What is the limited size of cam bag tht can be carried on board plane?

By right laptop bag and camera bag can bring on board and it is not counted as one of the hand carry luggage.

When I came back from oversea after outstation for a year, i managed to carry 60kg without excess luggage fee.

Which airline is so generous? I once checked in closed to 80kg and only the first 35kg is allowed and the rest have to pay excess charges. 没得keng...

I always carry at least a mini trekker + 1 sling bag onboard.

Dunno how big is TS's other bag as we only know the camera bag is a Fastpack 250.

Last edited:
Which airline is so generous? I once checked in closed to 80kg and only the first 35kg is allowed and the rest have to pay excess charges. 没得keng...

I think the trick is to go check-in early, because they tends to be less strict when the cargo area still empty. If you check-in at the last minute, the plane may not have space to take in additional cargo anymore.

I have managed to check in 27-28kg on SIA, Cathay, JAL as well as domestic airline. (within asia so that limit was 25kg only)

I guess budget airlines are more strict with the weight since the cargo space is smaller for those plane? :dunno:

I think the challenging part is to get pass the custom when carrying 30kg of hand luggage with me. Once you are in the boarding area, unlikely the staff can force you to go out again to check-in the excess luggage.

I think the trick is to go check-in early, because they tends to be less strict when the cargo area still empty. If you check-in at the last minute, the plane may not have space to take in additional cargo anymore.

I think the challenging part is to get pass the custom when carrying 30kg of hand luggage with me. Once you are in the boarding area, unlikely the staff can force you to go out again to check-in the excess luggage.

I think it is dependent on airline lah. I always check in early when the counter just opened so that there is sufficient time to negotiate with the airline staff. But that time was too much. After negotiate for 15 min, the supervisor say they can give 5 kg more allowance. The rest still have to charge.

Not really true that it is safe once you get to boarding area. I have seen instances whereby passengers are being asked to hand over the luggages for check-in both at the boarding area, on the aero-bridge and also in the plane if there is sufficient time, especially on some ang moh airlines. You are right that you really have to pretend your load is light.

Anyway, I think it is try your luck. TS, why don't you just get a backpack with notebook compartment. You can always leave your notebook at the hotel upon arrival.

Last edited:
can't say for sure. depends on your luck. I have seen some airlines strictly enforcing one hand carry luggage only while I have got away with one backpack and one shoulder carry. I think the trick is to make them appear light. Anyway, for you convenience and others, try not to have too many hand carry. I cannot stand those people that carry "big packet small packet" when they could have check them in. Because of the need to bring out laptop during security scanning. I have now proceed to check-in my laptop as well. Just bubble-wrap them and put them into the carry case. Then put the case between the clothes in your luggage.
Second you. depends on your luck and your get up.

If the flight is empty on that day, then generally full service player will not bother you about weight.... reverse is for budget carriers... they will try to make as much money!!
If you are dressed in business suit, probably they(check in agents) will prefer not to argue with you. their communication is not as good as you;)... however, if you are a foreign worker or look like that... you will sure get kana. Come to airport and see how many foreign workers are repackaging/reshuffling their buggage at the airport.

Different airlines has different luggage rules and it depends on sectors... unfortunately not all the ground staff knows that and hence, interpretation is at the discretion of the staff!!

Rule of thumb, as long as the bag fits into size and weight and the shape is not too odd, you should be able to carry on board... provided space is there and no safety concern!! Again interpretation is up to the staffs :eek:

Also note that you are allowed one personal item besides your handcarry. laptop computer is also considered personal item.

That is why I always have a slim should computer bag with my laptop and charger in it. Note that personal item is not counted towards the 7kgs weight limit. But if you leave it in your hand carry bag, they will weigh the whole thing and count it.

From tiger airways website:
9.7 Unchecked Baggage:
For Tiger Airways Singapore international (TR-prefix) flights, only one (1) piece of Baggage plus an additional hand-bag or laptop is allowed to be carried on board provided that it does not exceed the dimensions of 54cm X 38cm X 23cm and provided that it does not weigh more than 7 kilogrammes. Such Baggage must fit under the seat in front of you or in an enclosed storage compartment in the cabin. Items determined by us to be of excessive weight or size or of an offensive nature will not be permitted on board.

Last edited:
Travelled on Emirates inbound and outbound SG - Melbourne with a Compu Rover AW, and a Crumpler Quarfie. No problems there.

As mentioned earlier, weight limit for hand carry luggage is 7kg which does not include your lap top.

Some airports are more strict then others. Two that comes to mind are Australia and New Zealand, especially New Zealand. They are more strict when you are already over weight with your check in luggage.

I travel almost annually to NZ and without fail have been told to weigh my hand carry. My Samsonite cabin bag weighs almost 4kg (paid $500, for this bag:() Doesn't leave me much to add to my bag. Crazy!

Once I hand carried my badminton bag(cause the rackets are fragile) when leaving Singapore with no issues. Leaving NZ I was told that I had to check the bag in cause my rackets could be used as weapons:bigeyes::bigeyes:.

Anyway, it always pays to be polite and friendly with the check in staff. They are in a position to either help or be nasty.

Anyone managed to get on board with a Lowepro Stealth Reporter D650? :)

It depends on your luck, if the flight is only partially filled then they might give a bit of leeway in terms of luggage weight. If its fully occupied then suay loh.

I got thru asian airports with Lowepro Nature Trekker with no problem at all. sometimes hav difficulty slotting it into the overhead compartment.