Which DVD writer to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually use DVD+RW's. Bought some overseas at around $4 per piece and $5 per piece at the IT fair in March.

tokrot said:
I am also considering buying a DVDwriter since I had lost 50 gig of data recently... :sweat: But dunno which brand is most preferred.

TDK 8x is selling $139 already (i notice they always spoil the market to be the first to cut their price) :bsmilie:

it is the cheapest DVD writer u can find, yet quality is quite good too

Wai said:
TDK 8x is selling $139 already (i notice they always spoil the market to be the first to cut their price) :bsmilie:

They just came with a 12x dvd writer....anyone has test it yet?

Pro Image said:
They just came with a 12x dvd writer....anyone has test it yet?

yup, got 2 units with me now

burn time about 7+min, just 2 minute faster than 8x, but cost $200+, u think worth it meh?

also, there are no 12x media in the market, only imation 8x can burn at 12x at the moment, not even verbatim 8x can do 12x

Wai said:
yup, got 2 units with me now

burn time about 7+min, just 2 minute faster than 8x, but cost $200+, u think worth it meh?

also, there are no 12x media in the market, only imation 8x can burn at 12x at the moment, not even verbatim 8x can do 12x

thanks dude! so better off with a pioneer 8x for the moment. wai, what do u think about the sony 8x dual layer?

Pro Image said:
thanks dude! so better off with a pioneer 8x for the moment. wai, what do u think about the sony 8x dual layer?

Sony is rather slow for DVD writing and media compatibility not as good as others

but if u still need to burn CD frequently, Sony is good because it can write to CD-R@40x and CD-RW@24x. On the other hand, Pioneer is fast for DVD writing (although they are all 8x, Pioneer writing technique is much better and that can make a lot of different) but slower for CD writing (only 24x!)

FYI, Sony, Pioneer are made in China while TDK is made in malaysia

so China or Malaysia is better?

sigh.... I paid >$400 for my dvd writer.... but it saved me once already, so I guess it's still worth it.

mpenza said:
sigh.... I paid >$400 for my dvd writer.... but it saved me once already, so I guess it's still worth it.

The first DVD writer that i have tried is the Pioneer 1x, comes with 4-digits price tag, that was like 3 years ago, each piece of DVD-R cost $25 and the first two DVD-R that come out from this writer were coaster :angry:

nightwolf75 said:
those want to buy blank DVR-R, can try chamoxa at funan. they are selling 10pieces of mitsubishi 4x at $22 and comes with jewel cases.

There's this shop near the escalator on 4th floor that sells small cheap accessories (the lady behind counter always calls out "Hi, Can I help?" whenever you walk in). They are selling x4 Verbatim DVD-Rs at $45 for 25 pieces, ( $1.8 per piece ). very good price. Or if you want really cheap media, you can get them at 0.85 to $1.2 per piece for unbranded ones, depending on how many pieces you buy, from ATF ( SLS 4th floor ).

Wai said:

TDK should be good. They are NEC 2500A OEM.
Speaking of OEM, anywone knows where to buy NEC2510A dual layer dual format drives for a good price ?

chriszzz said:
TDK should be good. They are NEC 2500A OEM.
Speaking of OEM, anywone knows where to buy NEC2510A dual layer dual format drives for a good price ?

TDK's latest 12x writer is a Lite-on OEM

very small in size, great for those who are using those mini-casings

Wai said:

Thanks... Was already considering the TDK brand.. :D but how's media compatibility? 8x might be abit slow but 12x is it ready worth the money?? Thanks..

Wai, not really, I'm using the Mitsubishi AZO crystal black media, $13 for 5 (got them at $12 cos I whacked a 50 pieces at one go). I don't really think that's considered branded right? Pretty fine and durable. Anyway.. hee.., I wanna play with RW next.

8x slow?? Burned one piece at 4x the other day, took me 10+ mins for 4GB of data, would consider it very fast already. Since you're burning to keep, probably any slower speed would be good, I prefer to burn at 2x but then was testing the capability of the drive so I burned at 4x. 5Mb/s thereabouts. I didn't get any 8x DVDRs to try the speed of the drive.

i got my verbatim dvd+Rs at 45 bucks for 25 pcs at sim lim
#05-66, but then 4X only tho, but i din mind the lower speed lar, 4X is already 5meg plus /second burning liaoz. so ya. thats wat i reco.

Totally agreed :thumbsup: 4x on DVD and 4x on CDROM is totally different ! :)

4x on dvd-r/+rw/-rw is it something like 16~24x on cdr/rw? :think:

OK REALLY stupid question, but if I get a DVD writer, can I use it to burn my CDR as well?

I've hardly used my CD writer, and now it's obsolete. I've got lots of CDR's lying around (always wanted to backup but never got around to it). Can still use the CDR to pass files around to my frens. But can I use the DVD writer to burn CDR's?

Thanks.

BTW I gather the consensus is to get the TDK DVD writers? Cheap and good?

StreetShooter said:
OK REALLY stupid question, but if I get a DVD writer, can I use it to burn my CDR as well?
Yes.

StreetShooter said:
I've hardly used my CD writer, and now it's obsolete. I've got lots of CDR's lying around (always wanted to backup but never got around to it). Can still use the CDR to pass files around to my frens. But can I use the DVD writer to burn CDR's?
Yes.

StreetShooter said:
BTW I gather the consensus is to get the TDK DVD writers? Cheap and good?
I vote for Plextor if you can afford them, else TDK is just about fine ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.