Tripod - would you pay for $$$ for good one /

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this is helpful to the TS. It is the same as telling don't buy DSLR, easier to get stolen and will be even more heart pain as it costs more.:nono:

I can't agree with the logic of not getting an expensive tripod just because it might be stolen. If that is the case, we should not be getting any expensive camera and lenses that cost even more because they too might be stolen.

I think bro deckard meant that if a Benro can serve the purpose and take the weight of the setup, then dun have to get a Gitzo as the Gitzo is definitely more expensive than a Benro. I got a cheap tripod from PPCP and it has served me well enough given it's light-weight. My Benro is becoming an white elephant sitting in a corner in my house.

HI,

I am in a decision making process right now if I should spend $$$ to get a good light CF tripod that is good for travelling like Gitzo or to cut back on my budget and go with an above average range and spend money on other accessories.

I want to make an investment that I dont regret or my wife wont regret helping me to carry..hehehe

Anyone can recommend me a good brand and model number ?

The last great tripod I bought, in 1992, was a Bogen (Manfrotto) that cost me an arm and a leg. It's still working fine, better than most, expect the ergonomics may not be as good as the current offering. But as a sturdy platform for taking pictures, this 15 years old relic is still the best tripod I own.

buy tripod...cannot budget...i learnt my lesson...i go buy those cheap stein zeiser tripod... even though it's good...but the pan head drop out...almost drop my camera...then got myself a benro...which is so much more better...:thumbsup:

Most of the reasons have already been highlighted by the rest. I personally wished that I bought the lightest (that I can afford - after saving for it) and strongest (for future needs) from the beginning because of the following reasons:

1. Easier to carry and hence, more incentive to bring it with you to use more often.
2. If you intend to upgrade your gear, buy the tripod that can meet your future needs. This way you don't end up with having several tripods.

The most expensive tripod may not be the best but the cheaper one may not be good enough either.

Most importantly, go out and take more photos. :)

Good luck.

HI,
I want to make an investment that I dont regret or my wife wont regret helping me to carry..hehehe

Hmmm.. then u probably want the lightest possible. That way, u wont be thinking of getting a lighter setup, cos there isnt any!! This is what I got :

Gitzo GT0530 - 0.72Kg
Mamiya Ball Head - 0.16kg
Total - 0.88kg, Max load 5kg
3 Section tripod
cost me $6XX at CP

The ball head's not so gd but its the lightest 5kg load I can find.. u may want to get a better head at the expense of wt...

Buy a tripod that serve your needs... depends what sort of photography u shoot most... if u shoot macro or use long lens often & insist to use paper-weight tripod..:think: then u are asking for trouble... dun go for cheapo things juz bcos it's cheapo.. buy something that serves your needs... my 2cents.. :angel:

TS is looking for something that serves his needs. He's asking for recommendations for a tripod suitable for travelling, as in going on a holiday with wife. n something light enuff for wife to help carry...

Thanks for the contributions...

Maybe, we should move to the next stage...any specific brand and models I should be targetting ?

Let says budget is $500 or $700 (max) for tripod and head.

Thanks for the contributions...

Maybe, we should move to the next stage...any specific brand and models I should be targetting ?

Let says budget is $500 or $700 (max) for tripod and head.
with that budget, go for benro C or M series with either KJ, KB or KS head.

a steady, lightweight tripod is definitely worth forking out for.

a tripod is no use unless you have it with you, and the lighter it is, the less likely you will feel very sian and leave it at home.

if you think about it, a nice carbon fiber tripod will only cost maybe $200 more than the non-CF version. compare to buying and selling lenses that you regret getting or don't use much, or accessories that you end up not needing.

i have a feisol that i've brought along on a few trips (benro not on sale here back then) and i love how light it is. my gf also likes to carry it around. dunno why but she finds it fun.

TS is looking for something that serves his needs. He's asking for recommendations for a tripod suitable for travelling, as in going on a holiday with wife. n something light enuff for wife to help carry...

Yes! I got a Gitzo CF, and got my wife to help me carry on one of our trip. And it happens to be the last, so far. She find it to troublesome and always discourage me from bringing it. :bsmilie:

Consider the PPCP Pro tripod V2. At $145 now, its value for money.

Yes! I got a Gitzo CF, and got my wife to help me carry on one of our trip. And it happens to be the last, so far. She find it to troublesome and always discourage me from bringing it. :bsmilie:

ooopps.. ur trip is 3 days up the mountain up is it? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Of course she finds it troublesome. She should be expecting to carry lots of shopping bags instead:bsmilie: (Just joking)

Of course she finds it troublesome. She should be expecting to carry lots of shopping bags instead:bsmilie: (Just joking)

You are absolutely right! :thumbsup:

just came back from one of the camera shop and the sales man show me a REAL COOL GITZO CF (sorry cant remember the model no) and it was at $700 without the head.

But it is so super light....

Only thing is that I couldnt take out the centre column and slip in horizontally for macro shots (should I ever want to use it). But that tripod is really super super light but again I better do my look around and asking forumers for advice before I commit to it...

Joe, if its GT0530, can refer to my post above, #25 for price guide. I bought it on impulse cos its so light. Actually went down to get the Slik 340DX.

Status
Not open for further replies.