Wad lens shud i get???dilemma for the beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentient

Jun 2, 2008
www.photoblog.com
Hey all:D,

i'm quite new to photography, recently purchasing the canon 450D with the 18-55mm kit lens, after using it for a while, i thought i'd like to expand my range of photography, particularly fascinated with closeups, such as macro..however, as the usual case with the average hobbyist photographer, budget is the issue and i'm gonna resort to getting a second hand as a good friend of mine has been doing so and he's been in the hobby for a few years now..anyway, been looking around quite a lot recently n think i'm 'narrowing' my choices down to either a macro or a compact travel around zoom lens..i'm more for the macro but my brother who uses a 400D is trying to convince me that since i only have the finances to get one, to buy a zoom lens FIRST as it has a 'wider range of uses'..and in a way i see his point as during family holidays or just traveliing around i guess u cud find more subjects and more interesting takes on things with a zoom lens as compared with a prime macro lens..but i still have a deep fascination with macro photography..he recently purchased the Tamron 17-40mm f2.8 XR Di II and the Canon EF85mm f1.8mm USM..personally im looking at the Canon EF100mm f2.8 Macro USM and the Tamron SP AF90MM F/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 for macro and as for zoom lenses i'm looking also at the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Tamron AF 28-200MM F/3.8-5.6 XR Aspherical (IF) Macro and the Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS..My budget is below $500 and as such my choices are quite few and far between..its even quite a stretch for the canon ef100mm macro which is currently at the top of my wishlist but a gud 100 odd out of reach..so yea,would love to hear all of ur experienced opinions of this lil bout im in n recommend me wad u guys think wud be most practical in terms of furthering my photographic learning as well as not blowing the bank..:confused:

You have S$500 now or only want to spend S$500? They're pretty different you know.

You already have a zoom lens, the 18-55IS which is great. If you want telephoto, get the 55-250mm IS for S$360, or you can save up and get the Tamron 90mm Macro or Canon 100mm Macro. They're both as good.

None :) when you have fiddle long nuff with your kit, you will not be asking this question. That's my thought, but, if you really want a recommendation for macro, and with limited budget, go for the Tammy 90mm. You will most likely need a flash system for serious macro, so please do factor tad in. Cheers~

Save up and get the Canon 100mm Macro. Sharp lens!

For $500 you can get...:think:
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 2nd hand for general & protrait.
or Tamron AE 90mm F/2.8 2nd hand for macro.
or Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS 1st hand for tele shot.

Hope this help...;)

If I am you, or given a chance to buy everything all over again.....I will save up to get the lens that I want for long term....not something to make me happy for the short term. I have wasted tons of money and regreted very much.

Eg. I know eventually I will be getting the 16-35 F2.8L II, but in between I went to get the 17-85, 17-40, 20-35 F2.8L and eventually 16-35 F2.8L II....wasted at least $1K in total.

Make use of your 18-55 first....after about a year, you will then know pretty well what kind of photography you love, then spend on the "ultimate" lens that suits your shooting style.

If I am you, or given a chance to buy everything all over again.....I will save up to get the lens that I want for long term....not something to make me happy for the short term. I have wasted tons of money and regreted very much.

Eg. I know eventually I will be getting the 16-35 F2.8L II, but in between I went to get the 17-85, 17-40, 20-35 F2.8L and eventually 16-35 F2.8L II....wasted at least $1K in total.

Make use of your 18-55 first....after about a year, you will then know pretty well what kind of photography you love, then spend on the "ultimate" lens that suits your shooting style.

Yes I agree on the last point. Ultimately you might be dreaming / drooling over the f/4L trinity (17-40, 24-105, 70-200) or f/2.8L trinity (16-35, 24-70, 70-200), so if that's where you're going, save up!

Macro? Get the Canon 100mm Macro Lens or 180mm Macro L Lens!
Never regret getting the Canon 100mm~

Status
Not open for further replies.