USA travel tips and discussion

Thanks bro
My route in mid November:

Vegas - 3 nights for meeting (other half shops)
+ Flyover Grand Canyon
Day 4:
Road trip
Hoover Dam
Valley of the Fire State Park & Red Rock Canyon National Park

End up in Death Valley (place to stay?)

Day 5:
Barstow one night + shopping

Day 6-7:
Yosemite

Might spring for Ahwanee hotel for one night :)
2nd night in El Portal ?

Day 8-9

SF sights + food - tips on food + hotel?

Stay Wharf area / Union Sq?

Day 10:
Fly home

How's that?

Gilroy outlets is much bigger and better than barstow now. Consider shopping in gilroy instead.

Btw you did not plan to stop in monterey bay and santa cruz? look up big sur, 17 mile drive and carmel.

One thing about SF, there is so much to do there. If you like relax street cafes and quaint shops, check out chestnut ave. Head down to castro district also, capitol of gay movement in the bay. Cafes shops and food there is also awesome.

you should also visit lombard street, the famous curvy road. Then on to Coit tower for the view of the bay with alcatraz. You can also buy tickets to the alcatraz tour at fishermans wharf....

For classic view of golden gate, cross the bridge and head up the mountain to the battery point. Or you can go down to Marshal beach to capture the sunrise with the bridge. Or you can visit Fort Point which is under the bridge on sf side.

For classic bay bridge view, go to treasure island. take the bay bridge and exit yerba buena. Drive down to the parking lot along hillcrest road at the waterfront for the view of the bay bridge leading into sf downtown. best timing there is sunset.

If you have time also try to visit the Palace of fine arts. You can see beautiful columns and a pond and park there. Very beautiful.

Also try to visit Grace cathedral in SF. it is designed to be very similar to notre dame with some specific differences. The stained glass art and wall frescos in there are absolutely amazing, all done in Renaissance style. There is also a copy of Ghiberti's famous florence doors at the front facade of the church. And the church comes with a labyrinth too. A very very beautiful old church.

Also visit the conservatory in the presidio.

Last edited:
LOL jeff your use of singlish still needs work.

Meant to say "can't afford to lose" seeing Big Sur...must revisit that one bro's thread where he explained a term like that to me.

Do they have a Rosetta Stone Edition? hahahehe I've been looking around town for a Singlish Dictionary hard copy...haven't ran into the city yet...and I guess there is always Amazon. So many things for me to absorb. :)

Last edited:
Thanks bros
Been to Big Sur - it's nice, but I don't think I can squeeze it in... I prefer to do less "Chan Bros Refugee" style, and chill more...
So even for those two days in SF, I will see some sights, then sit back, drink some kopi and people watch... :)

Gilroy is an option...

So when I leave Death Valley, I will need to drive further...

Besides, the main shopping will be in Vegas, apparently that mall is even better, so that covers it... and the tax is lower in NV than CA..

But yes, those little food and chill tips are very nice...

Keep them coming bros :)

Steve did most of the driving himself....
Looks like the scene was filmed in Marin County?

I'm not sure bro...the talk of SanFran evoked that movie in my head! If I were 20 years younger it would probably be F&F instead! lol :)

And gasoline prices are also lower in NV than CA.

Fuel is significantly cheaper in all of the states right now but you are indeed correct. One of the big problems NV and even more so Cali is having nowadays is water. This extended drought is hurting them. Cali is under rationing I believe and authorities are now using there hammers (severe fine) to police water usage. This is chatter that I gather from reading the newspapers around here not first hand knowledge. Either way there is maybe a possibility that one could run into smoke filled skies from forest fires or mudslides from a deluge as the conditions in Cali are prime for either event. I pray for you though.

Last edited:
I prefer to do less "Chan Bros Refugee" style :)
I encourage you guys to visit the midwest around my area sometime if you are able. Not a whole lot to do like in Gothman but you can discover many wonderful things here. Seems like many here have a huge problem with African Americans and Hispanics but when it comes to Asians and Indians it is like they get a pass or something. :dunno: It is weird. Comport yourself well and speak English and it's almost like "it's okay they are one of us" deal. Just my observation.

I'm hesitant to talk so much about myself but when I was a kid I'd get mad if I missed an episode of this... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068037/reviews When you said Chan Bros Refugee you reminded me of that! haha :D

Last edited:
Meant to say "can't afford to lose" seeing Big Sur...must revisit that one bro's thread where he explained a term like that to me.

Do they have a Rosetta Stone Edition? hahahehe I've been looking around town for a Singlish Dictionary hard copy...haven't ran into the city yet...and I guess there is always Amazon. So many things for me to absorb. :)

Here you go, Jeff. No need to spend money, we Singaporeans are famously stingy when free alternatives are available.
http://www.talkingcock.com/html/lexec.php?op=LexPKL&lexicon=lexicon

Reactions: Nikonzen
Hey guys, I'm going to cali for 11 days. I'm planning LA 3-4 days then to SF 2 days, then the remaining for Yosemite and Death Valley. But I need to fly back from LAX. Does anyone know of transport from SF to Yosemite and Death Valley and back to LAX?

Has anyone been to OKC, what's interesting there. Thanks in advance :)

Hey guys, I'm going to cali for 11 days. I'm planning LA 3-4 days then to SF 2 days, then the remaining for Yosemite and Death Valley. But I need to fly back from LAX. Does anyone know of transport from SF to Yosemite and Death Valley and back to LAX?

You are probably going to have to rent a car if you want to visit Yosemite and Death Valley. Public transportation options from the National Park Service.

Public transportation to Yosemite: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/publictransportation.htm

No public transportation to Death Valley: http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/directions.htm

Are you totally dead set on going to SF --> Yosemite --> Death Valley --> LA? Death Valley is the largest national park in the lower 48 states. There is a lot to see and do there. You are going to be spending a lot of time going from point to point and you will probably be rushed.

Your route is similar to mine but you are giving yourself much less time, and you won't find public transport. You can rent a car, or join a tour in USA. Many companies there will do the "Refugee Style" trips that you are looking for :)

You mean OKC as in the capitol of Oklahoma? If so there are a few very fine things... :)

Last edited:
One thing about SF, there is so much to do there. If you like relax street cafes and quaint shops, check out chestnut ave. Head down to castro district also, capitol of gay movement in the bay. Cafes shops and food there is also awesome.

you should also visit lombard street, the famous curvy road. Then on to Coit tower for the view of the bay with alcatraz. You can also buy tickets to the alcatraz tour at fishermans wharf....

For classic view of golden gate, cross the bridge and head up the mountain to the battery point. Or you can go down to Marshal beach to capture the sunrise with the bridge. Or you can visit Fort Point which is under the bridge on sf side.

For classic bay bridge view, go to treasure island. take the bay bridge and exit yerba buena. Drive down to the parking lot along hillcrest road at the waterfront for the view of the bay bridge leading into sf downtown. best timing there is sunset.

If you have time also try to visit the Palace of fine arts. You can see beautiful columns and a pond and park there. Very beautiful.

Also try to visit Grace cathedral in SF. it is designed to be very similar to notre dame with some specific differences. The stained glass art and wall frescos in there are absolutely amazing, all done in Renaissance style. There is also a copy of Ghiberti's famous florence doors at the front facade of the church. And the church comes with a labyrinth too. A very very beautiful old church.

Also visit the conservatory in the presidio.

Great info!
Seems like you are familiar with SF
Any interest to venture to San Jose?
I am planning to visit Stanford University.

Which part of the city I need to be extra careful? I am not driving in SF.
Thanks!

Great info!
Seems like you are familiar with SF
Any interest to venture to San Jose?
I am planning to visit Stanford University.

Which part of the city I need to be extra careful? I am not driving in SF.
Thanks!

Lived 12 years in San Jose but now based in China. Worked for 2 years in SF and explored a lot. Still lots of places i do not know in SF. but also lots i have yet to list. No plans to visit in the near future though.

After dark it is usually prudent to avoid anywhere south of Market street. Market street also get swarmed with many homeless, drunks and junkies later at night. south SF is also best avoided especially if you are not driving. Other high crime areas are High street area in Oakland and East Palo Alto. Downtown San Jose is also not as safe at night especially beyond 3rd street.

If you are going on an intensive visit of the city, I strongly recommend renting a car to get around.

Btw, i left the bay area end of 2004. Some of the info may be outdated, but sf does not change that much, unlike shanghai or china.

Btw, let me know if u need ideas for south bay. I am very familiar with san jose, and the surrounding areas as well.

Last edited:
Lived 12 years in San Jose but now based in China. Worked for 2 years in SF and explored a lot. Still lots of places i do not know in SF. but also lots i have yet to list. No plans to visit in the near future though.

After dark it is usually prudent to avoid anywhere south of Market street. Market street also get swarmed with many homeless, drunks and junkies later at night. south SF is also best avoided especially if you are not driving.

Avoid South of Market street in SF you mean?
How about twin peaks at night?

Other high crime areas are High street area in Oakland and East Palo Alto. Downtown San Jose is also not as safe at night especially beyond 3rd street.

Thanks!
I am a street / architecture observing person. I like to wander on street to observe life / living.
Is there anything interesting in San Jose, compared to SF?
I have 6 D 5 N in SF free and easy, thought to visit San Jose if it is interesting

If you are going on an intensive visit of the city, I strongly recommend renting a car to get around.

Btw, i left the bay area end of 2004. Some of the info may be outdated, but sf does not change that much, unlike shanghai or china.

Btw, let me know if u need ideas for south bay. I am very familiar with san jose, and the surrounding areas as well.

Too bad I cannot drive. :( :sweat:
Thanks for the tips!

Avoid South of Market street in SF you mean?
How about twin peaks at night?

Yes, south of sf starting from market street gets very unsafe especially for walking at night. If you drive it is still ok. But seriously there is not much there.

Twin peaks is ok at night. Usually you will see many people there. But to get there at night you probably need a ride.

Thanks!
I am a street / architecture observing person. I like to wander on street to observe life / living.
Is there anything interesting in San Jose, compared to SF?
I have 6 D 5 N in SF free and easy, thought to visit San Jose if it is interesting

San Jose is a different kind of city from SF. san jose is a lot more spread out and suburban. downtown is very small and uninteresting. San jose and santa clara county is mostly dotted with tech firms and surburban homes. What is interesting is santa cruz 30mins and monterey 1hr south of san jose.

If you have friends in sf or san jose, it will be best to hitch a ride wherever you are going. Cabs are.hard to come by, you pretty much have to call in advance and they are hella expensive. Sf you have more options with public transport. San jose public transport is a lot more inconvenient.

To people watch, check out union street (not union square), and chestnut ave. Outdoor cafes, and quaint shops.

Last edited: