Upgrading from 50/1.8 to 35/1.8 - good idea or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks! just went to dpreview, confirm without! think this is a disadvantage for all G lens, too bad:(

Just want to point out that the G designation for Nikon means no aperture ring -- ie cannot use on old film cameras. Many G lenses have distance scale, eg the new AFS 50mm or 17-55mm. It seems Nikon decided to do away with the distance scale for some of its lower-end lenses such as the 18-xx kit lenses.

dont forget that the 35mm and 50mm have different perspectives.. even a 35mm that is 50mm equivalent on DX.
many people forget that that 35mm is not exactly suited for portraiture, the perspective is just not as natural or flattering.

Just want to point out that the G designation for Nikon means no aperture ring -- ie cannot use on old film cameras. Many G lenses have distance scale, eg the new AFS 50mm or 17-55mm. It seems Nikon decided to do away with the distance scale for some of its lower-end lenses such as the 18-xx kit lenses.

but even AFS 17-35G/14-24/24-70 all come without distance scale, only a window shows distance(like kit lens 17-70), so hyper focusing is not possible, and all G lens can be used on AF comera as normal, but not hyper focusing, which is important to play on DOV

Last edited:
I think the Nikon 35mm len is good buy if u are not upgrading to a full frame body any time soon. If u need a better low light performance, you may want to get the good old 50mm F1.4D (around S$4++), except it cannot auto focus on certain body.

I don't think I'll be upgrading to a full-frame anytime soon, probably to mid-range (D90, D2/300). In terms of low light performance, the 50/1.8 does fine for me, it's more the auto-focus that bugs me, so the 50/1.4 won't do much for me either :(

50mm 1.8 is a great lens. Sigma 30mm F1.4 might be considered an upgrade ;)
That one is a keeper... But to be honest, upgrade the body... I would trade a D60 for a D80. But thats just me :)

Get the sigma 30mm f1.4.. test the copy and make sure you get a sharp copy. D60 is still a great DSLR..

Ah yes, the Sigma 30/1.4... very tempting, but also have to top up a few hundred bucks :p I've considered upgrading the body sometime in the future, but not sure when yet. Depends on budget, really. I might keep the D60 though. It's smaller/lighter than most DSLRs, and quite handy when I just want to grab some quick shots but am already carrying a lot of other non-camera stuff.

if u r holding D60 sure i will perfer u upgrade from 50mm to 35mm f/1.8G cause it lens have SWM.
easily used, for example such as moving item.. so u can using manual focus no time to catch, after u catch the thing is pass.
for 35mm 1.8G is that's advantage.
many thing u can capture. the auto focus is moving fast.
same like sunset timing, if u only using manual focus the sunset is moving fast, so u cannot shoots as many photo..
just 2 or 3 pics u can taken.
that's my experience.

Yup, agree. This is the experience I've had with the 50/1.8 on the D60. Unless my manual focusing skill can hone until near perfection, I'll have to use it only for maybe studio type shots that don't require much fast change of focus while shooting.

i love both the 50 and the 35mm. mine is the old f2 one.

i would say as much as i love the 50mm it's not the easiest to use at that focal length on the dx.
i prefer the 35mm all the time.

Yup, one other factor pushing me to the 35mm is the wider field of view. The 50 is great for portraiture but for anything else, I keep having to step back just to get more in the picture. -_-

Thanks for all the feedback bros, really appreciate hearing others' opinions. :)

but even AFS 17-35G/14-24/24-70 all come without distance scale, only a window shows distance(like kit lens 17-70), so hyper focusing is not possible, and all G lens can be used on AF comera as normal, but not hyper focusing, which is important to play on DOV

Yes you are right. Got mixed up with the distance scale.

hi, i just got a afs 35mm f/1.8 in replace of the of the af 50mm f/1.8. I feel that 50mm seems to be sharper than 35mm?

hi, i just got a afs 35mm f/1.8 in replace of the of the af 50mm f/1.8. I feel that 50mm seems to be sharper than 35mm?
afs 35mm f/1.8 is sharper at f2.8 and below. But af 50mm f/1.8 is sharper at f5.6 and above. I have both and am prefering afs 35mm f1.8 for now on my D90 for it's sharpness and bokeh.

See below for comparisons on Blur Index charts:
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1243/cat/12
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/97/cat/12

Last edited:

hi, i tried it lens before from 50mm 1.8D and 50mm 1.4D,

definitely is 50mm 1.4D is sharper price also sharper!

hehe.

but i like the color for 35mm 1.8G DX more nicely to compare as 50mm 1.8D

better investment lens for 35mm 1.8G :bsmilie:

afs 35mm f/1.8 is sharper at f2.8 and below. But af 50mm f/1.8 is sharper at f5.6 and above. I have both and am prefering afs 35mm f1.8 for now on my D90 for it's sharpness and bokeh.

See below for comparisons on Blur Index charts:
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1243/cat/12
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/97/cat/12

hi, i tried it lens before from 50mm 1.8D and 50mm 1.4D,

definitely is 50mm 1.4D is sharper price also sharper!

hehe.

but i like the color for 35mm 1.8G DX more nicely to compare as 50mm 1.8D

better investment lens for 35mm 1.8G :bsmilie:

thanks for the replies.. i suppose it's user problem (at the moment). Didn't really test much last night. Just wondering, is there possibility to get problem lens from Nikon?

thanks for the replies.. i suppose it's user problem (at the moment). Didn't really test much last night. Just wondering, is there possibility to get problem lens from Nikon?

There will be lemons from time to time. But do try to test with tripod and cable release for maximum accuracy in checking.

thanks, at least i think i would compare the results with my kit lens first by using the same settings!

hi,

i just got this simple for 50mm 1.4 AFD VS 35mm 1.8G AFS DX photo.

just find out for the comparison, colours and details.

1-50mm14DVS35mm18G-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.