Unofficial Feb Macro Outing

i've corresponded with a few bros on the issue of macro lenses and equipment needed for a macro shoot.

Just to clarify, we're shooting for fun :bsmilie: we're not aiming to get published in next month's Nat Geo. so its really ok if you have no dedicated macro lens.

An F.O.C option you can consider is the DAL 18-55 kit lens. it is capable of max magnification of 0.34x at 25cm, which is pretty close and pretty good for a non-macro lens (older macro lenses can only achieve 0.5x magnification). u can easily photograph dragonflies and other larger subjects with the kit lens and achieve very good results by cropping.

if u really feel like spending money, you can consider a set of raynox 150 / 250. they're not too expensive and there's a ready resale market if you want to sell it off in future. its cheaper than buying a macro lens.

So feel free to join in :)

Things to Bring for the Outing:
- Dress comfortably. Long sleeves helps if u're afraid of mosquitoes. Wear covered shoes.
- Mosquito repellent
- Camera
- 18-55 kit lens or macro lens
- Flash + Diffuser + spare batteries

a simple DIY diffuser can be made using a paper plate - just cut a hole close to the edge, and put your lens through it ;)

Optional:
- Tripod / Monopod
- Teleconverters are great for magnification

My suggestion to make such outings even more useful is to provide "educational" briefing before it. Those with the experience (which I am sure are many) can share their challenges and "aha". What lenses were use or accessories (Raynox or whatever); flash and also the DIY gadget. I remember Peter Pan showing his polystyrene dish with his flash and his sharing of his blog... My experience hasn't been great, likely because I was too lazy with the tripod which is a must in macro, and also the play with DOF of > f16 to over "overbokehing" to being blur. Use of flash is another one. Some of you have the ring LED and flash. Not sure about the results which I am sure can share.

Certainly mosquitoes protection is important. Likely few of you would have experienced "Malaysian Mosquitoes" which come like a platoon; the moment they smell blood, and likely Singaporean blood is sweeter with all the good food, and after a big Mac, even better, haha.... My 2-penny worth of suggestion

My suggestion to make such outings even more useful is to provide "educational" briefing before it. Those with the experience (which I am sure are many) can share their challenges and "aha". What lenses were use or accessories (Raynox or whatever); flash and also the DIY gadget. I remember Peter Pan showing his polystyrene dish with his flash and his sharing of his blog... My experience hasn't been great, likely because I was too lazy with the tripod which is a must in macro, and also the play with DOF of > f16 to over "overbokehing" to being blur. Use of flash is another one. Some of you have the ring LED and flash. Not sure about the results which I am sure can share.

Certainly mosquitoes protection is important. Likely few of you would have experienced "Malaysian Mosquitoes" which come like a platoon; the moment they smell blood, and likely Singaporean blood is sweeter with all the good food, and after a big Mac, even better, haha.... My 2-penny worth of suggestion

ok, noted. so are you coming or not? :bsmilie:

Van Goh ,

Certainly mosquitoes protection is important. Likely few of you would have experienced "Malaysian Mosquitoes" which come like a platoon; the moment they smell blood, and likely Singaporean blood is sweeter with all the good food, and after a big Mac, even better, haha.... My 2-penny worth of suggestion[/QUOTE]

This is the malaysian mosquito, uncrop, unprocessed, original and imagine how huge it will be. If you have been taking good food especially, all the cholesterol and fats, ha ha..... it smells miles away.. lol.:bsmilie:

2 to 4 feb 11 k5 panagor 111 by luctomar, on Flickr

Van Goh, we can have a chatting session as we go along. No need for class room as I think most of us are from schools of Hard Knocks.:bsmilie:, me inclusive..I am using char kway teow plate from Master Seefei. Improvise and see how it works for urself..

marcus

Those who are going who have more than one macro lenses, extension tubes or close-up lenses in their arsenal, why not bring it along to share with some of the new Pentax members to use.
I've lent my macro lenses and extension tubes to others in past outings and I believe the community will benefit from this. Just saying... will try to be there.

Meeting at Macs
1) Detritus (Donald - 97670601)

2) OTC

3) Oceanpriest

4) Supersimon27

5) cyk13

6) Pentriot

7) Moonlightsg (Pending for "Leave Approval")

8)Gummy73 :)

9)

10)

Joining Later

11) pentax

12)

13)

14)

15)

Those who are going who have more than one macro lenses, extension tubes or close-up lenses in their arsenal, why not bring it along to share with some of the new Pentax members to use.
I've lent my macro lenses and extension tubes to others in past outings and I believe the community will benefit from this. Just saying... will try to be there.

Good ideal :)

I only got 1 macro lens (so pai seh can't share) . But I can bring along a cheapo 52mm +4 close up filter that can be attached to kit lens :)

I believe Donald got more treasure to share out :p

Good ideal :)

I only got 1 macro lens (so pai seh can't share) . But I can bring along a cheapo 52mm +4 close up filter that can be attached to kit lens :)

I believe Donald got more treasure to share out :p

what treasure :bsmilie: just some very normal equipment only lah.

anyway,

anyone who needs equipment loan can post here.

those who have spare equipment that they're willing to share can reply or get in touch with the person via PM :)

not very viable to ask everyone to bring spare equipment and loan out freely. heavy lah :sweat:

Im new for macro, hv n will bring below items on that day.
1) DFA 100 -I need it on that day.
2) DA 35 f2.8 - okay to borrow.
3) Reverse apt\A50 - okay to borrow.
sms me if u keen(Cheong 96728149).

I will bring Raynox DCR-150 and DCR-250 ;)

Denis, Like tat, I need two big bags to contain all the arsenals:bsmilie::bsmilie:

marcus

Denis, Like tat, I need two big bags to contain all the arsenals:bsmilie::bsmilie:

marcus

Wow! :bigeyes:
Maybe you can dispose off your excess gear on the spot... a CNY macro gear sale will surely get more people to come. No need to bring everything, just excess to requirement can do.

1 more day to go. just a gentle reminder to all who are coming :)

Time: Breakfast at Mac's 7am, start shooting by 7:30, 8:00

Meeting place: Mcdonalds
http://maps.google.com.sg/maps/ms?ie...,0.006899&z=17

In case you reach there late, can give me a call and catch up with us. i prefer to start earlier so we'll try to start by 8am latest - more bugs, less sun, better lighting.

Meeting at Macs
2) OTC
3) Oceanpriest
4) Supersimon27
5) cyk13
6) Pentriot
8)Gummy73
9)
10)

Joining Later

11) pentax
12)
13)
14)
15)

-------------------

Once again, those who needs equipment loan should post here, or get in touch with pple who have indicated that they have surplus equipment.

Things to Bring for the Outing:
- Dress comfortably. Long sleeves helps if u're afraid of mosquitoes. Wear covered shoes.
- Mosquito repellent
- Camera
- 18-55 kit lens or macro lens
- Flash + Diffuser + spare batteries

Optional:
- Tripod / Monopod
- Macro accessories (e.g. raynox / close-up filters / ext tubes / teleconverters / reverse ring adaptors, etc)

Hi i'm new to macro, would ma fan all the experts here to guide me on that day. ;p

Meeting at Macs
2) OTC
3) Oceanpriest
4) Supersimon27
5) cyk13
6) Pentriot
8)Gummy73
9)Evan
10)

Joining Later

11) pentax
12)
13)
14)
15)

Is the on camera flash enuff for macro?

Still got space?

Meeting at Macs
2) OTC
3) Oceanpriest
4) Supersimon27
5) cyk13
6) Pentriot
8)Gummy73
9)Evan
10) benchan21

Joining Later

11) pentax
12)
13)
14)
15)

Still got space?

Meeting at Macs
2) OTC
3) Oceanpriest
4) Supersimon27
5) cyk13
6) Pentriot
8)Gummy73
9)Evan
10) benchan21

Joining Later

11) pentax
12)
13)
14)
15)

u know anyone else who's interested? sure... please come :)

Last edited:
Meeting at Macs
2) OTC
3) Oceanpriest
4) Supersimon27
5) cyk13
6) Pentriot
8)Gummy73
9)Evan
10) benchan21
11)Zamzam

Joining Later

11) pentax
12)
13)
14)
15)