Whats the cheapest combination for shooting macro with the D70

Status
Not open for further replies.
jazzart said:
Wah...this seems to be the best bet,for the amount of Money paid.

With Telephoto, and Macro abilities.

** But please enlighten...what do you mean by not the best picture quality. Will the picture quality be very bad?

Bro,

2nd hand 50/1.8 in very good condition can be had for $120. I got mine from a nice gentleman and the glass is 3 months old with nary a scratch on the mental mount. But note, if you are going this route with a reversal ring, you are basically mounting the lens the other way round and metering is going to be unavailable, you focus by moving to and from the subject (not a big issue since most like to MF with macro).

A good macro like tamron SP90, sigma 105 is basically a good prime lens which focuses really close (ie 20cm or less). Together with a good focal length like 90, 100mm, this is gonna give you a good reproduction ratio, eg 1:1 and better up till 10:1. The Sigma 70-300 actually is not a true macro, but at 1:4 it is still ok. The pic quality is not very bad and it's usable. It depends on what are you after. Are you going to shoot a housefly and expect it to fill up the whole frame and you can count the micro hairs on its legs one by one?

Interestingly, due to CCD and lens specs, p&s digicams got excellent macro capabilities. Even a entry-level prosumer like Oly C5050 can focus down to 3cm at around 50mm (35mm equivalent). Or a F828 can do down to 2cm. Though CCD quality is not good at 100% viewing, resize it to 5R size and you have got great results. Some more for macro, you'd usually give it enough light whenever possible and if you flash you could flash closely, so using low ISOs (low noise) on p&s is not a problem. The increased DOF of a p&s compared to a dSLR cam may very work for the photog too. Of coz this doesn't apply to you, this could be an alternative for others.

renegade said:
i use that for macro too (although i seldom shoot macro). note that it doesn't do 1:1 macro though, and shooting at ard 200 to 300mm macro, try to use a tripod (at least i find it so). but overall this is a good economical lens.

Should bear in mind that 70-300mm macro is only have macro function at 300mm and it hunts like crazy. The image is also a bit soft and not quite practical to shoot macro at 300mm for a d70 user as it will becomes 450mm. So unless you are shooting macro of the Lion's ears or something like that, usage is minimal. Trust me, i own d70, 70-300mm from sigma. And the fact is i like the sigma lens as it is light and cheap. when i go out, i just bring the 18-70 & 70-300. However, be prepared for some happy hunting (difficulty in focusing) when under low light.

what about the extension ring with the 50mm f1.8?

Which one is better?
extention ring or BR-2A reversal ring?

gadrian said:
It is currently out of stock.. but I have ordered a couple through Cathay.. including the BR3 and BR5.. so if you interested.. I will you informed..

I am interested. Please let me know.

:) Thanks in advance.

Hi, i have tried D70 with ext tube+50mm, the metering system will failed. I not sure is my ext. tube not compatible with D70.

nemesis32 said:
Should bear in mind that 70-300mm macro is only have macro function at 300mm and it hunts like crazy. The image is also a bit soft and not quite practical to shoot macro at 300mm for a d70 user as it will becomes 450mm. So unless you are shooting macro of the Lion's ears or something like that, usage is minimal. Trust me, i own d70, 70-300mm from sigma. And the fact is i like the sigma lens as it is light and cheap. when i go out, i just bring the 18-70 & 70-300. However, be prepared for some happy hunting (difficulty in focusing) when under low light.

I rarely (and from what i read, many others don't too) use AF when doing Macro.

ztsen said:
Hi, i have tried D70 with ext tube+50mm, the metering system will failed. I not sure is my ext. tube not compatible with D70.

What model of Extension Tube are you using?

ztsen said:

Kenko tubes are the only one with the electrical contacts to preserve AF and meterinng. All of the Nikon extension tubes are, sad to say, extremly out dated with no electrical contacts, so you will not get any metering with your D70. Metering is only possible on the pro end AF bodies as well as the manual cameras.

nemesis32 said:

When using macro most ppl use Manual Focus. Depth of field is shallow so you want to get it right yourself. I am using the sigma 70-300mm APO II macro too and have no real complaints especially considering the price unless you want the very good quality pics of more expensive primes. Being casualy interested in macro only, I like the flexiblility of the zoom range and its beautiful bokeh. Macro quality is not bad from f8 onwards. Btw, the newer 70-300 has a macro range of 200-300mm instead of only 300mm only.

grado said:
When using macro most ppl use Manual Focus. Depth of field is shallow so you want to get it right yourself. I am using the sigma 70-300mm APO II macro too and have no real complaints especially considering the price unless you want the very good quality pics of more expensive primes. Being casualy interested in macro only, I like the flexiblility of the zoom range and its beautiful bokeh. Macro quality is not bad from f8 onwards. Btw, the newer 70-300 has a macro range of 200-300mm instead of only 300mm only.

how much ???

I assume is without internal focus???

yoyo said:
how much ???

I assume is without internal focus???

Without internal focus. I think i got it for around $320-$340. Can't really remember.

25936290.jpg

Nikkor 50mmf1.8 with HOYA +4

Apparently very very sharp, and very very cheap. But I was hoping to go even nearer, but I cant. But lighting will become an issue then. So, for now... I'll make do with it before I get a Sigma 105mm macro or Nikkor 60 someday. There is no real substitution for a real macro lens.

I have the SIGMA 70-300 as well, and the Nikkor with Hoya beats it hands down. Sharpness difference apparent even in 640x480.

Ajeesh said:
'Justarius' told me to try close-up filters for macro. I am quite happy with Nikon No 6T. Of course there will be a reduction in sharpness. It cost me 78$ from CP.

I looked for the BR -2 ring but I couldn't find it. Any idea where to get it ?

If you pay $78 for that filter that can only be used for a particular lens, you might as well get a Teleplus 25mm auto-extension tube for less than $100. The tube arrangement is about the best, in terms of optical performance, handling, and can be used for almost any lens, except of course wide angles. And of course, those lens with bad close focusing distance like 2.5m, it's bad. Otherwise, any lens longer than 85 or so will be fine. And the tube is readily available, new or used. And 25mm is about the most useful. Shorter tube means you get little additional magnification. Longer tube - you end up with very restricted focusing range.

smallaperture said:
If you pay $78 for that filter that can only be used for a particular lens, you might as well get a Teleplus 25mm auto-extension tube for less than $100. The tube arrangement is about the best, in terms of optical performance, handling, and can be used for almost any lens, except of course wide angles. And of course, those lens with bad close focusing distance like 2.5m, it's bad. Otherwise, any lens longer than 85 or so will be fine. And the tube is readily available, new or used. And 25mm is about the most useful. Shorter tube means you get little additional magnification. Longer tube - you end up with very restricted focusing range.

The filter can be used with all lenses <62mm filter thread; just get a step up ring. Diopters are more convenient in the field than extension tubes, and this is speaking from personal experience. Just screw it on in front and you are set. Extension tubes are more fiddly, and this is especially true if you are using the original Nikon tubes like me. Ever tried the 180mm/2.8 with a PN-11? It's heavy enough that I shoot it from the tripod most of the time.

It's true though that extension tubes have lesser optical compromises than adding a diopter, but there is still the problem of light fall off if you stack too much extension. But if you need the magnification, then obviously everything goes... tubes, diopters and teleconvertors.

Incidentally, teleconvertors might be a very good option for micro as you retain the minimum focussing distance. So a 2X to the 105mm/2.8 means a reproduction ratio of 2:1, or a 1:1 at twice the working distance of before. I haven't tried this though and see what the optical quality is like, but a reading of John Shaw seems to suggest that it isn't bad... a TC is the next thing on my hit list :D

A sample pic of the cheap sigma macro 70-300mm APO II taken at the Botanical Gardens, hand held... The long range is an advantage for jumpy insects and it has beautiful bokeh...

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2436653&size=lg

Of coz prime macro can give better sharpness and less distortion, but having a 70-300mm range for macro or street/portrait use and costing only around $340, I'm not complaining!

crazypaladin said:
Does anyone knows micro lens + teleconvertor increases or decreases magnification? Intend to try a Teleplus 2X convertor on my micro 60mm f/2.8D lens.

be carefull, the rear elements might clash. But you will get 2X the magnification. At closest focussing distance, you will be at 2:1 instead of 1:1. And thus you get more working distance too if you shoot at 1:1 (1:2 setting on the lens).

my advice to u is get a true macro lens...
I lead a long way before getting a sigma 180mm macro...buy 50mm 1.8 and +4 closeup... not satisfied with the distortion ard the edges and the magnification. Then I bought the sigma 70-300...cheapo long range, gives very sharp closeup but macro still a way to go...(very recommended!!! a MUST get if u have budget constraint - 300mm and 1:2 macro..cannot complaint!)

Then finally get a 180mm macro. Sharpness is top notch and also acts as a damn sharp protrait at f3.5. Since its a longgg 180mm macro I always get too close..(always forget) guess I should have get a 100mm macro 2.8 in the first place.

My advice to u is dig ur pocket and get a true macro and u will never forget....and actually there is nothing to experiment with wat reverse lens ah extension lens....cos most of us already did. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.