What len are you using for ur m4/3?

Im fairly new to photography so aside from the 12-42mm kit lens

I only have the Olympus 17mm f1.8

But I'm planning to get myself a Panasonic 25mm f1.4 and Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 to add on as my 3 main lens lineup.
The Voigtlander 25mm and 42.5 both in f.95 looks like gem for portrait photography... but I find it too expensive for a beginner like me to purchase. Ha!

Im fairly new to photography so aside from the 12-42mm kit lens

I only have the Olympus 17mm f1.8

But I'm planning to get myself a Panasonic 25mm f1.4 and Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 to add on as my 3 main lens lineup.
The Voigtlander 25mm and 42.5 both in f.95 looks like gem for portrait photography... but I find it too expensive for a beginner like me to purchase. Ha!

Did u consider the 45mm f1.8? Its cheap and a gd portrait lens.

I'd second that choice on the 45mm f1.8...and on the 25mm I'd look at the Oly 25mm F1.8 - cheaper, smaller more compact, negligible lens rendering difference. Having used and owned both the Panasonic and Olympus, I much prefer the Oly.

$250 can get a super sharp sigma 60mm

7.5mm 3.5 - good, fun and cheap fisheye lens to own and use for fun once in a while, both outdoors and in
12-32mm - my light, casual compact solution
14-140mm - my all in one solution, used mostly when travelling and when lugging around a slightly heavy lens isn't an issue
25mm 1.4 - when i know i'll be shooting indoors/tight spaces with so so lighting
42.5mmm 1.2 - when i know i'll be shooting indoors with fairly enough room (like a hall) with so so lighting
75mm 1.8 - when i'm shooting outdoors and i know i will have plenty of room to move, and personally i prefer the "compressed" effect a long fl gives

14-140mm - my all in one solution, used mostly when travelling and when lugging around a slightly heavy lens isn't an issue
Are you able to have shallow dof with this 14-140 lens ?

25mm 1.4 - when i know i'll be shooting indoors/tight spaces with so so lighting
42.5mmm 1.2 - when i know i'll be shooting indoors with fairly enough room (like a hall) with so so lighting
which of these 2 you use more often ?

Did u consider the 45mm f1.8? Its cheap and a gd portrait lens.
I'll surely look into that! Thank you!

I'd second that choice on the 45mm f1.8...and on the 25mm I'd look at the Oly 25mm F1.8 - cheaper, smaller more compact, negligible lens rendering difference. Having used and owned both the Panasonic and Olympus, I much prefer the Oly.
I was actually looking more at the f1.4 vs f1.8 that is why I was leaning more to the panny. But maybe I need to do more research. Thank you so much for advising, back to topic!

12-35mm - Easily my most used lens, versatile for street and travel. I.S helps as I'm using a Panasonic body :)
35-100mm - Nice and sharp tele, seldom used but great when I need the range or the bokeh and compression for portraits
25mm f.14 - 2nd most used lens, sharp. CA almost non-existent
45mm - least used lens, too tight for street, but sharp and light. Bang for the buck too!

Now I just need the 7-14 f2.8 when it comes out ;p

why wld wide angle like 7-14 need to have wide aperture?

Maybe for low light, need the lens to be faster ? Just guessing ...

For 2 reasons

Shallow dof (as much as one can get) and more light gathering capability for use in situations like weddings and events.

Landscape is not the only genre to use wide angle lenses, and landscape need not only be limited to wide angle lenses

Dear all, thanks for the comments :).

1. I generally find lenses to be sharp about one stop or more down, and I will likely use the 7-14 for some night shooting so there are times when f5.6 and below might require a higher ISO than I would like. That being said, the noise performance of the latest generation sensors are astonishing to say the least, I found ISO 3200 to be perfectly usable and practically grain free when exposed to the right.

2. I do like the creative possibilities of wide angle and big aperture. ;p

3. And finally, I bought the Panasonic lenses mainly for the IS as I do a lot of handheld shooting. As both Panasonic and Olympus 7-14 do not have IS, the deciding factors will be IQ and cost. The Olympus 12-40 has been very good optically, and the 40-150 will likely be so as well. So I'll wait to see how the 7-14 f2.8 performs. :) But one thing that might push me towards the Panasonic 7-14mm will be colour matching of the lenses. I found the colours from the panasonic lenses to be quite similar. Should the Olympus 7-14 render colours significantly different from the Pannys, then it might sway the calculations.

Last edited:
Lens:

14-42mm with FCON-P01 fisheye converter permanently attached (my most used lens previously)
12-40mm PRO (current most used lens at the moment)
25mm f1.4 (seldom used)