Which filter serve better for Nikkor 105mm Micro f/2.8 len?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angrybatman

Apr 10, 2009
Seeking comments from all the CS master here.
Recently i just bought my Nikkor 105mm Micro f/2.8 len, the salesman was introduced me to buy B+W UV-HAZE filter as he claim that this is very good filter.

Is this true? Should i consider another brand/ model of filter?

Yes B+W are very good filters but quite expensive. If budget is not an issue then go for it. Otherwise you can consider Hoya HMC/SHMC filters.

Normally for macro, using of filters is strongly discouraged. ading more glass will only degrade the pic quality.. i only use Nikon NC filter for protection when using it other than shooting macro. my thoughts? dun nid to spurge so much on B+W filter, a normal wil do and remove it when doing macro.

B+W is an excellent filter, but I usually prefer to not use a filter when shooting macro.

You guys very cute lei, after you have encountered a frog jumping into the front of the Lens, or a moth resting on your lens Front, i bet all of you would rush for a filter..... Once i go near a static frog at quite a considerable distance, but it jumped onto Me out of no reason.. Yes yes they are sticky, waxy and slimy.. You get wat i mean rite.....

You guys very cute lei, after you have encountered a frog jumping into the front of the Lens, or a moth resting on your lens Front, i bet all of you would rush for a filter..... Once i go near a static frog at quite a considerable distance, but it jumped onto Me out of no reason.. Yes yes they are sticky, waxy and slimy.. You get wat i mean rite.....

Haha... I guess I did not clarify that I shoot flora.

Nevermind, can always wash off with soap. :bsmilie:

Normally for macro, using of filters is strongly discouraged. ading more glass will only degrade the pic quality.. i only use Nikon NC filter for protection when using it other than shooting macro. my thoughts? dun nid to spurge so much on B+W filter, a normal wil do and remove it when doing macro.

This is true for any lens. Adding any kind of extra glass simply degrades the image, whether you can see or observe this degradation is another matter. That said, for macro lenses the elements tend to be some way in... yet, personally, I cover all my lenses with filters, and some times ignore lens caps.

-- Marios

TS, to answer your "Which filter serve better for Nikkor 105mm Micro f/2.8 len?" question, I think B+W UV-HAZE is very good enough for you since I assume you do not know much about filter (as you asked such question).

By comparing a good filter vs non-filter used... sometimes I just wonder can those who claim any filter will degrade picture quality tells how much degradation they will experience by looking at 2 photos taken with/without filter.

Of course, we all know (by physics) that any extra glass will introduce degradation, but I just don't know how good filter can degrade a picture until one can tell the difference.

But at least I know any unwanted stains or dirts landing on my filter is way better than landing on my front element.

TS, to answer your "Which filter serve better for Nikkor 105mm Micro f/2.8 len?" question, I think B+W UV-HAZE is very good enough for you since I assume you do not know much about filter (as you asked such question).

By comparing a good filter vs non-filter used... sometimes I just wonder can those who claim any filter will degrade picture quality tells how much degradation they will experience by looking at 2 photos taken with/without filter.

Of course, we all know (by physics) that any extra glass will introduce degradation, but I just don't know how good filter can degrade a picture until one can tell the difference.

But at least I know any unwanted stains or dirts landing on my filter is way better than landing on my front element.

I could not agree with you more!!

To TS, get the BW or similar quality type, put it on and do not take it out anymore.

If one day, you really (I mean you REALLY REALLY) found that it degrades your shot, then remove it.

Avoid being a transponder, - it wont help you in being a better shooter. Whereas the little extra less protection of without filter has real practical risk!

Status
Not open for further replies.