Wedding Dinner with 450D+17-55 f2.8 + 430EXII?

YqArts

Oct 20, 2008
Hougang
www.flickr.com
Hey fellow clubsnappers,

I have the above set-up and my friend approached me to help out for a wedding dinner shoot.

I am worried that my set-up will be insufficient to deliver the job, any suggestion if I should just go for it or turn it down.

Thanks!

Hey fellow clubsnappers,

I have the above set-up and my friend approached me to help out for a wedding dinner shoot.

I am worried that my set-up will be insufficient to deliver the job, any suggestion if I should just go for it or turn it down.

Thanks!

Scenario 1: No money, but you want to help out.
Up to your comfort level.

Scenario 2: Paid job, and you are keen.
I suggest renting better equipments.

Scenario 3: Paid job, you are in doubt of your equipping but not keen to spend money renting/buying.
Turn it down please.

Scenario 4 is kinda stating the obvious, so I shall not write further.

Last edited:
Hey fellow clubsnappers,

Thanks!
your set up is good enough, but not sure about you.

Usually the qn is whether the photographer is sufficient enough to deliver, not the equipments

Hey fellow clubsnappers,

Thanks!

I say go for it. The experience you gain will be great!

Years ago, wedding photographers only had the option of film. People today would never consider covering a wedding with "just" a film camera. But in those days they made do and they turned out great photos. I have proof with my own wedding photographs!

I've read that today's megapixel equivalent in professional film cameras is 6 megapixels. The Canon 450D has far than 6 mp's! Moreover, the 17-55mm lens is more than capable.

To build up your confidence prior to the day of the shoot I would suggest the following:

1) Practice. A simple way of doing this is to tell your family that you'll be shooting them all day in their natural setting. Tell them to act natural and to pretend that you're not there. After the family practice shoot, review your photos and see where you can improve.

2) Read the thousands of wedding procedures and tips on the internet. Pay particular attention to the photos that are taken and try to incorporate them into your 'arsenal'. Here is a short PDF to get you started: Guide to Wedding Photography.

3) Go to your local book store and buy a book on the do's and don'ts of wedding photography. Here's one from the great Dummies Series: Dummies Guide to Photographing Weddings Using Your Digital SLR.

4) Explore the multitudes of YouTube videos on wedding photography.

5) Go to the web sites of actual wedding photographers and take note of the types of poses they have their clients do.

Interestingly, as I compiled this list I realized that years ago, aspiring film photographers only had options '1' and '3' to help them get up to speed. Now we have so many options through the power of the internet.

Don't lose this great opportunity! I say go for it! Who knows... you may be asked to do a paid assignment before you know it!

Good luck! :)

Your equipment is good enough..are you confident enough? Your friend asked you to "help"..that means he/she has seen your work before..so go gain this good experience..

As said by others, your gear is good enough. Your ability - dunno.

If you do go ahead, please bring backup gear!

think he'll be even more stress out now . :bsmilie:

I say go for it. The experience you gain will be great!

Years ago, wedding photographers only had the option of film. People today would never consider covering a wedding with "just" a film camera. But in those days they made do and they turned out great photos. I have proof with my own wedding photographs!

I've read that today's megapixel equivalent in professional film cameras is 6 megapixels. The Canon 450D has far than 6 mp's! Moreover, the 17-55mm lens is more than capable.

To build up your confidence prior to the day of the shoot I would suggest the following:

1) Practice. A simple way of doing this is to tell your family that you'll be shooting them all day in their natural setting. Tell them to act natural and to pretend that you're not there. After the family practice shoot, review your photos and see where you can improve.

2) Read the thousands of wedding procedures and tips on the internet. Pay particular attention to the photos that are taken and try to incorporate them into your 'arsenal'. Here is a short PDF to get you started: Guide to Wedding Photography.

3) Go to your local book store and buy a book on the do's and don'ts of wedding photography. Here's one from the great Dummies Series: Dummies Guide to Photographing Weddings Using Your Digital SLR.

4) Explore the multitudes of YouTube videos on wedding photography.

5) Go to the web sites of actual wedding photographers and take note of the types of poses they have their clients do.

Interestingly, as I compiled this list I realized that years ago, aspiring film photographers only had options '1' and '3' to help them get up to speed. Now we have so many options through the power of the internet.

Don't lose this great opportunity! I say go for it! Who knows... you may be asked to do a paid assignment before you know it!

Good luck! :)

Bring lots of battery and memory card, machine gun mode, just whack, full time.

Main photographer? Or second/third? If latter, just go for it. Set expectations with your friend first though.

I would turn on autofocus.

Without know what TS able to do, and start give away tons and tons of tips is not very irresponsible.
So far I only see a photo of beetle, so I really don't konw, maybe TS's friend had saw many nice photos from TS. If so, just go ahead and shoot.

Without know what TS able to do, and start give away tons and tons of tips is not very irresponsible.
So far I only see a photo of beetle, so I really don't konw, maybe TS's friend had saw many nice photos from TS. If so, just go ahead and shoot.

not very responsible, you mean? :p

Both me and my friend did a ROM-dinner photography using a very similar setup... We were both equipped with a canon crop bodies, canon 17-55 f2.8, and ex430ii.

The result was reasonably good and accepted by the couple (note that we are not pro, and this was properly communicated with the couple before the day so that we could align our capability and their expectation)

I think your gears are good enough... 17-55 & 430 is more than enough for it............

If you are comfortable with the idea, then you try...... but as bro have mentioned.... set the expectation first......

Better to under promise and over deliver..........

Halfmoon said:
I think your gears are good enough... 17-55 & 430 is more than enough for it............

If you are comfortable with the idea, then you try...... but as bro have mentioned.... set the expectation first......

Better to under promise and over deliver..........

Yeap.. It was kinda helping-a-friend project, but still i scouted the location before the day - and luckily i did because the hall lighting was sooo "exotic".. Some more got mirrors around.. cannot anyhow bounce flash :(

Yeap.. It was kinda helping-a-friend project, but still i scouted the location before the day - and luckily i did because the hall lighting was sooo "exotic".. Some more got mirrors around.. cannot anyhow bounce flash :(

As we are not sure about TS experience.... so not so easy to advice too............

Flash photography is a totally different topic, but if TS have shot indoor with flash, and bounce before, should be ok....