Want to buy a camera above PNS standard..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canon S90, G11
Fujifilm s200EXR

Olympus Pen I/II pretty much a good choice.

Come on guys, let's be serious here. We need to recommend something that meets TS's requirements... entry level DSLRs with kit lens obviously don't meet the requirements. I think he's looking for something with good quality ISO 25600, zooms all the way out to 300mm, with f/1.4 aperture, and not much bigger than a PnS camera, so please recommend something close to that...

Will have to ask Harry Potter to conjure 1 up for TS.

So you are saying you don't want DSLR because they are bulky and have to carry multiple lenses. And you want to go for something with one very fast lens with a large zoom (or you probably mean long telephoto). And you're looking at a micro 4/3 system?

something like that.
i am new to dslr and panasonic cam recently caught my attention

I would really like a PnS camera that is only good for Macro and nothing else...... a purely Macro able PnS :thumbsup:

get this!!

small egh, for low light they have lens with f 0.95, full frame somemore
images

I am glad you have already done your homework and have shortlisted some of the cameras. Generally 4/3 and m4/3 cameras like GF1 and Olympus EP-1/2 are good but supposedly a little short on the high ISO (I assume that's what you mean since GH1 is still around the size of D3000 whereas GF1/EP-1 is more comparable with LX3). It's still a lot better than PnS though, and really, unless you're comparing against the higher ended stuffs like Nikon's D3X, the differences are subtle (but noticeable) - you won't be doing high-speed, low-light shooting, although with RAW files, you can choose one or the other. Panasonic's G series are faster in focusing (their CF detect autofocus is comparable with entry level DSLRs) but a little short on colours while Olympus's EP-1 are supposed to be better in colour rendition (but a little short on autofocus abilities). Either way, with a zoom lens, they will be bigger than PnS - only if you wanna do away with zoom and just use the pancakes (and Pana has a very good 20mm f1.7 pancake).

There are other considerations like how you won't need a dry box for your PnS but will most likely need one for anything with interchangeable lens.

This advise is coming to you from a very happy G1 user (more than a year) who never regretted getting his G1 but is now using a D5000 (mostly because of lack of lens support compared to Canikon but it's been growing).

thanks for the advice.

sorry to all, spare me the technical terms as i've never explored with dslr before.
hope to cap my budget at about 1K if possible.

looking at Panasonic GH1, CF1 as they are not too bulky.
i think even with lens, i will just need a default wide angle lens if possible, and a zoom lens for those far shooting.
whether in future if require more zoom or fancy lens, i do not know.

my purpose is to take nice quality photos, fast to focus and fire away. i quick start up is ideal too.

maybe i should work from my budget and go alan photo or parisilk to check out what i can buy with my budget.

yesterday try a Canon G11, quite compact but pretty solid weight.
is this a good camera to suit my needs?

yesterday try a Canon G11, quite compact but pretty solid weight.
is this a good camera to suit my needs?

No, it can't do high speed shooting in low light

Status
Not open for further replies.