wedddings by joseph

thks for sharing all those pics. it isn't hard to see the mood of e events that u attempt to capture in the wedding pics.
I've nv shoot a wedding before so couldn't really judge.
nevertheless, like to share my views as a novice or client.
- find that u dun play with angles much. most shoots are taken from a straight horizontal(landscape) and vertical(portrait) perspectives.
- few pics are captured with too much details (e.g. gate crashing).
- pics are nice but short of creativity
hope the above points will not ended up providing u e wrong feedback.

hey tenjinspen, really appreciate your honest feedback and it is something that i will reflect upon! in particular i see that basically its my creativity that needs to be improved! :p thanks again.

thks for sharing all those pics. it isn't hard to see the mood of e events that u attempt to capture in the wedding pics.
I've nv shoot a wedding before so couldn't really judge.
nevertheless, like to share my views as a novice or client.
- find that u dun play with angles much. most shoots are taken from a straight horizontal(landscape) and vertical(portrait) perspectives.
- few pics are captured with too much details (e.g. gate crashing).
- pics are nice but short of creativity
hope the above points will not ended up providing u e wrong feedback.

I am were to choose a photog as a consumer, I actually avoid those who 'play with angles'. Very often lotsa of tilting pics is a sign of over zealous amateurs who just bought a camera and think they are being artistic with the tilt. :sweat:

Good wedding photos captures 'moments' 'stories' 'emotions' by making use or manipulating composition, shapes, lighting and colors.

Of course, different people have different tastes and we all choose our own preferred photogs.

jv-1021.jpg

jv-1024.jpg

jv-1037.jpg

jv-1040.jpg

some more from this beautiful wedding... :)

jv-1051.jpg

jv-1052.jpg

jv-1055.jpg

Last edited:
Some more shots. Please, do provide any critique on these. Thanks

takuyaxin_1010.jpg

takuyaxin_1012.jpg

takuyaxin_1015.jpg

takuyaxin_1020.jpg

Some more shots. Please, do provide any critique on these. Thanks

takuyaxin_1010.jpg

takuyaxin_1012.jpg

takuyaxin_1015.jpg

takuyaxin_1020.jpg

I like the last one, a nice mirror image - without the mirror. That's a moment!

two images i thought went really well together. i guess not obvious but it's father of the bride behind

danielsarah-1021.jpg

danielsarah-1022.jpg

Obvious enough to me. This is a stellar shot.

The second image is the stronger one, the first actually weakens the second if you put them together. I would not include the first pic if I can make the choice IMHO.

It is quite obvious for the second pic that the foreground figure is the bride, and the moment (the most precious thing in the picture) is with the father. But it doesn't work this way for the first pic coz its just a pic of a bride pleased with herself or prompted to smile, the father is just senseless bokeh, and something ordinary any hobbyist can snap.

IMHO, you do not need the first pic, it cheapens the 2nd.

Once again, stellar shot, I even think its competition worthy.

i like how you capture the emotions :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I like the last one, a nice mirror image - without the mirror. That's a moment!

Obvious enough to me. This is a stellar shot.

The second image is the stronger one, the first actually weakens the second if you put them together. I would not include the first pic if I can make the choice IMHO.

It is quite obvious for the second pic that the foreground figure is the bride, and the moment (the most precious thing in the picture) is with the father. But it doesn't work this way for the first pic coz its just a pic of a bride pleased with herself or prompted to smile, the father is just senseless bokeh, and something ordinary any hobbyist can snap.

IMHO, you do not need the first pic, it cheapens the 2nd.

Once again, stellar shot, I even think its competition worthy.

sjackal, thank you so much for your kind words. I know what you mean about how there is no need for the first shot, I guess I just wanted the story. not so sure about it being competition worthy though!!!! but thanks :)

i like how you capture the emotions :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

thanks agila :)

few more shots

takuyaxin_1032.jpg

takuyaxin_1039.jpg

takuyaxin_1047.jpg

takuyaxin_1057.jpg

takuyaxin_1069.jpg

takuyaxin_1088.jpg

benaudreyhl_1005.jpg

benaudreyhl_1006.jpg

benaudreyhl_1007.jpg

benaudreyhl_1009.jpg

Hi could u kindly plsss teach me how you take photos of a subject clear and the rest burring the picture, do we need to blur the side vision using photoshop or to need to focus only to the subject thanks very much.

some really nice photos here.. really enjoyed your series, thanks for sharing..

Hi Joseph, I am new to the forum here but I found that a lot of the people here are too generous with their compliments.

No doubt some of the images are good and really captured the moment but there are many more that showed glaring shortcomings but was not mentioned.

For e.g, some of the photos showed the Bride laughing with "mouth wide open" or "squinting eyes" and the Groom having a "nerdy blur" look beside the Bride. This may be known to some as "capture the moment".....but if your job is to capture beautiful images of both the Bride & Groom......then this is a BIG NO.......most female friends of mine when they look at the photo taken with their boyfriend, they will always first have a look at her own, if it is bad looking on them, they will straightaway reject the photo even if their boyfriend looks great beside her........on the other hand, guys are more forgiving and will normally overlook this..............and yes, bystander may not think much of it as well but if you are the Bride&Groom in the photo, maybe you will not want to be seen with a wide open mouth or nerdy look.

If I am you, if the B&G doesn't looks great (due to their own poses......of course if they are not naturally good looking, you can't do much....but you still need to try to look for some angles that make them look good), I will not show these images in the public domain like website or the wedding album, only MAYBE give to the B&G as private safekeeping for memory sake of their wedding and LET THEM decide whether to show it publicly or not....but most of the time, I will just delete it without showing anyone except myself.

In situation like this, when you know that an important moment is coming up and you want to take a shot, always take 3 shots instead of one shot in quick succession so that you can afford to choose the best shot that depicts the best "looks" of the B&R.

And there are also some shots that I think is best to keep both the Bride & Groom in good focus instead of one in "good focus" and the other "out of focus", especially those candid shots, it will be good to see both of them laughing heartily together instead of one being out of focus. No doubt this "good focus" and the other "out of focus" trick have it's high value in photography but certain situation does not call for it and should not be overused, I think you know what I mean.

Hope that I am not being over critical.

Keep taking photos and ALSO keep looking at other good photographer photos and I am sure this will heightened your photography skill to another level.

Hi could u kindly plsss teach me how you take photos of a subject clear and the rest burring the picture, do we need to blur the side vision using photoshop or to need to focus only to the subject thanks very much.

Hey Ashok, actually it's just a means of controlling your aperture whereby the lower the number, the more shallow the depth of field. You can google this... hope it helps!

Sugoi! :thumbsup:

thanks man ;)

some really nice photos here.. really enjoyed your series, thanks for sharing..

thanks darknight!

Hi Raph, thanks for your comments and honest criticism.

I get what you mean about girls definitely being more picky, though could you give me some specific examples on this in terms of my photos? e.g. the squinty eye thing and the nerdy look?

For the record, I ask all my couples for permission to use a set of specific images online, whether it is on facebook, or on website, so rest assured they do not mind and know the images i am showcasing.

the issue about the in focus and out of focus, yeah, i totally agree. sometimes it's hard to control this due to the pace of weddings, and of course light conditions. if you're up close and want both subjects to be in focus, using an aperture of 5.6 or even 7 to achieve that well, is pretty much impossible when you are indoors, but i agree. sometimes DOF is overused when something else is necessary.

overall, i totally agree that i need to improve, i dont think I have ever portrayed that i think i am a "good" photographer and all that.

as mentioned, it would be great, for me personally, if you could highlight some of the glaring shortcomings i have in some of the images?

Hi Joseph, I am new to the forum here but I found that a lot of the people here are too generous with their compliments.

No doubt some of the images are good and really captured the moment but there are many more that showed glaring shortcomings but was not mentioned.

For e.g, some of the photos showed the Bride laughing with "mouth wide open" or "squinting eyes" and the Groom having a "nerdy blur" look beside the Bride. This may be known to some as "capture the moment".....but if your job is to capture beautiful images of both the Bride & Groom......then this is a BIG NO.......most female friends of mine when they look at the photo taken with their boyfriend, they will always first have a look at her own, if it is bad looking on them, they will straightaway reject the photo even if their boyfriend looks great beside her........on the other hand, guys are more forgiving and will normally overlook this..............and yes, bystander may not think much of it as well but if you are the Bride&Groom in the photo, maybe you will not want to be seen with a wide open mouth or nerdy look.

If I am you, if the B&G doesn't looks great (due to their own poses......of course if they are not naturally good looking, you can't do much....but you still need to try to look for some angles that make them look good), I will not show these images in the public domain like website or the wedding album, only MAYBE give to the B&G as private safekeeping for memory sake of their wedding and LET THEM decide whether to show it publicly or not....but most of the time, I will just delete it without showing anyone except myself.

In situation like this, when you know that an important moment is coming up and you want to take a shot, always take 3 shots instead of one shot in quick succession so that you can afford to choose the best shot that depicts the best "looks" of the B&R.

And there are also some shots that I think is best to keep both the Bride & Groom in good focus instead of one in "good focus" and the other "out of focus", especially those candid shots, it will be good to see both of them laughing heartily together instead of one being out of focus. No doubt this "good focus" and the other "out of focus" trick have it's high value in photography but certain situation does not call for it and should not be overused, I think you know what I mean.

Hope that I am not being over critical.

Keep taking photos and ALSO keep looking at other good photographer photos and I am sure this will heightened your photography skill to another level.