Upper Bukit Timah Blackout...

Status
Not open for further replies.
phpY4Eord.jpg

Posted: 14 April 2004 0023 hrs

Blackout hits many areas in Singapore

SINGAPORE : A blackout has hit many parts of Singapore, including Bukit Timah, Marsiling, Choa Chu Kang and Jurong.

Callers to the Channel NewsAsia hotline said the power failure happened at around 11.45pm on Tuesday.

Power was being restored progressively. - CNA

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/80010/1/.html

sehsuan said:
never remembered the existence of it. where is it, btw?

rayfoo, great sense of humor there! ;)

btw, junyang managed to get the constellation of Ara in his photo. :thumbsup:

lol...thanks? :think: :bsmilie:
constellation of Ara?

Linkster: well...if you think really hard abt it you'll see the picture :think:

Dunno what happened to Singapore Power....the last blackout that hit Bt Timah/Hillview area was about 2 months back. Now this happening all over again!

While you guys are soundly sleeping at home, I am back in the office now trying to power up all my servers :cry: :cry:

when the power black out happened, i heard small explosion. I live in Teck Whye and quite near to the sub-power station.

I pity those people who were trapped in the lift when they were on the way to their house.

raychan said:
Dunno what happened to Singapore Power....the last blackout that hit Bt Timah/Hillview area was about 2 months back. Now this happening all over again!

While you guys are soundly sleeping at home, I am back in the office now trying to power up all my servers :cry: :cry:

eh? no UPS?

kelster said:
donno how long the blackout occured :dunno: ...but think even have UPS... only will last for a limited time period...unless of course have their own on-site backup generators...

for servers, they have server UPSes that can keep the server running for a few hrs even, depending on config/$$$ spent :D

I think it's all a government conspiracy... :devil:

darker environment is conducive to productivity... 1 + 1 = 3
30 mins blackout is more than enough time... ;)

phpjTKf1C.jpg

Posted: 14 April 2004 0649 hrs

Central, northern, western Singapore blacked out for an hour
By Yvonne Cheong/Derek Cher, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE: It was lights out at many parts of Singapore late Tuesday night when the central, northern and western parts of the island were hit by a major power blackout.

So far, no one knows what caused the power breakdown from 11.30pm to 12.30am.

Police received over 300 calls but no major incident was reported.

Officers were deployed at the affected areas.

Parts of Bukit Timah Road, including Maplewoods Condominium, were shrouded in pitch black darkness.

Some residents there struggled to find their way to the security house to ask what had happened.

"Outside our apartment, there was one light, so it is not that bad. But in the apartment, it was total darkness, so it was very very bad!" said one resident.

"I was kind of freaking out because I have a small baby at home," said another.

Other areas affected by the blackout included Choa Chu Kang, Woodlands, Clementi, Jalan Bahar, Jurong West, Bukit Batok and Marsiling.

Traffic lights and street lamps were also down, and some roads were lit only by the headlights of passing cars.

But power was being restored progressively.

At about 12:30am, the lights at HDB blocks along Choa Chu Kang Road were restored.

It was the same story for the other areas, with full power restored 30 minutes after midnight.

Investigations on the power blackout are underway, according to SP PowerGrid. - CNA

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/80042/1/.html

Residents swamp hotlines; power back within an hour

By Sue-Ann Chia

A WIDE area of Singapore, mainly in the north and west of the island, was hit by a sudden blackout late last night.

From just after 11.30pm, The Straits Times was flooded with calls from residents in Bukit Timah, Choa Chu Kang, Marsiling, Bukit Batok and Adam Road saying they were affected.

Students at the Nanyang Technological University hostels said that they were also hit by the power failure.

It was past 1am when a Power Supply spokesman confirmed that the lights started going out in areas such as Choa Chu Kang, Bukit Timah, Bukit Panjang and Jalan Bahar from around 11.30pm and that power was restored within an hour.

At press time, the cause of the blackout was not yet known, and was still being investigated.

Several callers to the newsroom complained that they could not get information from official sources, with calls to the 24-hour Power Supply hotline going unanswered.

One caller, who identified herself as a Ms Cheng living in the Bukit Timah area, said: 'The blackout happened while I was reading the newspapers. I tried calling Power Supply, but I couldn't get through.'

Another caller said she tried calling the hotline 'more than 30 times' with no success. 'What's the point of calling it a hotline when you can't get through? It's unhelpful,' she said.

The Power Supply spokesman said the hotline was manned, but it had simply been overwhelmed by the huge number of calls.

People also called the police and the Singapore Civil Defence Force, both of which said they received 'hundreds' of calls from concerned residents.

Early this morning the police were working with Power Supply officials to establish the cause. A police spokesman said that officers were put on the streets, but no major incidents occurred in the hour or so that the lights were out.

Many callers to The Straits Times said they were caught off guard.

Madam Lim Sai Gern, 82, who lives in semi-detached house off Farrer Road, said the lights went out at 11.45pm, and came on briefly around midnight.

'I thought our fuses had blown, but when I went to switch the lights back on, nothing happened,' she said.

'I was so afraid I'd fall down the stairs, so I grabbed a couple of candles and a torchlight.'

Bukit Batok resident Jason Low, 32, said: 'We were watching TV when everything went out.'

It took him a few minutes before he realised his entire block and the surrounding areas were affected as well.

Most people took the blackout in stride - once they managed to get a few candles going.

Some even managed to engage in a bit of revelry.

Zhou Junlin, 22, second-year undergraduate who lives in Bukit Batok, was doing his homework when the lights went out.

When he stuck his head out of his window, he noticed that people at the coffee shop below 'seemed quite happy'.

Over at the Nanyang Technological University, which was partly hit, undergrad Koh Yihui, 23, said the blackout 'was a bit of a novelty because it never happened to me before'.

Elsewhere, people who could not rustle up enough candle power resorted to ingenious means to throw a little light on the situation.

A Namly Avenue resident said: 'Some of our neighbours switched on their cars' headlights to shine at their living room.' Additional reporting by Azrin Asmani, Lynn Lee and Leslie Koh

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,245615,00.html?

My area was affected. I wasn't too worried until I looked out of the window and stared down the block opposite mine. It was pitch dark...and I let my imagination ran wild...I imagined there had been an explosion and the power supply was cut off and the block was burnt gray....
What if it were a real-life crisis...like a terrorist attack? I was caught off-guard. We all were. And that was not good.

Well just now, someone was mentioning that hopefully that no one will be stuck in a lift.

Well no fears, (only for HDB flats lifts, condo i dun noe), town councils change the backup batteries for the lift regularly. The backup batteries serve as the UPS for the lift loh, so no one will get stuck.

Hope you dun try to take a lift during a blackout though to test out the "mAH" of batteries. Hey come to think of it, maybe they are using Sanyo rechargeables, how many "AA" do you think a lift needs?

RuthBaby said:
oh yeah
Woodlands, CCK, Bt Batok, Marsiling, Jurong and Bt Timah all blackout.. wah liew... luckily the torch light beside me... and having my mini fan to blow too... kwel.. did u guys take pics of star trill?
lolz!

anyway.. its back to norm again...

they forgot to mention Teck Whye too...
:cry:

Latest News | Updated April 14, 12.20 pm (Singapore time)

Power Supply still investigating blackout

SINGAPORE - Energy provider Power Supply says that it is continuing investigations into the blackout that hit a wide swath of Singapore late on Tuesday and the cause was not yet known.

The power outage, which mainly affected northern and western areas of the island such as Bukit Timah, Choa Chu Kang, Marsiling, Bukit Batok and Adam Road, started from about 11.30pm.

It was past 1am before a Power Supply spokesman confirmed that a blackout had occured.

Several callers to The Straits Times' newsroom complained that they could not get information from official sources, with calls to the 24-hour Power Supply hotline going unanswered.

A Power Supply spokesman said the hotline was manned, but it had simply been overwhelmed by the huge number of calls.

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,4390,245724,00.html?

i was in my room when it happened.... whole room went dark, air con boh liao, and I saw the whole condo infront of me became dark too...

at first i thought i 'on' the air con too high, thats why got power trip... :bsmilie:

Substation failure triggered automatic shutdown; PowerGrid hotline could not cope with 2,717 calls from residents

By Sharmilpal Kaur

A SHORT-CIRCUIT in a cable at a substation blacked out about 80,000 households and businesses for about an hour late on Tuesday night.

p3a.jpg

Plunged into darkness, Sherwood Towers at Bukit Timah had its electricity restored at 12.25am yesterday. -- JOYCE FANG

Because it happened so late, at around 11.30pm, it caused more discomfort and alarm than disruption to normal life.

People were also upset when they could not reach SP PowerGrid's hotline. More than 2,700 people called, but only one in 24 actually got through. The rest heard a voice message.

Yesterday, PowerGrid's general manager (Network Management), Mr Chang Swee Tong, told reporters the trouble started at about 11.30pm, when a small part of the insulation around a power cable failed.

It happened at Choa Chu Kang substation, one of Singapore's oldest.

This 50m cable can carry 66 kV of electricity, enough to power up half of a medium-sized housing estate.

When the cable short-circuited, electricity coursed into the earth, and in under 0.1 second, triggered the safety protection systems at the substation.

This immediately shut down all operations, causing blackouts in Choa Chu Kang, Bukit Timah, Bukit Panjang, Jalan Bahar and some parts of Woodlands.

Said Mr Chang: 'The whole system automatically shuts down because it can be dangerous. We have to find the fault first.'

Ten engineers isolated the cable and re-routed the electricity through the remaining cables. Power was restored gradually between 12.15am and 12.30am, he said.

Not soon enough for fish breeder Ho Kian Huat, 45, who lost thousands of dollars because about 100 of his fish died when the blackout shut down his oxygen pumps.

PowerGrid's 24-hour hotline received 2,717 calls between 11.30pm and 1am, but the two people handling the telephones managed to answer only 113 calls.

Other callers heard a voice message saying the problem was being looked into.

Mr Chang told The Straits Times: 'We would like to seek our customers' understanding. We apologise for not being able to explain to them personally. Normally we only get one or two calls a night, or even none.'

Blackouts are so rare, he said, that the company could not commit more manpower to handling the hotlines.

Singapore's last major blackout happened on Aug 5, 2002, when a computer glitch caused seven power plants to trip, resulting in a 90-minute power failure during the day in Bedok, Tampines, Pasir Ris and Kaki Bukit in the east, and Mandai, Pandan and Tuas in the west.

PowerGrid could not say how many buildings were affected on Tuesday night.

Such outages are rare, said Mr Chang, and to keep it that way, the 9,000 substations and 22,000km length of underground cables are checked regularly.

He said that the cables at the 30-year-old Choa Chu Kang substation were last checked on March 8 and were found to be in good condition.

A full investigation is under way.

The Energy Market Authority said it was too soon to tell what action it would take. The watchdog may fine a company up to $1 million, or 10 per cent of its revenue, if it is found to be negligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.