What Lenses to use for ROM and Wedding??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zerstorer said:
Why not shoot a roll of slides and confirm the results for yourself? Then you will have no doubts about the outcome. Can just spend 10 frames testing flash exposure and use the rest to go around shooting some scenery or watever...:)

It's the cost my dear...... hahaha...... and I dun usually go around shooting for the sake of shooting...... unless I have a DSLR...... which is why I am waiting so hard for Minolta to produce one.............. sighz............

Zerstorer said:
If it actually behaves that way, the ambient light will not be affected.

EV compensation would be equal to flash compensation in that case as the flash is acting as the main source of illumination and the camera assumes ambient light to be negligible.

Yes...... it seems to be so........ which also means we either have to use slow sync or change to manual mode........

TME said:
It's the cost my dear...... hahaha...... and I dun usually go around shooting for the sake of shooting...... unless I have a DSLR...... which is why I am waiting so hard for Minolta to produce one.............. sighz............

What cost?

Dynax 7 $1000+

1 Roll of bulk roll Provia 100F $6
Processing $4.50

Probable cost of Minolta DSLR $2K++

Seriously, even if you know what is going to happen, nothing beats seeing the results yourself. Afterall if you have never shot slides, you would never know if your body has a habit of over/underexposing.

Zerstorer said:
What cost?

Dynax 7 $1000+

1 Roll of bulk roll Provia 100F $6
Processing $4.50

Probable cost of Minolta DSLR $2K++

Seriously, even if you know what is going to happen, nothing beats seeing the results yourself. Afterall if you have never shot slides, you would never know if your body has a habit of over/underexposing.

Hahaha........ my Dynax 7 only $850...... and I dun buy bulk slide film lor... so it's probably going to cost me $12 a roll. How come processing fee for slides so cheap meh? Prints cost at least $15 for 36 exposures at 4R leh! But then again I know nuts about slides.......

Haiz....... maybe I'll go get a roll of slides if the development cost isn't that bad...... but I need a loupe (however cheapo) to get a good look at the exposure differences.......

BTW, dun dampen my hopes lar....... I was hoping for the Minolta DSLR to cost around the 300D lor....... it makes sense to have something like that for your maiden launch so that if the response is good then follow up with a hardcore pro model........... anyway that's just me............ :D

Hi all, findings all based on Minolta 700si, 24-50 f4 lens & 5400HS flash. set-up on tripod on a single composition same lighting condition. lens at 50mm focal length.

A mode

1/60 f5.6 flash coverage is 0.7-14 meters

+ 1 stop camera com flash coverage becomes 0.7-10 meters

+ 1 stop flash com coverage is the same at 0.7-10 meters

+ 1 stop flash com & camera com coverage becomes 0.7-7 meters

The shutter speed & aperture never change in this mode.

S mode

1/30 f4.5 flash coverage is 0.8-20 meters

+ 1 stop camera com shutter speed remains the same but aperture become f4, flash coverage becomes 0.7-16 meters

+ 1 stop flash com shutter speed becomes 1/45 aperture is f4, flash coverage is 0.7-16 meters

+ 1 stop flash com & camera com shutter speed becomes 1/45 aperture is f4, flash coverage becomes 0.7-12 meters

M mode

1/60 f5.6 flash coverage is 0.7-14 meters

+ 1 stop camera com flash coverage becomes 0.7-10 meters

+ 1 stop flash com flash coverage is the same as above, 0.7-10 meters

+ 1 stop flash & camera com flash coverage becomes 0.7-7 meters

The shutter speed & aperture never change

Zerstorer, Jerry & TME for your info.

Thanks Andy for the test info.

One similar result of the test is that the flash coverage seems to decrease if you set either +ve exp comp or flash comp. There is no general change in shutter speed or aperture (wonder why in S mode, the shutter speed changes - shouldn't it stay constant?). So what is happening? The conclusion I draw (again correct me if you think I am not making any sense), is that under the situation that the shutter speed cannot be decreased anymore (ie. its already at its min of 1/focal length), the way the camera deals with either +ve exp comp or flash comp is to allow the flash to provide more light. From the drop in coverage, I suppose this is done via having a longer flash pulse (and hence more light). Notice that with both exp and flash comp, the coverage is even shorter and hence this shows that setting both results in a cumulative compensation.

In the event that its outdoors/daylight and using fill flash, the shutter speed selected by the camera (say in A mode) will most likely be > 1/focal length or even > sync speed with HSS. In this case, since the shutter speed can still be lowered, setting a +ve exp comp will result in a slower shutter speed.

Making any sense?

Jerry

Thanks a million Andy!

yeah yeah Jerry :D! I think it makes sense...... except that it also means that when your shutter speed is at the 1/focal length limit, u can't increase ambient light in your shot because u can't lower your shutter speed anymore!

So the only way is to meter first and then switch to manual and lower from 1/60 to 1/145 I guess........ in which case I wonder if the flash coverage will drop any further.

BTW, Andy, are u using a D lens in order to obtain the flash coverage reading?

It's on the back panel of the 5400HS and 5600HS(D). that's the good thing about these two flash.coverage info at your finger tips...

andylee said:
It's on the back panel of the 5400HS and 5600HS(D). that's the good thing about these two flash.coverage info at your finger tips...

The coverage "zhun" or not?? 14 meters like very far leh!

Status
Not open for further replies.