What's on your wish list ?

Don't need L lenses to make good pictures if the person behind the camera is crap.

I agree... "The Equipment is only as good as it's wielder"

setup can last me for 30 years....with exception to the camera body

My guess is, you would tryout/switch to a FF system, in the coming 30 years.

I'm happy with what I already have.;)

My sentiment exactly. Personally instead of wishing things to happen, think what can you do to make it happen. Have seen many photographers sucked into a BBB virus, and spend too much time comparing instead of concentrating on photography.

I am not saying that using the right equipment is not essential, but rather than expressing "frustration" on your current setup I would rather learn it limitation and work around it. There is a saying, "The grass is always greener on the other side". Adapting from JFK famous words "Don’t ask what your equipment can do for your photography. Ask instead what you can do with your current equipment to enhance it”

AF 50mm f/1.8-D
AF-S 12-24mm f/2.8

I'm not greedy! :D

My guess is, you would tryout/switch to a FF system, in the coming 30 years.
though i am totally not financially capable now to get any more equipment
not to say even L lenses

i've actually though about this
i use more of the tele range for my photos
a FF won't benefit me unless the IQ is really significantly better to a large extend
1.6 crop would be good for me and not to mention that you'll get lesser vignetting for 1.6crops from EF lenses as they are cropped away

anyway that's why the lens i listed are mainly EF lenses
with exception to the 17~55
i agree that the user of the equipment is more important
but more often than not, i feel limited by the ranged aperture of my setup, and the front-rotating element which makes using a CPL a tedious task

Last edited:
though i am totally not financially capable now to get any more equipment
not to say even L lenses

i've actually though about this
i use more of the tele range for my photos
a FF won't benefit me unless the IQ is really significantly better to a large extend
1.6 crop would be good for me and not to mention that you'll get lesser vignetting for 1.6crops from EF lenses as they are cropped away

anyway that's why the lens i listed are mainly EF lenses
with exception to the 17~55
i agree that the user of the equipment is more important
but more often than not, i feel limited by the ranged aperture of my setup, and the front-rotating element which makes using a CPL a tedious task

That the reason why I say in 30 years time (if you still into photography), for IQ wise I think most would agree that there would be a noticeable improvement over a crop. Nevertheless having owned both a FF and a crop, unless you are doing huge print else the different is not very significantly (if you know how to process your image).

With regards to vignetting in FF, I don't really see that as a problem as you won't be able to mount a EF-S lens on a Canon FF currently.

Having xD bodies and L lens does not automatically make one an expert photographer, like I say before "The equipment is only as good as it's wielder".

That the reason why I say in 30 years time (if you still into photography), for IQ wise I think most would agree that there would be a noticeable improvement over a crop. Nevertheless having owned both a FF and a crop, unless you are doing huge print else the different is not very significantly (if you know how to process your image).

With regards to vignetting in FF, I don't really see that as a problem as you won't be able to mount a EF-S lens on a Canon FF currently.

Having xD bodies and L lens does not automatically make one an expert photographer, like I say before "The equipment is only as good as it's wielder".

oh when i mean by vignetting
EF lenses gives different vignetting to crop and FF bodies (EF not EFS)
so theoretically a 17~40 L will give u different degrees of vignetting on a 500D as compared to a 5DII.

photography captures time/moments
i think i will remain as a hobbyist for a long time to come
hmmm
"The equipment is only as good as it's wielder"
are you implying i'm a lousy wielder? :dunno:

I'm a student and I don't buy gears with my own money so I guess I shouldn't hope for top-level gears haha. Let's see...

60D (when it comes out) + grip

one or two of these lenses:
100mm f2.8 macro
70-200mm f4L
30mm f1.4

430EXII

oh when i mean by vignetting
EF lenses gives different vignetting to crop and FF bodies (EF not EFS)
so theoretically a 17~40 L will give u different degrees of vignetting on a 500D as compared to a 5DII.

photography captures time/moments
i think i will remain as a hobbyist for a long time to come
hmmm
"The equipment is only as good as it's wielder"
are you implying i'm a lousy wielder? :dunno:

Vignetting occur mostly if you stop down your aperture, which can often be "corrected" automatically when you are shooting and processing RAW. Depend on the mood of photography I am doing sometime I prefer vignetting in my shots.

Whether or not you think if you are a "good or "lousy wielder", very much depend on yourself. To me if it's not a commissioned shoot, as long as you love the shot that you make then it is a good photo to you. Often photographers like to compare with one another and often put the credit on the equipment that other is using and not their skill. Hence leading to a lot of BBB virus.

Like I say before, "The equipment is only as good as it's wielder" if the photographer does not know how to handle the tools in it's hands then it's just an expensive piece of toy.

Last edited:
Vignetting occur mostly if you stop down your aperture, which can often be "corrected" automatically when you are shooting and processing RAW. Depend on the mood of photography I am doing sometime I prefer vignetting in my shots.

Whether or not you think if you are a "good or "lousy wielder", very much depend on yourself. To me if it's not a commissioned shoot, as long as you love the shot that you make then it is a good photo to you. Often photographers like to compare with one another and often put the credit on the equipment that other is using and not their skill. Hence leading to a lot of BBB virus.

Like I say before, "The equipment is only as good as it's wielder" if the photographer does not know how to handle the tools in it's hands then it's just an expensive piece of toy.

vignetting can be fixed once stopped down
i know that
but however by doing so, it limits your photographic opportunities...
i stated vignetting to explain my preference on crop bodies over FF ones, i'm not blaming the equipments. i meant to say that those wishlisted eqs i wanted won't limit me as much

anyway
i'll try to take pictures without any vignetting , and if i want the vignetting effect, i would just add it in later in lightroom
same as how i take pictures in color and then transform them into BW images. you can change a colored image into a BW one, but not the other way around
hence i applied the logic on vignetting too

i feel i am an average photographer
but with you spamming that phrase
i somehow feels somewhat accused of being a darn lousy one
it's as if you're directing that phrase at people aimlessly and in today's case, at me
so

Please gives advices accordingly
and not go around telling everyone "The equipment is only as good as it's wielder", and then BOLD IT and emphasize it again and again wherever you go
though it's true, it is insulting. and for this thread you repeated that phrase alone for 3 times

A wise man won't go around spewing "Advices" everywhere they go

just trying to be courteous here :) :)

Last edited:
vignetting can be fixed once stopped down
i know that
but however by doing so, it limits your photographic opportunities...
i stated vignetting to explain my preference on crop bodies over FF ones, i'm not blaming the equipments. i meant to say that those wishlisted eqs i wanted won't limit me as much

anyway
i'll try to take pictures without any vignetting , and if i want the vignetting effect, i would just add it in later in lightroom
same as how i take pictures in color and then transform them into BW images. you can change a colored image into a BW one, but not the other way around
hence i applied the logic on vignetting too

i feel i am an average photographer
but with you spamming that phrase
i somehow feels somewhat accused of being a darn lousy one
it's as if you're directing that phrase at people aimlessly and in today's case, at me
so

Please gives advices accordingly
and not go around telling everyone "The equipment is only as good as it's wielder", and then BOLD IT and emphasize it again and again wherever you go
though it's true, it is insulting. and for this thread you repeated that phrase alone for 3 times

A wise man won't go around spewing "Advices" everywhere they go

just trying to be courteous here :) :)

Haha... to each own. Everybody have their own style, some prefer to do it (vignetting) when taking the shot, while others like to do it during PP. I do not want to dwell to much on the various method of PP as it would OT too much on this thread.

To me I am not actually advising but rather to express my comment on this topic. Personally I always feel that "The equipment is only as good as it's wielder" as a general statement and not apply to anyone in specific. If you feel it in a negative way, then so be it. I can't please everyone all the time.

Take it from someone who is in this forum for abit longer time, don't jump to the gun on the comment make by fellow CSers. Everyone is entitled to their own option, that is this diversity that make CS a wonderful place to share ideas. :)

Last edited:
i don't truly need more equipment as i need more time to learn my current setup.

i wish for somebody to cover my job while i go out and take photos. (sorry, i cannot be a pro photographer)

Haha... to each own. Everybody have their own style, some prefer to do it (vignetting) when taking the shot, while others like to do it during PP. I do not want to dwell to much on the various method of PP as it would OT too much on this thread.

To me I am not actually advising but rather to express my comment on this topic. Personally I always feel that "The equipment is only as good as it's wielder" as a general statement and not apply to anyone in specific. If you feel it in a negative way, then so be it. I can't please everyone all the time.

Take it from someone who is in this forum for abit longer time, don't jump to the gun on the comment make by fellow CSers. Everyone is entitled to their own option, that is this diversity that make CS a wonderful place to share ideas. :)
ok respect :)

i don't truly need more equipment as i need more time to learn my current setup.
This is quite true. Alot of us do not need new equipment but really to learn to stretch and find the limits of our equipment. Then we’ll know if we need new equipment.

There. I’ve talked myself out of getting a 7D.

If I ever switch to Canon,

1. 50mm f/1.2 L
2. 5d mark ii
3. 16-35mm f/2.8 L
4. 14mm f/2.8 L
5. 70-200mm f/4 L

1. 7D
2. 24-105L
3. 430ex ii

Yes we all know that the person behind the camera is the deciding factor, not the gear.

However the TS stated that this is a wish list for camera gear. So let's not wish for the eye of Ansel Adams, or supermodels loitering at our HDB void deck, or the Grand Canyon to relocate to Singapore, or getting an assignment to cover WWIII, or....

So let's get back on topic ;p

Any one of these will be great,EF500,EF600 or EF800. I will start dressing up in camouflage. learn to do paint job on my face from active NS and do a leopard crawl, just to shoot any exotic birds in sight.:bsmilie:

I don't understand the fondness for the word 'wielder' in this forum. It is a camera we're talking about, not the Tu Long Dao.