What is the effective resolution that I should use

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanoman

Dec 17, 2002
a.little.red.dot
Hi guys,

I got a technical question. Here we go....

I have a 4 MegaPixel camera. Since I do not need to use the biggest resolution (around 2200x1500), so normally I set it to 1024x768. This is more on because of memory capacity, so that I can save more pics.

How does the CCD achieve this resolution? I understand that if I set it to the biggest resolution, I used up all the capability of my camera's CCD. But what if I use a smaller resolution, does it mean it use a smaller portion of CCD?

If my guessing is correct, so its actually a waste if I use my camera set to the lower resolution than my biggest resolution.

thanks in advance

Originally posted by hanoman
Hi guys,

I got a technical question. Here we go....

I have a 4 MegaPixel camera. Since I do not need to use the biggest resolution (around 2200x1500), so normally I set it to 1024x768. This is more on because of memory capacity, so that I can save more pics.

How does the CCD achieve this resolution? I understand that if I set it to the biggest resolution, I used up all the capability of my camera's CCD. But what if I use a smaller resolution, does it mean it use a smaller portion of CCD?

If my guessing is correct, so its actually a waste if I use my camera set to the lower resolution than my biggest resolution.

thanks in advance

Don't know, but I think there are a few methods to achieve this

1) Use more sensors to approximate a pixel

eg. for 2200 *1500 the camera use (2X2) four sensors per pixel
for 1100 *750 the camera use (4X4) sixteen sensors per pixel

2) Capture the file in the buffer, then sample this file to make
it smaller before writing to the CF card.

3) Only Switch on the sensors that are required to produce the
image, therefore buffer contain less info, and processing is
speed up.

eg. to use 2200*1500 at 1100*750
,the camera turn on the alternate sensors only,
,like sensor 1,1; 1,3; 1,5; .....
3,1; 3,3; 3,5;.....
5,1; 5,3; 5,5;......

Status
Not open for further replies.