What software is the best you've used to process RAW images?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For NEF files, it's definitely Capture NX. I am using DxO Optic Pro as well and I do a lot of batch processing with it. It is capable of detailed adjustment but if I need total control over how the RAW conversion, Capture NX is more versatile.

I use Aperture 2. Love it.
Seems like there are very few Aperture 2 users out there.

captureone... seems to have the best balance for performance and quality, tho function is the most limited
capture nx, too slow but yield one of the best IQ
photoshop cs2/3, fastest but hate the color rendering as compared to others
lightroom, pretty much the same as photoshop to me in terms of performance and IQ

Last edited:
I use Adobe Lightroom 2.2 95% of the time.

Minor tweaks 5% of the time on Adobe CS4 Photoshop Extended.

Don't really like the Nikon workflow process of dealing with NEF RAW files.

Lightroom was redesigned from the ground up and has the best workflow "feel".

Just my 2cs worth! :)

if got $$$$ capture one pro would be good. if not capture one LE is good enough. i use both before capture one pro still the best.

I use Nx2 and Cs3, but I still prefer NX2 as it is easier to use than Cs3.:)

My experience with Lightroom was extremely bad. This fat-sluggish animal offers so many functions that I don't need at all. It's a real pain when I want to process/browse some photos quickly. My computer is decent in performance, but it drags big time with Lightroom. I am wondering how can other people cope with it.

I use Lightroom about 99% of the time. Only in photos where I need to use layers or masking to get certain results then I will go back to Photoshop. Lightroom is fantastic for quickly selecting and editing many RAW images in one go. There are even plugins that allow you to then upload the final photos to Flickr and other image hosting websites.

So far the only two softwares I used are the bundled Canon software and Lightroom 2.2. My own preference is Lightroom. Its simple to use !

Depends on your purposes.

Handle large number of files, go Lightroom2 or Aperture2 type of program.

Handle small number of files, go propriety programs of the brand, eg for Nikon will be Capture NX2, for the best RAW rendering.

I wish to use photoshop cs2... but, dunno why cannot open the RAW file... display error message "not supported file format..".. anybody know why?

For those who uses LR to process RAW, don't you find the photos looks pale? I feel that it looks pale especially when compare to using DPP (I am a canon user). Did I miss out something?? :dunno:

For those who uses LR to process RAW, don't you find the photos looks pale? I feel that it looks pale especially when compare to using DPP (I am a canon user). Did I miss out something?? :dunno:

I felt the same too.
I still to DPP...

LR has a bad processor esp for canon 5D. Because it does not have the colour profile to adjust the camera's output.

There was a review in a recent photography mag (forgot which one already :() comparing RAW processors. Capture One came out ahead of Adobe Camera Raw & LR in terms of color reproduction, skin tone, etc.

I'm not using DPP, that's a monster of software to install compared to the slim and handy LR installation. I use neutral settings and not the standard camera profile where contrast and saturation is increased. Of course RAW looks pale compared to the embedded jpg where in-camera processing was done using picture style or standard profile. So check first what you are looking at. LR will use the embedded jpg only for the very first small preview. Every bigger view (loupe) will use RAW data rendering.

Status
Not open for further replies.