Weird issue with IS

whoope3

May 29, 2005
Hello all,

Just wondering whether anybody can help me with this problem i'm having..

I'm using a Canon 60D, and just bought an EF-S 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM lens.

The problem is, the lens gives me blurred images when IS is ON. BUT, the images come out perfectly sharp when IS is OFF. I tested with the 18-55mm kit lens, and the pictures were clear and sharp with and without IS, so the problem isn't with the camera.

Can anybody offer some advice? Thank you!

Please see attached image for reference.

Both images were with the exact same camera settings, and shot from a tripod.

F-stop: 8
Exposure: 1/160
ISO: 160
Focal: 85mm

IS1.png

yes general rule of thumb. turn off IS when you're on a tripod.

No issue with the lens. Its doing what it suppose to do. Please read up what is call IS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_lens_mount#Image_stabilizer

The image stabilization (IS) technology detects handheld motion and optically corrects it. It only corrects handheld motion; if the subject of the photograph is moving, IS will not stop it. It also can only stabilize so much motion, ranging from two to five stops, depending on the specific IS in the lens.

It corrects motion blur will handheld. With tripod it is stabilize but the IS still compensating so it will create blur image.

Yes, I agree with everyone above. IS should be turned off whenever a camera is used on a tripod. The IS mechanism itself introduces vibration to counteract hand-held action. When it is placed on a tripod it is still vibrating but there is no hand held motion to counter-act, therefore the camera itself will vibrate producing less than sharp photographs.

There is a small switch usually to the left of the lens when looking from the rear. Turn it off whenever a tripod is used. Turn it back on when hand-holding your camera.

The 15-85 is a pretty new design, it should have the later-generation IS with tripod-detection and silently kill IS if mounted on a tripod.
A visit to CSC might be needed.

The 15-85 is a pretty new design, it should have the later-generation IS with tripod-detection and silently kill IS if mounted on a tripod.
A visit to CSC might be needed.
i agree - the 15-85 is supposed to have tripod detection (according the following links):

- http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/465-canon_1585_3556is
- http://www.canoncameramodels.com/canon-ef-s-15-85mm-f3-5-5-6-is-usm-ud-review/

however, even with tripod detection, you should turn IS off to save battery.

Did u not read the manual that comes with the lens. The instructions are there rite?

Hello all,

Just wondering whether anybody can help me with this problem i'm having..

I'm using a Canon 60D, and just bought an EF-S 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM lens.

The problem is, the lens gives me blurred images when IS is ON. BUT, the images come out perfectly sharp when IS is OFF. I tested with the 18-55mm kit lens, and the pictures were clear and sharp with and without IS, so the problem isn't with the camera.

Can anybody offer some advice? Thank you!

Please see attached image for reference.

Both images were with the exact same camera settings, and shot from a tripod.

F-stop: 8
Exposure: 1/160
ISO: 160
Focal: 85mm

IS1.png

I tried the IS on a tripod too but the results are not so bad....

Thanks all for the replies.

I just tested the camera again, this time hand held.

Results are still the same, even at various camera settings. So i think i got myself a lemon lens :cry:

Results are still the same, even at various camera settings. So i think i got myself a lemon lens :cry:

i will say 99% it is user problem. no fault with the lens. cos lemon lens wun get your photos blurred. blurred = hand shaked photos most of the time.

try shooting auto mode (those scene modes) again with the IS ON and OFF. Because the manual mode u are using might not be suitable for the light condition that you are shooting (i dun know under what light condition you are shooting).

Last edited:

If you really suspect it is a lemon, then take it down to CSC and have them check it up. remember to take your camera with you.

Ok. I've just 'solved' the 'problem'.

Apparently, this issue will arise when a certain setup of studio flashes are in use. I just tested free hand with all the flashes off, and the pictures came out perfect with and without IS.

Oddly enough the kit 18-55mm is unaffected by this issue.

i will say 99% it is user problem. no fault with the lens. cos lemon lens wun get your photos blurred. blurred = hand shaked photos most of the time.

try shooting auto mode (those scene modes) again with the IS ON and OFF. Because the manual mode u are using might not be suitable for the light condition that you are shooting (i dun know under what light condition you are shooting).

Yes, you are right. This was purely a user problem. Learning is a trial & error process, right? :)

Apparently, this issue will arise when a certain setup of studio flashes are in use. I just tested free hand with all the flashes off, and the pictures came out perfect with and without IS.

Yes, you are right. This was purely a user problem. Learning is a trial & error process, right? :)

This is new to me. Keep us updated if you have further findings. Thanks.

This is new to me. Keep us updated if you have further findings. Thanks.

This is new to me too. What kind of flash and lens combo did you use and how did flash affect the IS on the lens so that it blurred the photo?

Hmmm what is your setup? I am also using a similar set up.

Use of studio flash should shorten the shutter speed and reduce chance of blurring, I am not sure how use of studio flash would introduce blurring issues.

Did you tell your camera to use slow sync flash? That's the only possibility I can think of.

Last edited:
Use of studio flash should shorten the shutter speed and reduce chance of blurring, I am not sure how use of studio flash would introduce blurring issues.

Did you tell your camera to use slow sync flash? That's the only possibility I can think of.

Not possible. Based on his shutter speed, the camera would have change to 1st curtain sync