What are the equipments /stuffs a professional photographer needs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's be honest about one thing: Photographic equipment is not cheap.

How much would a professional bus or truck driver have to pay to own his/her own bus/truck?
How much would a machinist pay for a CNC mill and lathe to start his/her own precision engineering machine shop?
How much money would a semiconductor process engineer need to start his/her own fab?

Compared to this, photographic equipment is dirt cheap.

you want to be in the business?
have a business mind is far more important than anything else.
else you will be out of business very soon.

you can loan money to set up a business
with money you can buy all you want and need

if you can shoot very well, but can't find buyer,
your business will fail.
if your shots are so so only, but able to find many buyers.
you are the one have the last laugh, and laughing all the way to the bank.

doing business only one goal,
making profit to sustain the business,
unless you are doing for charity.

I have seen many people come and go in all these years.
I wrote what I saw.

totally agree with you. Just look at the IPod, they sell at a premium price compared to other MP3 players, and yet people are buying it in droves.
You need a good business/marketing plan to stay a float. Just depending on skills is not enough.
So many MP3 players, better sound quality, more features and cheaper than IPod has failed.
As an example, photogs at the Singapore Zoo charges $35 for 3 printed pics. They are making a killing, yet people are buying and most of the pics I saw had highlights blown. Think of where people really need photographs badly, like selling water in the dessert. If there is no dessert, create one. Example, After sports, people are thirsty and buys water to drink. Sell drinks at a sports event or organize a sports event and have exclusive rights to sell drinks. This is cross selling concept.
Maybe organize a night event where a powerful flash is mandatory for good photographs. Most folks have wimpy flashes that simply fails in those situations.

To answer your question, if you're going into this whole wedding thing full time, here's what i find useful starting from the most expensive

1. Computer Software. Buying licensed software for each and every computer adds up really really fast
2. Computers and peripherals like scanners, printers, etc. We love our macs
3. portfolio samples
4. lighting gear. I don't have much but some studio photogs have heaps
5. cameras, I'd stat with at least 2 camera bodies
6. lenses, a couple to choose from would be nice
7. lots and lots of memory cards
8. Accessories like light stands, bags

But if you're wanting to start up, the least of your problems is the gear. Anyway, personally i think the wedding market is in a little of a bubble right now, like the bubble tea bubble. I'd wait for it to burst first then see if it's worth your while getting in.

To answer your question, if you're going into this whole wedding thing full time, here's what i find useful starting from the most expensive

1. Computer Software. Buying licensed software for each and every computer adds up really really fast
2. Computers and peripherals like scanners, printers, etc. We love our macs
3. portfolio samples
4. lighting gear. I don't have much but some studio photogs have heaps
5. cameras, I'd stat with at least 2 camera bodies
6. lenses, a couple to choose from would be nice
7. lots and lots of memory cards
8. Accessories like light stands, bags

But if you're wanting to start up, the least of your problems is the gear. Anyway, personally i think the wedding market is in a little of a bubble right now, like the bubble tea bubble. I'd wait for it to burst first then see if it's worth your while getting in.
I agreed with you on this, anyway, whatever it is, the fittest and the leaner will survive. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.