What does it take to become a photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It amazes me also to see so much pro work looking amaturish.

I am shocked to see people think breaking into the industry is like brain surgery. Yes, I am amazed. :cool:

:bsmilie: :sweatsm: :sweat:

I just like to shoot, that's all.

Rueyloon makes plenty of sense. So too does Ian.

I just got married recently and I am AMAZED by how much these photographers earn....

I am so curious what does it takes to be successful? I can't really tell what is nice but my wife positively insist on some photographer's works are much better.

Hey,
rueyloon, we are your customers for actual day... book already but haven't take yet :)

We spend sooo much on photography and we even went to NZ for our pre-wedding shots. Now I am getting interested in photography :) maybe it it a better job than engineer. But none of you have answered the QUESTION, what it takes to be a professional photographer.

wind30 said:
Now I am getting interested in photography :) maybe it it a better job than engineer. But none of you have answered the QUESTION, what it takes to be a professional photographer.

If we know all the answers to this question, life would be a lot simpler.

I am not a full-time pro. My monthly income from stock sales after 3 years is only approaching half of the income of my day job.

I guess you are not going to know unless you get your hair wet. Try to make your first $10,000 from photography and come back and post. And you may not still have all the answers then.

Every field of endeavour in photography is different. So is evey photographer's personal experience and approach and game plan. What works for me would not be necessary be the way Loon Ruey or Jed wants to go. In fact both of them might even laugh at me.

I wish you all the best of luck.

wind30 said:
I just got married recently and I am AMAZED by how much these photographers earn....

I am so curious what does it takes to be successful? I can't really tell what is nice but my wife positively insist on some photographer's works are much better.

Hey,
rueyloon, we are your customers for actual day... book already but haven't take yet :)

We spend sooo much on photography and we even went to NZ for our pre-wedding shots. Now I am getting interested in photography :) maybe it it a better job than engineer. But none of you have answered the QUESTION, what it takes to be a professional photographer.

Im studying engineering too but i don't think im going to be an engineer. Nowadays, i think about taking pictures everyday, everything abt photography just runs thru my mind. It's going to be a long way down the road but i would hope to be a photographer one day because of the passion, not money. Anyway, i didn't know average photographer earns alot? I thought only the famous ones make the bug bucks? Wind, how much do the photographers u know earn?

Sion said:
If we know all the answers to this question, life would be a lot simpler.

I am not a full-time pro. My monthly income from stock sales after 3 years is only approaching half of the income of my day job.

I guess you are not going to know unless you get your hair wet. Try to make your first $10,000 from photography and come back and post. And you may not still have all the answers then.

Every field of endeavour in photography is different. So is evey photographer's personal experience and approach and game plan. What works for me would not be necessary be the way Loon Ruey or Jed wants to go. In fact both of them might even laugh at me.

I wish you all the best of luck.

It's one of my plan for the future too. To invest and earn while working on photography. You're not alone ;p

well.. as far as I know... Desmond Wong cost 10K a day for a fullday shoot, Wee Khim... hmm.. around 5-8K.. gotten this quote from my friend who's doing some Govt. stuff this period of time...:bigeyes:

so unless you are they are as good as them.. then you command that price...

SniperD said:
well.. as far as I know... Desmond Wong cost 10K a day for a fullday shoot, Wee Khim... hmm.. around 5-8K.. gotten this quote from my friend who's doing some Govt. stuff this period of time...:bigeyes:

so unless you are they are as good as them.. then you command that price...

:bigeyes: hmmmz....i shld drop sch now.. :)

ordinaryless said:
explain yourself? ;p

Simple, here we have a case of: 3 professionals (Jed, rueyloon, myself) who have replied, 1 part-timer (sion), 1 wannabee (sniperD) and the rest are unknowns, but highly likely to be amateurs judging by their answers. This is a fairly typical mix here on CS.

Do a search of the site (keywords something like professional and photographer) and you'll find quite a few threads dealing with the reality of being a working professional, as opposed to some spotty or not so spotty kid who picks up a couple of low rent jobs now and then.

As the saying goes, professional photography is a cruel mistress, it calls many yet few are chosen.

amateur photographer here...

ordinariless... pls take what i say with a pinch of salt! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.