wedding photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
hehe ...
nexttime if anyone saw 'someone' using a LCA and a F5 with 35mm, during the AD wedding ... then is me liao :lovegrin:

ckuang said:
Hi Lens, this is my opinion on wedding photography for what it's worth

1. No matter how many lenses and cameras you have, you'll never have the right one for the wedding you're shooting. You'll always wishing for something else. The best camera and lens combo is the one you're holding. So you don't have a zoom, that's ok, you just have to walk more. I shoot many of my weddings with just a 35mm lens. It's more than fine for me.

2. If your friends are not paying you, I wouldn't run out and buy gear. a 50mm lens is more than enough.

3. I really have to highlight that wedding photography, at a fine art level, should really be an expression of yourself as a photographer. If you can't or don't want to shoot group shots, just let the couple know. They're not paying you, so you should have the freedom to shoot in anyway you want. Even for my paying clients, i don't shoot group shots because it's not my style. If you feel obligated, then shoot it, but if you don't feel like doing it, don't.

Hope this helps.

Hi ckuang, thanks for your opinion, that is true that the best camera is what we are having now.

For the Ang Pao issue, i believe most of you have encountered similar circumstance, friends ask it for a favor without pay. Well, we can't change how they think.. some of them may just expect a P&S to be around..ha, what i can do is try my best to have some good photos, the rest.. i leave it haa. Have a chance to take photos, isn't it what a photographer want? the rest leave it to god.;)

Well, take the good photos, use for your portfolio :)

LENS said:
Hi ckuang, thanks for your opinion, that is true that the best camera is what we are having now.

For the Ang Pao issue, i believe most of you have encountered similar circumstance, friends ask it for a favor without pay. Well, we can't change how they think.. some of them may just expect a P&S to be around..ha, what i can do is try my best to have some good photos, the rest.. i leave it haa. Have a chance to take photos, isn't it what a photographer want? the rest leave it to god.;)

Take nice nice photo .... Cos the couple will show the album to their friends, relatives ....
Who know this free session ..... will help you gain 10 business opportunities in the future ... :kiss:
Then if you are too busy nexttime ..... ask me to shoot for you .... but i only own a LCA and 35mm lor .... :lovegrin:

xxxger said:
Take nice nice photo .... Cos the couple will show the album to their friends, relatives ....
Who know this free session ..... will help you gain 10 business opportunities in the future ... :kiss:
Then if you are too busy nexttime ..... ask me to shoot for you .... but i only own a LCA and 35mm lor .... :lovegrin:

shoot free this time, and couple tell others you shoot free... eh... how to set the rate the next time?:dunno:

Snow_One said:
shoot free this time, and couple tell others you shoot free... eh... how to set the rate the next time?:dunno:

Tell them I want to buy D2X, rate is $750 for one wedding as I need ten weddings to accumulate this amount. :embrass:

Paul_Yeo said:
Tell them I want to buy D2X, rate is $750 for one wedding as I need ten weddings to accumulate this amount. :embrass:

No wonder so many photogs charge $1300 nowadays, cause they must want to buy 1dsmk2 ($1300x10=$13000).

Woah...didn't know my 'ang bao' cause quite a stir...;)

Whether accept or not is up to the individual lah...for me, I'd convey my thanks to the couple before that, so that there's no need for such formalities during the actual day. If they insist, I'll still accept with thanks. In my family circle, to nicely reject an ang bao being offered is considered courtesy and considerate. Of course there will be many who will think otherwise.

Usually, I'll spell out everything to the couple before the actual day, so that everything can go as planned, and no wishy-washy on their big day.

xxxger said:

you will never gain a business if they know you shoot for free, all of them will expect to only pay you a token sum, but you can use your portfoilo for others. 1 tip is if you undercharge, please inform the couple you are only doing a favour for them.

Belle&Sebastain said:
you will never gain a business if they know you shoot for free, all of them will expect to only pay you a token sum, but you can use your portfoilo for others. 1 tip is if you undercharge, please inform the couple you are only doing a favour for them.

Well, that is something I worried in the first place, friend ABCD then wants you to shoot in their weddings too, for free, if you say no, then.. anyway, i figure out it is really not way for me to negotiate now since i don't have a porfolio of covering an event. I will talk to my friend, about the cost i will need them to absorb, like the price of film..yes, i am shooting with film, and the price of scanning the film in high-resolution, and if they want me to print it out for them, they pay for everything, and i will keep the negative and got a porfolio..
I haven't talk to them yet..anyway, i try not to worry something like these, because I may not earn $, but i will still gain knowledge and experience, $ may come when others think that i worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.