Using of old lenses

just bring to a proper camera shop and ask them clean or service for you, if you think there might be a bit of fungus hiding somewhere. doubt it will be expensive, and overall it may be worth it. must be a little extra careful with old lenses..

Silica Gel doesn't last 10 years.

Silica Gel absorbs water, and store room is usually very humid. After the gel has absorbed the max, it is actually a water source, i.e. more humid. If you never replace the gel, it cant absorb anymore water. I think likely you will see spiderweb patterns (fungus) and may have to pay a lot of $$ to get them cleaned. Likely that the coating will also be damaged, so not very economical.

nope, the chips will only give u AF confirmation. not AF function.

oh so just the AF confirmation....haha got it thanks ;):sweat:

just bring to a proper camera shop and ask them clean or service for you, if you think there might be a bit of fungus hiding somewhere. doubt it will be expensive, and overall it may be worth it. must be a little extra careful with old lenses..

Is there any camera shops to recommend their cleaning services?

Silica Gel doesn't last 10 years.

Silica Gel absorbs water, and store room is usually very humid. After the gel has absorbed the max, it is actually a water source, i.e. more humid. If you never replace the gel, it cant absorb anymore water. I think likely you will see spiderweb patterns (fungus) and may have to pay a lot of $$ to get them cleaned. Likely that the coating will also be damaged, so not very economical.

:bheart: but overall like the reply from manveer, will it be worth it?

Some fungi produce acids, and other stuff that will attack the coatings on the lens surface. They might even leave protein residue on the lens (Correct this if I am wrong). In extreme cases this can penetrate quite deeply into the coating (Worst case is inbetween the lens and coating). No amount of cleaning will fix the problem.

You might have to remove the coating and replace it with a new one which I believe in older lens case is quite impossible. And even if it can be done, it doesn't come cheap.

lucky you, you found such a lens! might turn out to be one of those really good ones! just to be sure try sending it for servicing.. and it will be as good as new after that!