What tripod to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To TS, the Manfrotto range (even the CF ones) are heavy; so take note if you don't have a ready transport or hiking/travels to out-country especially.

The Gitzos are lighter but beyond your budget.

It's a tough call.

Some one posted "an equation" some time back ........ couldn't remember exactly who or what... but something along the line...

light and good = expensive
++ fill in the rest ++

Light + Stable = Expensive
Heavy + Stable = Less Expensive
Light + Unstable = Least Expensive

Check the Others section for prices.

i see,any idea selling how much? Manfrotto 055xprob and 488RC2

Light + Stable = Expensive
Heavy + Stable = Less Expensive
Light + Unstable = Least Expensive

Check the Others section for prices.

Over here.

055XproB - range from $220~$260
488RC - $145
Total around $370 range

I did some quick search on tripods and I must say I am still quite confused about the different types of tripods and their functionalities. :confused:

What should I look when buying a tripod, besides stability and able to hold the weight of my camera?

Is it only restricted to brand such as Manfrotto and Gitzo?

Thanks in advance. :)
i too had the same predicament as you but on another level

I added my own version but based on what i consider is cheap.

stable and light tripod not cheap, easy to find.
light and cheap tripod not stable, everywhere can find.
cheap and stable tripod not light, even Ebay/Amazon cannot find.

I really had to look and found the Slik U212. The weight is something and pretty big as well but fits my budget and usage. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450021
After using it for some time now, i can say if no experience in heavy lifting..this tripod is not for everybody.

With your much bigger budget, should be able to get the newer range tripods.

Last edited:
To TS, the Manfrotto range (even the CF ones) are heavy; so take note if you don't have a ready transport or hiking/travels to out-country especially.

The Gitzos are lighter but beyond your budget.

It's a tough call.

Some one posted "an equation" some time back ........ couldn't remember exactly who or what... but something along the line...

light and good = expensive
++ fill in the rest ++

Thanks, definitely not into carry heavy tripod.

I went to check out the Manfrotto and Gitzo at CP. Very impressed by the carbon-fiber Manfrotto tripod (and the price as well!). Gitzo is fantastically light (but heavy on the pocket).

And prices quoted was without the ball head...:sweat:

Both the Manfrotto models 055 and 190 have damn lots of fans but sure am not one of them due to it's locking system and weight (for it's height). Do consider Velbon (I just got this) and Slik brands. More affordable than the Gitzo definitely and do consider your ballhead too as it will add up (both weight and money haha).

FYI, before this I was using the Fancier FT-6662A tripod - GREAT for travelling I'd say. It's along the lines of Yung Nuo and lower end of Benro and it only costs just under $100.

I have the SLIK PRO EZ which is really a wonderful tripod. This was bought very specifically for short trips.

As per the specifications, the head that comes with the tripod can hold 2kgs of equipment. Probably a lot of people do not know that the head can be replaced and the max load the tripod legs can take is 4kgs.

This is an alum tripod and you might want to check this out as well. Works really well...for me atleast...

buy it once and for all ~

a series 1 Gitzo for lightweight to normal setup

a series 2/3 Gitzo for bigger guns..

two is all you need. :D

Gitzo stock are low!! get them before they are gone!

Gitzo new generation matt black finish aluminium tripods and monopods using new A13 aluminum tubes, Soulid 238 compound cast components and Basalt centre columns making all Gitzo classic the most technological professional aluminum tripod.

g1) Series 2 tripod 3 section includes Manfrotto 488rc0 ballhead S$500
g2) Series 2 Tripod 4 Section includes Manfrotto 488rc0 ballhead S$625
g3) Series 2 Monopod 4 section includes Manfrotto 234 tilt top S$225
g4) Series 2 Basalt Monopod 4 section includes Manfrotto 234 tilt top S$250

Just bought the series 2 tripod GT2330 from eugene last week.

Considering your budget is $500, you may wanna consider the offer. Tripod is stable but setup is a little heavy though if your intent is for traveling uses.

My preference for a tripod is weight, as I find that if its too heavy, I end up not using it.
My gear is light as well, so no problems with using a light tripod.

Silk Sprint Pro. Light at 0.9kg.

I got my 190CXPro4 and 488RC4 head from a shop in SimLim Square 6th floor. And I paid $488 and $195 respectively. I learned later that the leg cost only $388 in a shop over in Peninsula. My lesson learned - check around the prices before buying.

i'm looking to getting a tripod too. my hands just cannot make it lah.

but the price is like -_-"

wouldn't it be better if we get a cheap tripod from a trusted brand (maybe like silk) and save the rest for lenses?
that being said, any recommendation for light, stable and high tripod thats < 100?

i'm looking to getting a tripod too. my hands just cannot make it lah.

but the price is like -_-"

wouldn't it be better if we get a cheap tripod from a trusted brand (maybe like silk) and save the rest for lenses?
that being said, any recommendation for light, stable and high tripod thats < 100?

Light, stable and tall, and under $100? That's an almost impossible combination. That said, I always suggest the following read before buying a tripod.

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

I got my 190CXPro4 and 488RC4 head from a shop in SimLim Square 6th floor. And I paid $488 and $195 respectively. I learned later that the leg cost only $388 in a shop over in Peninsula. My lesson learned - check around the prices before buying.

Which shop would that be? $388's a very reasonable price. PM me if not convenient to announce here. Thanks.

Can try the SLIK or Benro range if your budget is tight.

I've changed a couple of tripods, and with that being said, you should seriously contemplate getting the best that money can afford now. Do it right the first time. Try reading this..

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

I've went down this road way too many times. Took the plunge, got the Gitzo 2531 with the RRS BH-40 for hiking needs and the Gitzo 3531S and RRS BH-55 for my heavier artillery.

Could not be happier. Painful initially yes, but it makes a HUGE difference in my shots!

PM if you want more details!

-Alvin

Status
Not open for further replies.