What's the advantage of Gitzo tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
they way i see people using their domke or berlingham bags, soo precious, of cause can last lar. if i were to use them, i seriously dont think i will be seeing much difference with my tenba bag or lowepro.

i throw my billingham on punggol beach sand.. i throw it everywhere, it's still going

if you buy things to become slave to the thing, might as well don't buy :bsmilie:

i'm currently using Manfrotto 055pro .. would like to buy a CF Gitzo . Any recommendations? Prices?

I bought my GT1541 from OP for $770 (cash price, GST included). used it for a few times now, no regrets, much better than my 190xprob. :thumbsup:

G-Lock + ALR = worth its weight in gold
Durability - 25 years?
Sturdiness + dampening properties - comes from the joints between the leg extensions and the Power Disc
Huge range of tripods for very specialized use - Need a shot on side of cliff while rock climbing? Try the explorer.
One time investment - Guaranteed

Try this test. Buy a CF Gitzo and a CF Benro, after a month of use, see which one you sell. And if you are one to bother about investment value, check out which one retains its value better in B&S.

Last edited:
1st one up to 1.8m & thought that was enough , 2nd one b cos realized at certain places need to go up 3m, 3rd one went for travel & found the above 2 too big to move around like a sparrow :think:

Wonder what pop up next :dunno:

Volks, is it okay to share the 3 tripods model it will be interesting to know which Gitzo tripod folks use and why they choose a particular model. Hope to learn more about the various model before I pick up one ;)

Thanks

They're most certainly overpriced, but as of now the G-lock is actually quite good. If anyone remembers the early days of CS I had a strong dislike for the way Gitzo legs unlocked.

Also, they're one of the few players if you want a strong tripod without breaking your back. By that I mean carbon fibre tripods in the 3 and 5 series range. I don't think there're Sachtlers in Singapore, and I'm less sure if Lau brings in the larger Velbon kit.

What about wooden tripods like Ries or Berlebach. Won't they damp vibration well too?
Please share your comments on aluminium Gitzo and basalt tripods too.

[youtubehq]X8VDU6qYiUY[/youtubehq]

Here's a video of a Berlebach tripod. What do you guys think of it.

anuar, here's the qoute from Patek Philippe Watches ad 'You never own a Patek, you just hold it for the next generation'

it has a similiar meaning :)

Now I knew what's the different. No wonder Gitzo sell at a premium while other China product can come up at a cheap price for Carbon fiber tripod.

But then again there're so many Gitzo model. Do you guy use other material beside carbon fiber?

But then again there're so many Gitzo model. Do you guy use other material beside carbon fiber?

I bought the CF model because I want a lightweight tripod for travel. :)

if mobility and weight is my top priority which is the gitzo model to get?
im using a 450d and 70 - 200 2.8 lens. with plans to upgrade to ff in near future ;p

if mobility and weight is my top priority which is the gitzo model to get?
im using a 450d and 70 - 200 2.8 lens. with plans to upgrade to ff in near future ;p

If budget no issue, I would recommend a GT1541 or GT1531 coupled with an arca swiss or compatible ballhead such as Markins/RRS. Reason being that for your setup, normal ballhead might creep if you were to shoot in portrait orientation. therefore, might as well get a good ballhead that can last the long haul.

I went thru the route of first getting Manfrotto 190xprob+488RC0 before selling it off and settling on GT1541+markins Q3...wasted some $$ along the way due to loss in selling off first setup and recent Gitzo price increase...:)

If budget no issue, I would recommend a GT1541 or GT1531 coupled with an arca swiss or compatible ballhead such as Markins/RRS. Reason being that for your setup, normal ballhead might creep if you were to shoot in portrait orientation. therefore, might as well get a good ballhead that can last the long haul.

I went thru the route of first getting Manfrotto 190xprob+488RC0 before selling it off and settling on GT1541+markins Q3...wasted some $$ along the way due to loss in selling off first setup and recent Gitzo price increase...:)
Perhaps a 2 series such as GT2531 will be a better option for the FF camera with 70-200mm f/2.8? Also can consider using L-Plate with quick release plate if going the route of Acra Swiss compatible ballhead?

EDIT: just saw the mobility part. Then GT1541 would be my choice.

Last edited:
The 1541T is *not* recommended for a 70-200/2.8 type lens. Between the weight and the rigidity needed for the 200mm end, the 1541T is simply too light and small a tripod. Use the IS if needed, else learn to lug the tripod around. A 2 series is minimum.

anuar, here's the qoute from Patek Philippe Watches ad 'You never own a Patek, you just hold it for the next generation'

it has a similiar meaning

No it simply doesn't. And for one thing, watches are definitely in the overpriced segment of goods. They value is highly subjective. Let's talk about tools rather than mechanical jewellery, shall we?

Back to tripods. I'm certainly not so much willing to use Gitzo's first gen CF tripods compared to current generation tripods from just about any respectable make. Manfrotto's CF tripods are well built, and I have a soft spot for the Velbons. Both will get the job done well compared to a similar Gitzo tripod for a lot less money.

Wooden tripods are great, but they can get heavy. While I'm not one to complain about weight first, they certainly aren't light. Sturdy wooden tripods start around 3kg.

The 1541T is *not* recommended for a 70-200/2.8 type lens. Between the weight and the rigidity needed for the 200mm end, the 1541T is simply too light and small a tripod. Use the IS if needed, else learn to lug the tripod around. A 2 series is minimum.

I was recommending the GT1541 instead of traveller GT1541T version.

I use it with my D700 (w grip) and 70-200 with no issue. :)

Last edited:
thanx ppl for the time and input.
will check them out ;)

They're most certainly overpriced, but as of now the G-lock is actually quite good. If anyone remembers the early days of CS I had a strong dislike for the way Gitzo legs unlocked.

Fully agreed.

BTW they will have a new material soon which is Soulid 238. It weighs the same as Basalt and has very good dampening properties.
key features
-30% lighter than magnesium
-as strong as magnesium
-great vibration absorption performance
-high thermal and dimension stability
-corrosion and oxidisation resistant

Last edited:

No it simply doesn't. And for one thing, watches are definitely in the overpriced segment of goods. They value is highly subjective. Let's talk about tools rather than mechanical jewellery, shall we?

Back to tripods. I'm certainly not so much willing to use Gitzo's first gen CF tripods compared to current generation tripods from just about any respectable make. Manfrotto's CF tripods are well built, and I have a soft spot for the Velbons. Both will get the job done well compared to a similar Gitzo tripod for a lot less money.

Wooden tripods are great, but they can get heavy. While I'm not one to complain about weight first, they certainly aren't light. Sturdy wooden tripods start around 3kg.
What's so different for the 2 series beside the heavier load? And those 2 series looks like quite heavy and long(being >1.5kg and min length >60mm). How'd I bring it for traveling( if I want all in one tripod)?

coolsigg, premium such as markins Q3 can support (if not mistaken) up to 30kg. If I only mount 1D mark III with 70-200mm f2.8 IS , would that be overkill?

Also if the tripod max load is 4kg and my setup is 3-3.5kg, is it okay?

Just wondering, why the gitzo tripod is not paired with gitzo ballhead? Does the gitzo only famous for it's tripod and not ballhead?

As for the plate, which is the best? What do you choose?

What's so different for the 2 series beside the heavier load? And those 2 series looks like quite heavy and long(being >1.5kg and min length >60mm). How'd I bring it for traveling( if I want all in one tripod)?

coolsigg, premium such as markins Q3 can support (if not mistaken) up to 30kg. If I only mount 1D mark III with 70-200mm f2.8 IS , would that be overkill?

Just wondering, why the gitzo tripod is not paired with gitzo ballhead? Does the gitzo only famous for it's tripod and not ballhead?

If you need it for travelling, less a planned photographic trip, get the GT1541T, period. Else for a real decent tripod for serious photographic use, I would recommend no less than a series 2.

Q3 is really for the series 1 Gitzos. With a mark 3, pls get a series 2 and an M10 at least for proper stability. You see, holding your equipment and providing good support and stability are two different things altogether.

Gitzo ballheads are usually not that favoured. The de facto standard in ballheads is the arca-swiss. You have various brands providing arca-swiss compatible ball heads - arca-swiss itself, Kirk, RRS (Really right stuff), Markins, Karinpoche, as far as I could mention off hand. The two main rivals and most popular are Markins (made in Korea) and RRS (Made in USA). You do some research on these two if you are interested in getting one to pair up with your Gitzo.

As far as QR plates are concerned, the default Markin plates never receive much praise. I find them to be thin and relatively filmsy-looking. I would recommend getting a RRS or Kirk.

Just for interest sake, the ultimate (in terms of semi-pro/enthusiats use) tripod setup would be: Gitzo 3531S (systematic series), Markins TB 20 baseplate, Markins M20 Ballhead, RRS B2 LR II Lever QR Clamp and a model specific RRS L-bracket (plus brackets for your tele-lenses). I think would easily cost $1.8k+. Considering its just about the price of a semi-pro body only. Ha.

Last edited:
And by the way, there is really no all-in-one tripod solution. People who are more serious usually get 2 setups - a Series 1 for travelling and a Series 3 for normal use.

for travelling, i recommend mountaineer 1 series. Do go to the shops to tryout the traveller and explorer series, u will find that the traveller series is *abit* flimsy compared to the explorer.

I am no expert but i read somewhere that we should divide the max load of the ballhead by a safety factor of 3 when we want to determine if the ball head can support our setup.

Therefore, Markins Q3 should be able to support 1DMkIII n 70-200 2.8IS. But u might need to upgrade the ballhead if you intend to do more next time. For tripod max load, I think you need to factor in the weight of the ballhead as well so u might be cutting it a bit too close if u choose a 4kg maxload tripod.

I bought a general purpose PG-50 plate. Looking to upgrade to a L plate next. :)

edit: change explorer to mountaineer...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.