achanth

Dec 12, 2005
www.photography-xylec.blogspot.com
P1000820e.jpg

focusing looks a little out and very heavily jpg compressed

seems like there is a Navy Landing Ship Tank on the left...:think:

focusing looks a little out and very heavily jpg compressed

seems like there is a Navy Landing Ship Tank on the left...:think:

Thanks for your input...I am not sure why this is heavily compressed. Use sunset setting, and also tried P setting. Hand held..with the stabiliser.

Wah, you are good...you can see a Navy Landing Ship Tank...I am not familiar with ships. Also tried the same shots with Olympus 510; of course, the image quality was better.

Will try to see why my hand held images are not good...too much hand shake.

Thanks for your input...I am not sure why this is heavily compressed. Use sunset setting, and also tried P setting. Hand held..with the stabiliser.

Wah, you are good...you can see a Navy Landing Ship Tank...I am not familiar with ships. Also tried the same shots with Olympus 510; of course, the image quality was better.

Will try to see why my hand held images are not good...too much hand shake.

even with stabilizer, not every shot will turn sharp at 1/10"... proper handling technique is requred.

I have looking at your olympus510 shot, and its done at 1/200 which is so much faster.

a lot of jpg compression here

stabiliser helps, but if you are not holding the camera properly in the first place will still be blur

that said, the composition of the picture lacks interest here. work on composition, first and foremost. cheers

a lot of jpg compression here

stabiliser helps, but if you are not holding the camera properly in the first place will still be blur

that said, the composition of the picture lacks interest here. work on composition, first and foremost. cheers

hi

can advice how do you judge theres a lot of jpg compression here?
thanks a lot

hi

can advice how do you judge theres a lot of jpg compression here?
thanks a lot

1981381142_de5e08b79d_o.jpg

here, i have circled in pink the parts which show compression, there are jagged blotches/patches which should not be the case. it is especially obvious in the sky

for shadows, in the top right, still can close one eye if very very liberal.. but in the sky is painful

here is a picture saved repeatedly at very low quality over and over again, 0 quality about 5 to 6 times:

1981381400_fdf61302da_o.jpg

here the same thing i have described has TAKEN OVER the picture

please save all your jpgs at maximum quality

another even simpler method is to just look carefully at those fine details like the 1 below
there is not accurate measure of compression, but as long as such things are easily seen in parts with pretty fine details, the compression is pretty bad
and yes, those compression can easily cause softness on the picture...
P1000820e.jpg

Hi, Night86mare, I think your comments are very useful for learning. Would you mind if you can comment on the following taken with Olympus 51 of the same setting at about the same time and date? Appreciate your inputs on the compression of jpeg.
PB061331.jpg

weird, here no compression leh

here horizon seems very slightly tilted, easily corrected. what the problem is here in the last picture you have posted is that there is too much space. space is fine when it is used constructively, it adds to the picture; for example a lot of space with a sudden mass of elements can work to convey certain ideas. in this case, your space comprises of messy waves which seem to do nothing.. other than take up space. here i would suggest that you zoom in, focus on the yolk of the sun.. it is quite interesting in fact, much like a bashful bride hiding behind a veil :)

however in other situations where you have something interesting, even a hump of land mass.. then you do not have to compose it in such a manner, like so:

original.jpg

this was one of my first sunrise pictures taken with the sony h2 when i was starting out, at changi beach i remember. those were the days, when i was still very crazy about sunrise/sunset chasing. heh.

an alternative method of composition is to find something interesting to place in the foreground, i.e. rocks, anything.. so long as it works in the composition.

not sure where you took this, is it still tuas? finding a good location for the sunset where you would have a higher chance of things to take is almost as key as taking the sunset itself; for tuas i remember that there are many grass patches, and also raffles marina, where there is a lighthouse and the causeway bridge..

hazmee has great pictures from the general area here and here.. if i remember correctly, getting there by car is not a problem, but parking is.

on the other hand, here are my takes on the lighthouse at raffles marina:

link1 and link 2.

sprintist also has some great pictures from tuas.. this one is in from the raffles marina pier area; and this one is from the roughly same location as hazmee. cheers :)

Night86mare,
Many many thanks for your helpful lessons. I think I basically forgot about the rule of third, and was focusing on the sun, which was centered, but too much water. Wanted to show the reflection of the sun against the sea water. It did not turn out that way.

I took the pictures from the pier in Raffles Yacht Club in Tuas.

With your advice, I cropped the picture to try to follow the rule of third. Because of saving and then cropping and then saving, this picture quality may suffer.

PB061331cropped.jpg

yes, in my opinion, this photo looks a lot better than the previous one in terms of composition, very classic with a much stronger sense of focus

this is why telephoto lenses are useful for landscape too :) when isolation of detail is key

do note that the horizon seems tilted a bit, perhaps 0.5 degrees clockwise should be able to correct it :)

an interesting point to note, the quality here, despite cropping is still a lot better than your first picture posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.