What SD card you guy used on your FZ20

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZinY said:
I did the same test again on my Lexar (10MB/s) SD card.
56 shots were taken in 1 minute. exposure F2.8 and 1/6s.
Total file size is 95.4 mega bytes.
Ok. Here is my calculation...
95.4 * 8 / 60 = 12.72 mega bits per second.
So, 20MB/s will make a difference, I think.
The average file size for this (low light) case is about 1.7MB per pix.
When there is a bright light, I suppose the file size will be more than 2 mega bytes for 5 meaga pixel shots.
Any comment?

Exposure timing is far too slow to test the speed your card can do. My FX2 under speed of 1/60 can only do 1.5/2.0FPS at high speed continuous drive, much slower than the 4FPS if faster shutter of 1/100 or more. I have not done a detail test but it should be that case from my observation.

Actually i think dun need so good and high speed card...???

That card that was used at the studio was an overkill... The write speed is still quite bounded by the ability of the camera. Maybe it would be faster when you take raw... but if you use jpeg for ur photos the speed is not tat noticable. Maybe i using a fz-10 so i don't really feel that the card speed makes a great difference, by the way i am only using a 40x card that i got 1 1/2 yr ago... Works fine for me.

Jack_Ryan said:
Made up my mind to get the FZ20, What 's the fastest SD in the singapore market ???

thanks

SanDisk Ultra II SD cards... Capacity range 256MB to 1.0GB

The SD Card is a highly secure stamp-sized flash memory card. Jointly developed by Matsushita Electronic (best known for its Panasonic brand name products), SanDisk and Toshiba, the SD Card weighs approximately two grams. The SD Card can be used in a variety of digital products; digital music players, cellular phones, handheld PCs (HPCs), digital cameras, digital video camcorders, smart phones, car navigation systems and electronic books.

Visit this site: http://www.sandisk.com/retail/ultra2-sd.asp

Hong Jia said:
Actually i think dun need so good and high speed card...???

That card that was used at the studio was an overkill... The write speed is still quite bounded by the ability of the camera. Maybe it would be faster when you take raw... but if you use jpeg for ur photos the speed is not tat noticable. Maybe i using a fz-10 so i don't really feel that the card speed makes a great difference, by the way i am only using a 40x card that i got 1 1/2 yr ago... Works fine for me.
Sorry, I got it wrong. :embrass:
MB/s is megabytes per second.

The camera's limitation is 2 pictures/s at continous burst mode.
Maximum 2.3MB per picture x 130 pictures = 300MB written in 60 seconds.
i.e. You do not need more than 5MB/s.
40x card speed is about 150KB/s x 40 = 6000 KB/s = 6MB/s.
Even at 3 pictures/s(High), 10MB/s or 20MB/s may not be necessary.
I have to agree.

Redone my test outdoor on the Lexar 1GB, with both bright and shadow in the picture. Result almost the same, 32 shots in 15 seconds. For 1 minute it will be around 128 shots. The picture size is around 1.6MB per picture. Settings are FINE JPG, 1/500, f4 and ISO80. Too bad FZ20 doesn't allow continuous mode with TIFF, that will be interesting.

Like others have pointed out, the limitation is on how fast the camera can pump out the picture and maximum speed it can write to SD card.

Conclusion is still ...the faster Panasonic SD card does not improve on FZ20 performance at all. :bsmilie:

Beware of Marketing talks, as it is always easy to sell using numbers. It helps till a certain point, after that it's just paying more for nothing.

so much of the many taken but which is preferable to get the 1gb SDcard? Scandisk? kingmax? Kingston?

hmm.... aint sure abt that thou
;p

Actually, from the feedback session, Keith mentioned that the 20MB/s Pro card feels faster at writing TIFF. Then again do we need this speed? Or is the price worth the slight improvement? Not many people shoot TIFF I believe. If it is quality all that one wants, then a DSLR might be a better choice.

theITguy said:
Actually, from the feedback session, Keith mentioned that the 20MB/s Pro card feels faster at writing TIFF. Then again do we need this speed? Or is the price worth the slight improvement? Not many people shoot TIFF I believe. If it is quality all that one wants, then a DSLR might be a better choice.

Yesterday I went to shoot all in TIFF... :cry:
1.5GB only can take 90+ shots.

And transfering the files took forever... ;(

Unless I going to print out, I think I will just stick to JPEG. :bsmilie:

theITguy said:

I wun pay for the price of that because I do not actually need such a speed. Unless you really taking of a match game.. then maybe yes. Normal usage.. i guess normal speed to me will. Doesnt make too much of differences to me. :think:

And yes, DSLR might be a better choice. :thumbsup:

Good day....Your calculation is wrong....

The Panasonic transfer speed is 20MB/s and not 20Mb/s (byte vs bit).

So using Lexar card, it is 95.4/60 = 1.59MB/s, welllll below the 10MB/s quote.

One thing, the SD card requirement for Panasonic cameras till now DO NOT require high-speed cards (10MB/s) at all because their unlimited shoot figure is very low. And they do not allow movie shooting at VGA modes full-rate. Some normal-speed cards like Sandisk couild go to 3~4MB/s which is more than enough for these use.

Buying high-speed cards are a terrible waste of your money.

Worst are those who buy the Panasonic PRO cards as unlike the normal high-speed cards, they require special firmware coding to take advantage of the high-speed platform. Using these cards on non-20MB/s optimised camera will allow only max 10MB/s operations.

So it is good to do some research before you jumped into anything that promise big things, as you might end up a sucker.

Malcolmneo said:
Good day....Your calculation is wrong....

The Panasonic transfer speed is 20MB/s and not 20Mb/s (byte vs bit).

So using Lexar card, it is 95.4/60 = 1.59MB/s, welllll below the 10MB/s quote.

One thing, the SD card requirement for Panasonic cameras till now DO NOT require high-speed cards (10MB/s) at all because their unlimited shoot figure is very low. And they do not allow movie shooting at VGA modes full-rate. Some normal-speed cards like Sandisk couild go to 3~4MB/s which is more than enough for these use.

Buying high-speed cards are a terrible waste of your money.

Worst are those who buy the Panasonic PRO cards as unlike the normal high-speed cards, they require special firmware coding to take advantage of the high-speed platform. Using these cards on non-20MB/s optimised camera will allow only max 10MB/s operations.

So it is good to do some research before you jumped into anything that promise big things, as you might end up a sucker.

I am really impressed with your precision calculation. :)

I believe that unless if you really wants to do a lot of burst mode taking, else, do not need to waste your $$ in buying the high speed card.

So far, as a street candid lover, I took and capture shots as precise as I want it to be using the normal SD card, never have a problem, at least if there is a problem, it should be my reaction to the facial expression or body movement, definitely absolutely not the card's speed.

Yes, agree with Malcolmneo, don't be a sucker yourself!

Status
Not open for further replies.