What you think of Newbies and amateurs adding Photography watermarks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
opps...i only ask of opinion nia. response like so intriguing. :dunno:

haha maybe i should watermark my crappy photos too. but again it's alot of work and i have to take time to design it. feels more like an art project. they will surely make my photos look better though. sigh i'm just too lazy for it.

and that catchlight punggol photo looks very daring with such giant watermark. reminds me of splinter cell conviction!

Maybe TS is concern something like putting a water mark seems to like "self promoting", yet he feels he is 'not that good' to be promoted.

Just my wild guess. :)

But from my limited understanding, this can be some sort of 'copyright', means protect your image. (even you may feel you don't have to 'protect' it)

what opinion were u looking for...that we should:flame: all the ppl who have kanna sai photo (by the pros or un-pros standard) and still dare to put watermark there?

if ppl say newbies and all the suckers should not put, then there will be 2 groups of ppl who either say yes you are right or no you are wrong to say that. then a :flame: war begins

What you think of Newbies and amateurs adding Photography watermarks on their pictures?
Having those like - (Kelvin Tong Photography, Sei Beng Song Photography ETC) on their photos when they r not even professionals photographer and yet wanna-be or in another words, self pro-claimed.

Hmm, IMHO, i think your question itself is already kinda biased, and judgmental? Thus created the sparks with all the replies.

Watermarking or borders seem appropriate and more presentable at times, yet i do admit it does minus points about the photo shoot itself.

No right or wrong, just how you see it, how you like it and how you present it. :think:

What you think of Newbies and amateurs adding Photography watermarks on their pictures?
Having those like - (Kelvin Tong Photography, Sei Beng Song Photography ETC) on their photos when they r not even professionals photographer and yet wanna-be or in another words, self pro-claimed.

i think everybody should have the freedom to do whatever they want to their photographs.

most often the ones berating the choice are the ones who want to do it secretly, but don't dare. :bsmilie:

why do you begrudge someone the need to watermark their images? nowadays even bad photos can be leeched for whatever purposes.

i only take offense when the watermark is overpowering the picture. we want to see the picture, not the watermark.

i feel sorry for you TS..

do tink of the implications before starting a thread next time.;p

I too agree that everyone has his/her own right to watermark or tag their pictures as they see fit. Some do it to protect their work from being "stolen" and passed off as someone else's work (quite common apparently) while some do it because they are simple proud to call that picture their own.

But I think most replies thus far have been misunderstanding the TS. I think he point is that noobs and amateurs that do not own/have their own photographic studios simple put "XXX PHOTOGRAPHY" to make it sound like they have a studio or have a company or they are "pro". If they just put "shot by XXX" I think the TS wouldn't be so bothered...

Thats my interpretation of the topic lah. Maybe TS can make it clearer?

Thanks for attempting to clear this up. Yes I believe this is the intention of the thread.
Many amateurs put " _____ photography", macam like they have a photo business/studio like that.
Well, we don't have the right to police such actions, so I say "let it be". Some people think very highly of their photo-taking standards.

You ask for an opinion, then you sort of follow up with a strong statement. With that statement, you already concluded that those people who water-mark their photos are pro-wannabe.

Think I better start to water-mark all my photos now, maybe can sell them on ebay cause they'll look more pro.

please, why you all worry so much about ____ photography

let's put it this way

even if i put

AWARD WINNING, WORLD RENOWNED, SUPER MULTIMILLIONAIRE PHOTOGRAPHER watermark over my pictures, but they are crap

they still remain crappy. the picture speaks for itself. so, if people feel the need to reassure their own self by putting such things, that's their choice, and they are free to do it, if you ask me. of course, you can think what you think of them, but you shouldn't question their right to such a choice. :)

Best is to GAFFER all the photos. :devil:

Gaffer all the way.

Because your original statement and question is judgmental, bias and has no bases on which you can stand to make such statement and ask such question.

You seemed to not understand what is the purpose of a watermark, and yet, you made sweeping assertion.

Well, we replied.

Thanks for attempting to clear this up. Yes I believe this is the intention of the thread.
Many amateurs put " _____ photography", macam like they have a photo business/studio like that.
Well, we don't have the right to police such actions, so I say "let it be". Some people think very highly of their photo-taking standards.

Yah lor, just let fellow members enjoy their hobby lah, don't have to be so rigid leh.

Everyone can put whatever they want, it's their photos what. The picture itself will speak for the photographer, not the signature/ watermark.

I'm sorry but I don't agree that the word 'photography' would mean that someone own a business/ studio. It just simply mean that it's their photos, that's my interpretation at least :)

when we look back at the first few pictures we took, don't you feel that you've come a long way? So why judge these people.

Anyhow, my understanding of watermark is to protect their images. Most of the time i haven't heard of those names. Like personally, i dont watermark my images cause i don't want to spoil the picture as it is. (not because i have lousy design skills LOL). Afterall, it's our own right and freedom to do whatever we want with our pictures right?

just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Anyhow, my understanding of watermark is to protect their images. Most of the time i haven't heard of those names. Like personally, i dont watermark my images cause i don't want to spoil the picture as it is. (not because i have lousy design skills LOL). Afterall, it's our own right and freedom to do whatever we want with our pictures right?

i have lousy design skill, and i still watermark my photos...coz i dem proud of the photos i took. :sweatsm:

well you sound like you are not agreeable with newbies and watermarks. to say that they are not even pros is already a prejudice.

hehe on the topic of wanabe. actually i do wana shoot like the pros here in terms of standard, but not as a profession.
i'm the biggest pro wanabe, i do want to get better.

and since my images can't speak for themselves i have to attach a bunch of post rationalised text around to attract people in.
my simple marketting. maybe someday when i have a brilliant logo then i would open photoshop everytime i edit to insert my logo.

You are not just asking for opinions. The way i see it, you're just trying to get forumers to agree with your opinions and forcing it upon others.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5261088#post5261088

Hi cutecdo, thanks for pointing that out. Wah, people sincerely ask for C&C on their photos, but TS go and C&C on the watermark, win already :bsmilie:

What's with this obsession on other people's watermark? Weird :dunno:

"What you think of Newbies and amateurs adding Photography watermarks?"

i think... it is their right to do or put whatever they want to on their photos! it's theirs anyway, if you assume that those who put watermarks are wanna bes, thats your own opinion. so my opinion about you is that you better just mind your own business and don't nose around with what other people want to do. see yourself first before you see others. if you wanna make a change... start with that man on the mirror.:nono:

Sorry, but to me, your statements seems like newbies and amateurs to photography can't have a "trademark" on the photos. :)

I also have my trademark for my photos.. Just a simple one though.

I find it nothing wrong.
I'm using it to show that the particular shot is taken by me and not "plagiarised" from someone. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.