What is an external flash for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by shuy
how much is the metz? where can i see its specs?

about $170 there about. Specs? go to www.metz.de. I'm using it for my Epson 3100Z ;) anyway, Epson recommended 32Z-2.

170?? wow that's expensive... my budget's only 100. is it worth the extra 70 if i take pictures just as a hobby?

another query.... will a powerful flash improve night scenery pictures?

170?? wow that's expensive... my budget's only 100. is it worth the extra 70 if i take pictures just as a hobby?

Metz flash is worth the money... as for whether a powerful flash improving night scenery pix... hmmm.. i think that have to depends on how far is the subject. if you can taking landscape e.g. take from sheares bridge and subject is CBD nice nice night scenery, the flash would not be of anyhelp. mabbe a slower shutter speed will be good... i'm still new to this, ask the expert around loh..

Just go for the Achiever 260T first. 170's really not a small sum of money to spend on a flash. It should be pretty good enough considering the 3x zoom on your camera.

how does 3x zoom affect the flash? isn't the physical distance still the same distance... hence not helping much in terms of flash exposure?

For night scenery, the flash would be useless as it will not be able to illuminate the "scene" suffuciently to provide enough details on film.

zephyr correctly pointed out that it would much better to use long exposures or even multiple exposures to capture night sceneries. Important tools to use for this would be a sturdy tripod to mount your system and a a remote cable release. Below is an example of a night scene taken with long exposure.

Tower_Bridge_II.jpg

ya i tried capturing a night scene w/ 1s exposure. i put it on a sturdy base, but it still was blur. i guess everything's magnified in a long shutter spd shot.

btw great shot!

ok, does the achiever have synchro flash? it's supposed to enhance night photos right?

what's a remote cable release?
It's the cable (either an electrical, a mechanical or even an infrared version depending on your SLR or DSLR) which you attach to the camera body so that when you trip the shutter release with it, you do it without physically touching your camera. This is to prevent accidental camera vibrations that will give you a blurred picture... very critical issue when dealing with long exposures or shots at high magnifications!

Picture below show one of my setups with the use of the cable release (the wire that you see trailing along the ground).

cable.jpg

does my Epson 3100Z have such an option to get one? so it's really critical? or is it acceptable for a normal night shot of say 2s?

my cam has a 10second delay button, so will that be sufficient?

does my Epson 3100Z have such an option to get one? so it's really critical? or is it acceptable for a normal night shot of say 2s?

my cam has a 10second delay button, so will that be sufficient?

I had a quick look at you model on the web and I have a very strong feeling that it does not have the facility for a remote release system. BUT... the other way around this issue is to use the timer function, as you've already indicated. That way, the shutter is still tripped "remotely" without you physically touching it. End result will be the same.

As for the duration of exposure, it can vary between 1 sec to even 20 or 30 secs! It all depends on the available light and what you're metering off. Trust your camera meter as they are right 95% of the time. If you question it, the other way to determine exposure time would be thru' a handheld lightmeter. I use my Gossen Mastersix lightmeter in most of my night shots out of habit but also as a counter-check against my system's internal metering which I tend to set to "spot" for metering such shots.

how does 3x zoom affect the flash? isn't the physical distance still the same distance... hence not helping much in terms of flash exposure?

when you want to get good framing in portraits, you will have to move close cos of the more limited zoom compared to other cameras that could zoom more. And when you move closer, you don't need such a powerful flash cos the physical distance is smaller.

I'm trying to suggest something that can meet most of your needs without stretching your pockets so much. There're more powerful flash out there which have a longer range and costs >>$600.

So can recommend any budget ttl flash/auto flash for eos500n?
student user, not so advanced and tight budget.... :D

Anyone?

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.