What kind of money are we looking at if want to go MF?

In all fairness, the RZ67 Pro is around the same weight as a 4B-1, no?

The RZ67 with lens is a beast, although the RB would definitely be heavier. Heavier than my 1D with a prime lens.

I use my RZ67 for landscape, pack it in my hiking bag and I'm ready to go. Even use it for street sometimes.

My RZ67 setup cost me $800 for Body, Film back, 50mm and 127mm, bought the 110mm on eBay for $250.

If you happen to be in Japan, check out the junk stores. Recently I got a almost fully working RZ67 body w/o film back or WLF (as a backup) for $20, sticky shutter 180mm for $70, working 65mm for $80, and polaroid back for $10 (I'm not kidding)

Last edited:
Here's the Seagull again showing some comparisons. The C220/330 system followed me for a long time.

Digital has certainly pushed the prices of many film cameras down to ridiculous prices.
Now with USD at S$1.22 and worse is to come, and many US are unemployed, Ebay has a lot of such cameras on offer.

Depending on individuals, Mamiya, Rollei SL66 whatever can have many choices.

From what you said, looks like no one in Japan is really interested in the RZ67.

Have you been to Tokyo Ginza KATSUMIDO? There are tonnes of goodies there.
Every month in Nippon Cameras they have a lot of poisonous adds. End of the mag have a lot of samples. Best is don't see.
ASAHICAMERA (朝日照相機 ) also have a lot of confirmed good items. Also, BEST is don't see.

And I saw cameras like this offered in KATSUMIDO. Often snapped up very very quickly.

The have an English web site.

http://www2.katsumido-camera.com/cgi-bin/shelf.cgi?german+Rollei+doublelenz

Last edited:
I think there is a reason that tlr exist in MF..
I guess is for de portability of carrying it out on streets N mamiya n hassy was created more for studio purposes..

But then again, no one said u cant switch their roles :)
Cheers

Nikkornos said:
Talk about Zenza Bronica, can we still find the SQ A and SQ B? I have not seen them for a really long while.

Camera Hospital has two set there. Bronica's prices on eBay are just a tad above paper weights - a colleague just bought a sq-a set for USD150. I'm a great Bronica fan (very fascinated with how it started, but that's a story for another day), so its with mixed feelings to see the prices being so low. The good thing about it is I can actually afford all the lens that I was not able to when I started. A PS150mm lens for usd120? That was so unimaginable!

Camera Hospital has two set there. Bronica's prices on eBay are just a tad above paper weights - a colleague just bought a sq-a set for USD150. I'm a great Bronica fan (very fascinated with how it started, but that's a story for another day), so its with mixed feelings to see the prices being so low. The good thing about it is I can actually afford all the lens that I was not able to when I started. A PS150mm lens for usd120? That was so unimaginable!

Interesting! I was visiting Steven almost every another day but didn't see them? His place is always full of cameras.

I used to have a big ZENZA BRONIC pad sitting on my table for many years. That was my dream. The Bronica SQ-A/SQ-Am were competitively priced since the older days. Lenses ranged from 40, 50, 80 2.8 to 500, and a few Variogon zooms on offer. There was also the Bronica GS-1 the equivalent of the Mamiya 67. The ETRs was the least sophisticated 645 in the market then, but again priced to sell. When I was in Hong Kong many years ago, one sweet talk SIFU persuaded me to take up a system with a few lenses (80, 110, 150) with something like a fastgrip that allowed the camera to be used like a 135 SLR. I did not go very far with them and sold at a big loss. Perhaps I did not have the 'YUAN FEN' with it.

Digital came out and bashed all film cameras to one corner at one time. I discarded my Contax for a big clumsy SL66X (non TTL). Its amazing how cheap this SL66X with a 80mm Planar cost now. We are in for a good time.

I actually do not want to say it, but talking about cheap and great MF photography, the Carl Zeiss Jena lenses are almost as good. Mounted on a suitable body (I won't tell you :sticktong which one) , the picture can be stunning. I used to mount CZJ with adapters on Nikon bodies (K13 used to sell them), and the picture looks great. I see some thinks that S$1800 can get a great used body and lens, the same money can be used to build a system. And the picture can be, surprisingly, better. I saw some studios in Boston doing that. Share later.

Camera Chart

from memory, here are the ones:

SLR Waist Level
Hasselblad 500CM **
Hasselblad 500ELX
Hasselblad 2000FCW
Mamiya RB67/ RZ67 **
Rolleiflex SL66X **
Rolleiflex SL66SE
Rolleiflex SL6000
Bronica SQ-A, SQ-Am **
Bronica GS-I
Fujifilm GX680

SLR eye level
Pentax 67
Pentacon **

SLR 645
Mamiya 645/ 645 super
Pentax 645/ 645 AF
Bronica ETRSi

RF
Fuji GW690/ 690II **
Fuji GW670/ 670II
Fuji GSW690
Fuji G645 **
Fuji G617 panoramic
Mamiya Universal Press

Viewfinder
Hasselblad SWC/M

Twin Lens Reflex
Rolleiflex 2.8GX
Rolleiflex 2.8F **
Rolleiflex 3.5F **
Mamiya C220F **
Mamiya C330F **

All are now available on Ebay or shops. Take your pick.

One word of caution is , many pro cameras where worked to the dead point. Some lenses may be worn out.
Old cameras are old cameras, I had my fair share playing Rolleiflex.
Buying new at lease have better peace of mind. But again, not always guaranteed.

Last edited:
Nikkornos said:
Interesting! I was visiting Steven almost every another day but didn't see them? His place is always full of cameras.

They were on the shelf next to the entrance. He has at least one SQ-B there were I last visited a few weeks back. Before that it was the sq-a. Looks like stocks moved pretty fast!

The late bronica's were pretty advanced - with the AE finder, you got spot/average metering and aperture priority shooting, even ttl flash. That's as convenient as you can get on a medium format system, I think. I love the square format, so I'm stocking enough SQ gears that will last my life time, or the film's, whichever ends first.

One advice from Jimmy Koh (many of you would have known him) is to stick with either the SQ or the SQ-A, and avoid the SQ-m and SQ-Ai. Well, I didn't know him when I started and have built up a system around the SQ-Ai. So the least I can do is to stock up a few more spare bodies. At usd130 a pop, I consider that a prudent investment :)

Back to the topic: I think there has never been a better time to try medium format photography, given that all these gears are so cheap now. And since all these manufacturers has gone busted, I don't think one will ever get such high quality stuffs at such bargain prices, ever. So, the time to act is now! Discover the joy of analog photography!

I picked up my Mamiya 645 AFD with 80mm, 55mm, 150mm, 55-105mm and 105-210mm for slightly over $1k -- 2 years back on ebay.
With 120 / 220 back

Pristine condition!

Thinking of even getting a digital back for $4k

Back to the topic: I think there has never been a better time to try medium format photography, given that all these gears are so cheap now. And since all these manufacturers has gone busted, I don't think one will ever get such high quality stuffs at such bargain prices, ever. So, the time to act is now! Discover the joy of analog photography!

You are right. US dollars is now at ~S$1.21 and about to breach the S$1.20 point.
If buying a used cam from EPrey it is a pretty good time.

However, it may spell trouble for Singapore most likely for next year.
The currency is way too strong and high.

You are right. US dollars is now at ~S$1.21 and about to breach the S$1.20 point.

agreed on both pts... at the moment, it's still pretty good to look at some of the online retailers

Save some money and go china to buy a big plot of land in the countryside. Grow some fruits and sell back to Singapore. Someday you can see china apple for $10 each in Singapore. You can use the earned money to buy more apple in china and eat happily :p

Issue here is some US seller don't want to ship to Singapore. Also you have to bear in mind the cost of shipment with insurance (Some seller die die wants shipping insurance to be included which is understandable) for a bigger item. (Like the 67 and bigger camera)

Last edited:
Not sure about you guys, but over here in Dubai, I have a virtual mailbox in the US, and have never had any issues with hasselblads, mamiyas - bodies, lenses, etc shipped to me. Maybe you guys can consider a vpost option?

Indeed so - items open to US buyers only tend to fetch a lower price. What you want is to register an account with ebay.com, and use vPost, or any of the trans-shipping companies to send the shipment. Located at the other side of the world means we have to be prepared to pay more for shipping.

ls

Issue here is some US seller don't want to ship to Singapore. Also you have to bear in mind the cost of shipment with insurance (Some seller die die wants shipping insurance to be included which is understandable) for a bigger item. (Like the 67 and bigger camera)

Save some money and go china to buy a big plot of land in the countryside. Grow some fruits and sell back to Singapore. Someday you can see china apple for $10 each in Singapore. You can use the earned money to buy more apple in china and eat happily :p

I have been in and out of China since 2003. I know 上海,苏州,昆山,无锡area well.
Although we see very rapid development in recent years, the quality of the people there still have a long way to go.
I opted NOT to go China anymore because I had enough of many things there.
Health is a primary concern. What's the point of making all the money and don't have to body to use it.
You don't know what you eat everyday, and the water has all sorts of chemicals.
Not that I am paranoid, there are many people say bye bye around 50 years old just that no body knows.
Also, China is land of NO LAWs. You can buy a plot of land but in 3 years time who it belongs to will be a mystery. I kid you not.

The best thing to do is make money and invest in Gold/Forex etc. Keep some pocket money for photography. :)

The great contribution from China to MF is SEAGULL TLR 4B-1. I say it again. Ha ha.

Indeed so - items open to US buyers only tend to fetch a lower price. What you want is to register an account with ebay.com, and use vPost, or any of the trans-shipping companies to send the shipment. Located at the other side of the world means we have to be prepared to pay more for shipping.
ls

Take note that Singapore side will impose a 7% GST for anything (regardless whether gift or not) exceeds $400 (postage inclusive).
That means if you buy a S$350 item with S$50 postage, will incur a S$28 GST.

Do it now as I have news 10% GST won't be far off. You can bet on it.

Many Americans I know are in deep trouble now. They will let go whatever on Ebay to survive. More to come soon.

If you have about S$2k money to play around with, now is an extremely good time to buy Quality MF stuff to enjoy.
Whether new or used, the exchange rate is hitting a level no one has seen before.
Getting a Hassy is so cheap now, in older days don't have a few k of spare cash no need to say.

Last edited: