What camera to buy?

not to confuse u more but i also came from a pns but lost my canon s90 and so i move on to a m43 panasonic gf5, i love it, same as u i use it for my kiddo and travel mostly but i found i been carrying it with my more often than my pns coz with the right lens, it is a joy to see the pictures it can produce, i went for the gf5 due to its size and attracted to it by its fast AF (for me), it is marketed as a beginner's m43 and the size is not that big.... experimenting it with shutter speed mode and we can get such images... :)
7844026646_d89f232394_n.jpg

actually a good place to research (for me) is youtube, lots of good reviews and i am quite visual so seeing a user use the product allows me to understand the camera better before hitting the shops.

Last edited:
Thanks will take a look at youtube later.

panasonic gf5 is not panasonic G5?

Yup, GF5 which is the successor for GF3. GF3 is going at good price actually, physically they are almost 99% alike except GF5 has some techie upgrades but for a normal me i like the improvement in their LCD screen. this is also my first time using a camera with touchscreen.

was at best denki bishan junction 8 and its going for 949 + lotsa freebies from sd card to tripod + dry box, i gotten my from ms color AMK at 950.

I empathize with you, being confused with so much technical info. I have only 2 inputs to help de-clutter your decision process. (1) Don't buy the flash first. When travelling, it is hardly used & inconvenient to use on the move. (2) Don't spend too much. Buy something lighter and smaller for your Oct travel, and to last 2-3 years so that at your next purchase when you grew tired of this camera, there'll be no heartaches because you didn't spend a lot :)

If you are keen on the Micro 4/3 cameras, i suggest you go to the Micro 4/3 sub forum to check out on the images taken by the forumers here.
[ Gallery ] - Images from Olympus micro 4/3 cameras

[ Gallery ] Images from Panasonic micro 4/3 cameras

Basically, the Olympus M43 and the Panasonic M43 can share the same lenses.
However, I would recommend you try out the OMD or the Olympus Pen such as EPL3, EPM1, or EP3, as the Out of Camera (OOC) images are more pleasing, and you do not need to do much post processing.
Moreover, the Olympus cameras comes with IBIS, or In body image stabilization. This will help take take sharper images easily.

Do note that is this the time when both Olympus and Panasonic are releasing new cameras, and the existing models will likely see a price drop soon.

Cameras just make up 1 part of the camera systems. The lenses available are also very important consideration. The M4/3 cameras currently have the largest selection of lenses covering a wide focal length. These lenses are smaller than those used by APS-C cameras, and hence lighter and smaller too.

Last edited:
Dont think there's any camera out there that have feature to take still pic when in video mode (like mobile phone ,HTC oneX, Samsung Galaxy S3)

Thanks all for your valuable feedback.

Lol I am getting really confuse now :confused: ;)

1) Sony Nex - inability to use external flash
2) Panasonic G3/5
3) Olympus OM-D - focusing is really fast and accurate, and if all you want is to snap fast, and not too nit-picky about image quality, the OM-D is for you
4) Fuji X100 - high ISO capability is just astonishing, sharp lens, viewfinder ability to shoot up close makes this camera so versatile. The only downside to this camera is that if you are not trained to shoot at one focal length, you will not like it.
5) Skip shop in Orchard and Sim Lim :bsmilie:

I just have a few question regarding the above models.

1) Which camera are able to take still when in video mode?
2) For me video recording is also important when I purchase a camera
3) Able to do the necessary auto adjustment when taking photos for different environment and subjects
4) Is external flash a impt accessories?

Thanks for all your time.

Errz said:
Dont think there's any camera out there that have feature to take still pic when in video mode (like mobile phone ,HTC oneX, Samsung Galaxy S3)

Haaaaave. Even the sony rx100 point and shoot can do this.

Thanks all for your valuable feedback.

Lol I am getting really confuse now :confused: ;)

1) Sony Nex - inability to use external flash
2) Panasonic G3/5
3) Olympus OM-D - focusing is really fast and accurate, and if all you want is to snap fast, and not too nit-picky about image quality, the OM-D is for you
4) Fuji X100 - high ISO capability is just astonishing, sharp lens, viewfinder ability to shoot up close makes this camera so versatile. The only downside to this camera is that if you are not trained to shoot at one focal length, you will not like it.
5) Skip shop in Orchard and Sim Lim :bsmilie:

I just have a few question regarding the above models.

1) Which camera are able to take still when in video mode?
2) For me video recording is also important when I purchase a camera
3) Able to do the necessary auto adjustment when taking photos for different environment and subjects
4) Is external flash a impt accessories?

Thanks for all your time.

OMD may be out of your budget. ($1400?)
Its arguably the best m4/3 camera now for stills.
The G3 and G5 is really close. Except for the on camera stabilization.
But the G3 is 1/2 the price of the OMD. (G5 is probably cheaper as well based on the G3 initial pricing was ~S$800)
AF, G3/G5 are as fast as the OMD.

Last edited:
Sorry my mum fell down last fri. So I am very busy at the moment. No time to reply. Thanks for all your help

Thank you guys/gals. My mum has her operation on tue and she is now back to normal ward. :)

Last week I went to take a look at Nikon J1 and V1 at Harvey Norman, the salesman keep on saying Nikon V1 is such a fantastic all round camera and is the "only" camera that can take still while video recording? After handling it it seems a bit difficult to hold on to the camera for me:dunno:
When I try to ask him to show me Panasonic GF5/ Sony Nex (he said photo too real), he said those cameras are not very good :confused: Then I began to get irritated by him

Tom I will be going down COMEX and I still cannot decide which camera to buy

1) Nikon J1
2) Nikon V1
3) Panasonic G3
4) Panasonic G5
5) Sony Nex

I really like the feature of Nikon V1 or J1 where u can take still while video recording. But overall, I think I need a camera which can assist me on photo taking, and the quality of the photograph should be above average. The video should also be reasonably well. I cannot decide :dunno:

Thank you guys/gals. My mum has her operation on tue and she is now back to normal ward. :)

Last week I went to take a look at Nikon J1 and V1 at Harvey Norman, the salesman keep on saying Nikon V1 is such a fantastic all round camera and is the "only" camera that can take still while video recording? After handling it it seems a bit difficult to hold on to the camera for me:dunno:
When I try to ask him to show me Panasonic GF5/ Sony Nex (he said photo too real), he said those cameras are not very good :confused: Then I began to get irritated by him

1) Nikon J1
2) Nikon V1
3) Panasonic G3
4) Panasonic G5
5) Sony Nex

I really like the feature of Nikon V1 or J1 where u can take still while video recording. But overall, I think I need a camera which can assist me on photo taking, and the quality of the photograph should be above average. The video should also be reasonably well. I cannot decide :dunno:

Don't believe the salesperson. Do your own research. The Nikon J1 and V1 are massively overvalued because the sensor size is much smaller compared to the competition.

See this image for illustration:
Digital_Camera_Sensor_sizes.jpg

The Panasonic uses the four-thirds size. The Sony NEX (and Samsung NX) uses the Canon APS-C size.

The Panasonics and Sony you have mentioned should produce much much better quality.

Don't believe the salesperson. Do your own research. The Nikon J1 and V1 are massively overvalued because the sensor size is much smaller compared to the competition.

See this image for illustration:
Digital_Camera_Sensor_sizes.jpg

The Panasonic uses the four-thirds size. The Sony NEX (and Samsung NX) uses the Canon APS-C size.

The Panasonics and Sony you have mentioned should produce much much better quality.

Thanks.

So now I should only choose from Panasonic G3/G5 or Sony Nex (samsung I dont really trust).

Thanks.

So now I should only choose from Panasonic G3/G5 or Sony Nex (samsung I dont really trust).

Why don't you trust Samsung? They make good products. I've used my cam since May 2010 and faced no problems so far.

Last edited:
Thank you guys/gals. My mum has her operation on tue and she is now back to normal ward.

Last week I went to take a look at Nikon J1 and V1 at Harvey Norman, the salesman keep on saying Nikon V1 is such a fantastic all round camera and is the "only" camera that can take still while video recording? After handling it it seems a bit difficult to hold on to the camera for me

1) Nikon J1
2) Nikon V1
3) Panasonic G3
4) Panasonic G5
5) Sony Nex

I really like the feature of Nikon V1 or J1 where u can take still while video recording. But overall, I think I need a camera which can assist me on photo taking, and the quality of the photograph should be above average. The video should also be reasonably well. I cannot decide

If you don't feel comfortable using the camera, then it's a sign that you should at least give it more thought before deciding to buy.
Not sure if V1 is the only camera that can take stills during video capture, but it was one of the marketed features of this cam. I would assume there are others by now. It seems like an interesting feature to have.

The salesman was feeding you a bunch of nonsense. What the heck is 'photo too real' ?? Don't trust them.
My personal opinion is that the Nikon J1 and V1 don't quite seem like the 'finished product'. I think Nikon will refine the features/ergonomics a bit more when they roll out the replacement models.

Sorry guys in the end I bought Nikon v1 cos 200 dollars discount + lots of freebies

$1199(usual 1399) with 10-30mm and 30-110mm lens
2x 16 gb sd card class 10
Electronic dry box( so big)
Tripod
Bag
Cleaning kit
Card reader
Screen protector
Extra battery
40.5mm uv filter
Customized skin
$10 cashcard
4 gb thumbdrive+ flexi keyboard (uob lucky draw)

Thanks for all the help

Sorry guys in the end I bought Nikon v1 cos 200 dollars discount + lots of freebies

Thanks for all the help

Congrats. It should give you some pretty decent pictures. Just shoot as many and as often as possible.

zenga said:

$1199(usual 1399) with 10-30mm and 30-110mm lens
2x 16 gb sd card class 10
Electronic dry box( so big)
Tripod
Bag
Cleaning kit
Card reader
Screen protector
Extra battery
40.5mm uv filter
Customized skin
$10 cashcard
4 gb thumbdrive+ flexi keyboard (uob lucky draw)

Thanks for all the help

Since u bought it, then enjoy it as much as u can

Once u get tired of it, able to re sell it