What are the uses of TIFF format? (Nikon cameras)

Adobe Photoshop can open NEF files from most Nikon cameras if you have downloaded and updated the Adobe Camera Raw plugin (Also commonly known as ACR for short). Since NEF is a raw representation of data captured by the photosites on the sensor, they are stored without any manipulation. The 12/14 bits RGB pixel data are not demosaiced in a NEF file. For TIFF, the 16 bit RGB values are demosaiced.

I see that. much appreciated for your idea. hmm... not really sure about the demosaiced word but i'm gonna find out :)

Years ago....some of the first Full Frame bodies (eg Canon 1ds Mk1 sorry i know this is Nikon territory) actully produced TIFF files when shooting in 'RAW' when this area of file formats was still a grey area

U can imagine the headache..... a 1-2 gig CF card was a pretty big deal then and shooting in 'RAW' then, u had to carry loads of cards

haha! no worries bout the territories stuff. i mean, this is more of a general discussion in file format :)

and yeah... in the olden days people had to spend lots of cash just to get some overrated "high" capacity cards (technology in the olden days) to shot RAW format. LOL :bsmilie:

Thanks. Good enough for me, now I know exactly when NEF life began. I think RAW format already existed then, and was adopted by Canon?...

RAW at first was adopted by canon, called CR(canon raw) and CR2 is the improved version (the current format in most dslr nowadays)