What is the best camera phone right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from IQ (which PnS have a bigger sensor size than Camera phone), most camera phone don't zoom.... Shutter Lag & low flash output... is another problem with Camera Phone.

If you disagree, maybe you can suggest a new camera phone (best) and a new PnS (worst from the major vendor) and we could put it in a vote? :think:

:bsmilie: True. Didn't think that deep. But if I remember correctly, some camera phones have optical zoom?

:bsmilie: True. Didn't think that deep. But if I remember correctly, some camera phones have optical zoom?

Yes I know.... Samsung & Nokia both have models that have optical zoom... but only 3x.... When you are comparing a camera phone with a PnS, it is like comparing a dslr & PnS...

To an expert a camera phone can take better photos than a dslr, but it doesn't make a camera phone the best camera of all... it is the "expert" that is good.. and this kind of people are rare.... :)

if you looking only for phone + camera, i think the SE C905 beats everyone handsdown. i used it before, and the IQ is really good. but its pretty fat and heavy and designed to really look like a PnS. battery life isnt the best, and the slide mechanism isn't the best. i had one, and the speaker conked out on me within a week. the black version has a matt finish that i believe will get scratched easily. but of course its really userfriendly, camera is excellent and call quality is good.

after the speaker stopped working, i replaced it with an LG Renoir (KC910). its also 8mp, has touch screen, very user-friendly, and camera is pretty decent, with a mode that lets you shoot "lomo-ish" photos. the camera isnt as good as the C905, but im happier with the LG. :D

been using n82 nokia..not too bad.

got autofocus and xenon flash!

So everyone thinks a stand alone P & S will do better? Since I just bought a new Powershot E 1, perhaps I should hang on...

Really depends on the quality of pictures you will accept with a phone camera.
Personally, I will only buy after seeing and liking real-life samples of pictures taken by real people.
So far, the Nokia N81/82 produces decent photo quality and I'm thinking of getting one.
Check out this link below. This guy does a food blog with his Nokia phone, and I must say I like the pictures so far:
http://eatbma.blogspot.com/

Personally I think based on the current technology currently in the market, even the worst PnS (current models from the major brands) are better than the best Camera Phone currently in the market... Any thoughts anyone? :think:

You're missing the point. TS wants a good phonecam, but not a phonecam to replace a compact. It's like saying to someone who wants to buy a compact and you tell him, oh, it'll never be as good as a DSLR.

Yes, it is obvious that a phonecam can not (note, I didn't use the word "never") be as good as a digicam, but how often do most people carry a digicam with them everywhere they go? The whole idea is that if you're out and about, see something nice, you can snap it and get reasonable quality.

A phonecam at hand is better than a 24.6MP DSLR left at home.

I know I need a phone on my trips, and my DSLR is a bit too bulky for some days when I just want to enjoy say a party instead of looking like the official photographer.

But I love having a small camera, eg for taking pics of the food, people etc, the moment is more important.

Actually I already feel my Canon E1 is a tad slow, so if phone cameras are more noisy (PQ) and less responsive, then I may pass.

One of best shots was taken with my 1.1 mp Palm phone...

I think it depends on what you want... can anyone suggest a Camera Phone that is better than a PnS?

Last edited:
FWIW, the old K850i and the Nokia N82, in good light, can produce results that are actually better than some of the tourist post-cards you see!

You're missing the point. TS wants a good phonecam, but not a phonecam to replace a compact. It's like saying to someone who wants to buy a compact and you tell him, oh, it'll never be as good as a DSLR.

True... I have OT already.... :bsmilie:

Just an update:

The shots from a camera phone are great in ideal conditions

BUT

Its the percentage shots -- under less ideal conditions, it fails quite badly. So if it can take 30% of the shots, a P n S can do 60% and finally my DSLR can do 99% of the shots, I chose to carry my Pn S and my Nokia for now.

Thanks for the advice friends.

Based on reviews, it seems to be the Samsung Pixon.

Currently using Nokia N95 8GB.
5mp camera with Carl Zeiss.
IQ is great for a camera phone.

which ever brand a camera phone taken under strong sunlight will appear good.

LG Renoir is good too :p

Status
Not open for further replies.