What is "P mode"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nalanji

Apr 14, 2007
title says it all...

program. auto.

P Mode = Pro Mode... :)

seriusly, is P mode = Auto mode, means Shutter speed and Aperture controlled by the camera, but you can still adjust the ISO setting.

Page 52 of the 400D manual says...

P: Program AE

To obtain a good exposure of the subject, the camera sets the exposure (shutter speed and aperture) automatically. This is called program AE.

The program can be shifted (Program shift)

After pressing the shutter button halfway, turn the dial (my 400D one is next to the shutter button, the rolly thingy) to change the shutter speed and aperture setting combination

Can also change ISO and focus type, white balance, picture style, and uhh.. Basically more customisable den full auto, but no need to think too much

IMO, the Program Auto mode is like between the full auto and creative modes (Av, Tv, M). It just allows u to adjust certain functions but not all, and the rest is up to the camera.

professional!

look at my signature.

P means Play...when switch to that, can play brick game and other games on the LCD screen...

just kidding, look at ur camera mannual..

Program mode is not the same as auto mode. "Program" refers to a fixed set of 'programmed' values for aperture/shutter speed values at a certain exposure, with the metering mode, exposure compensation, focus mode, drive mode, white balance and a lot of others parameters still controlled by the photographer. There are separate 'auto' modes which are really auto, where the SLR pretty much reverts to 'point-and-shoot'.

Canon's P mode is useful for me in two scenarios: 1) when i'm using large aperture lenses (f2.0 or faster) in dim and varying indoor lighting, and i want the camera to stop down by itself and much as possible while maintaining a constant exposure compensation and 2) when i want to the camera to use the flash as the dominant light source and NOT meter from ambient light. (If this doesn't make sense, pls read your manual.)

Thanks guys! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.