & 70-200 and 200-400.... and join the rank of the condor shooter.... :lovegrin:

He's askin for an opinion of either of e 2 lenses he listed n he also mentioned "No other recommendation pls".

I wonder if some of u guys r illiterate or simply oblivious? :dunno:

N-user said:
wah bro, don't posion me like that..... I save enough, go for 17-35 & 70-200 and 200-400.... and join the rank of the condor shooter.... :lovegrin:

AF-S VR 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED :thumbsup: TSM
later get Teleconverter TC-17E II your are ready. :devil:

actually the problem i have with tamron is that its a f2.8 - 4 rather than a straight f2.8 I would go for the sigma if i can forgo the coverage of 17mm-23mm....:think:

I may using digital.Need one of the mentioned lens for group photos, prize presentation and may be some sport coverage.Hopw this will help.

Thanks

You can always rent! :bsmilie:

Renting lens is not worth it over the long term.Pls provide your suggestions on which of the aboved mentioned lens is better.NO OTHER RECOMMENDATION PLS!!!

Henessy said:
Renting lens is not worth it over the long term.Pls provide your suggestions on which of the aboved mentioned lens is better.NO OTHER RECOMMENDATION PLS!!!

You also din mention that it's for long term but for event. Could be one or two events only. Now u say long term. Short term, renting is a good solution for you to try out these lenses.

But IMO, get the Nikon AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED or AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED. Wun regret one. No $$, save up is my recomendation.

Buy either the tamron 17-35, f2.8-4 di lens, and the Sigma 24-70, f2.8 ex dg macro, later want to change to either the Nikon AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED or AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED, sell, loose $$. Might as well get the "best", then dun need to invest further liao! I'm sure MANY here will agree with me.

well, not every1 is able to afford the best. if he chooses to upgrade next time, he'll loose ard 100-200 in resale but he got to shoot the events he would otherwise miss had he choose to save up.

jackas_hero said:
well, not every1 is able to afford the best. if he chooses to upgrade next time, he'll loose ard 100-200 in resale but he got to shoot the events he would otherwise miss had he choose to save up.

Since this is the Nikon sub-forum, people would be recommending Nikon lenses. And besides, he is asking regarding lenses. :dunno:

Since die die need either lenses, I would sway towards the tamron 17-35, f2.8-4 di lor.

Henessy said:
I may using digital.Need one of the mentioned lens for group photos, prize presentation and may be some sport coverage.Hopw this will help.

Thanks
Then it's obvious isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.