tripod head budget at $400

Status
Not open for further replies.
dear all,

May I know which tripod head will you recommend at the max of $400?

preferred ballhead, with 360' panning, min 10kg loading capacity. Quick release is a must. Acra-swiss type plate will be a plus point.

Check out Benro.

any idea how much is RRS ballhead? at the mean time i will check up on Kirk as well.

Check out http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/index.asp?url=IND
starts from US$356 (BH-40) to US$455 (BH-55) :)

If u're into L-plates, the shipping cost is incrementally cheaper as u add more items.

BTW, Cathay Photo still have one last piece of Arcaswiss Z1 (comes with Wimberly generic plate). Go down and ask for the price. Ard $800+ if i remember correctly.

What type of tripod are u using or intending to upgrade to?

Check out http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/index.asp?url=IND
starts from US$356 (BH-40) to US$455 (BH-55) :)

If u're into L-plates, the shipping cost is incrementally cheaper as u add more items.

BTW, Cathay Photo still have one last piece of Arcaswiss Z1 (comes with Wimberly generic plate). Go down and ask for the price. Ard $800+ if i remember correctly.

What type of tripod are u using or intending to upgrade to?

Thanks... but 800+ a little out... I have budget la... best to get it below $400 if cannot the 100 or 200 more shd be fine... 400 more is too much la...

BTW I am using Manfrotto 190XproB, eventually I will upgrade to Gitzo Explorer. one at the time, I find that Tripod head is more critical at this time.

Thanks... but 800+ a little out... I have budget la... best to get it below $400 if cannot the 100 or 200 more shd be fine... 400 more is too much la...

BTW I am using Manfrotto 190XproB, eventually I will upgrade to Gitzo Explorer. one at the time, I find that Tripod head is more critical at this time.

Markins M10 should be ur best bet. Watch out for the spring loaded "safety stop" built in onto the clamp. I can't get used to that; only allows for toploading.

It's best to bring along ur cam/tripod down to TK so that can do a hands-on test. Test for:
1) loading and unloading the cam
2) landscape + portrait mode.
3) Panning
4) tighten the knob etc..

Look for Philip, he's very patient. Got a Gitzo from him eventually. :thumbsup:

Markins M10 should be ur best bet. Watch out for the spring loaded "safety stop" built in onto the clamp. I can't get used to that; only allows for toploading.

It's best to bring along ur cam/tripod down to TK so that can do a hands-on test. Test for:
1) loading and unloading the cam
2) landscape + portrait mode.
3) Panning
4) tighten the knob etc..

Look for Philip, he's very patient. Got a Gitzo from him eventually. :thumbsup:

Thanks for reply. most likely will go for Markins M10. I got a quote for Kangrinpoche NB-2B which is very tempting... haha...

Thanks everyone for your valuable input... Finally got my Tripod BallHead, I got Markins M10, Sam actually recommend me Q3 which I think, heck just 100 buck diff, already going to spend might as well pay a bit more for a better load. :thumbsup: good sales person.

Bro, I see that you have also gotten the same setup and glad to see that you are satisfied with it :)

Yea bro very satisfied so far, the tripod is very sturdy:thumbsup: I use it on last weekend's singapore fireworks festival.. :D

Thanks everyone for your valuable input... Finally got my Tripod BallHead, I got Markins M10, Sam actually recommend me Q3 which I think, heck just 100 buck diff, already going to spend might as well pay a bit more for a better load. :thumbsup: good sales person.
Congrats on your new ballhead, wise choice. :thumbsup: When it comes to support, i.e tripods, ballheads and such, do not stinge...most ppl made the mistake of buying cheap support becoz they want to cut cost after spending on their expensive gear and only realise their mistake when their supports fails to hold up their rig securely, or even worse, come crashing to the ground. I have a friend who bought a China brand tripod den one day one of the joints snap and the whole setup tumble to the ground. After that costly mistake he finally went for a Gitzo tripod.

Congrats for acquiring the new M10. I got mine from Sam previously too.
They carry a varietly of Markins plates for lenses as well :bsmilie:

Ryan

Congrats on a great purchase and now, where is that Gitzo tripod? ;p

Thanks everyone again...

As for the plate, I actually got a cheaper plate from Benro. Do you guy think that alright?

Maybe you guyz can give me a better advise. I dun mind to spend to buy another plate, just that is it necessary?

Seems like it's a good head. I am rather curious, which Gitzo tripod are you using? :think:

asking me? I not using Gitzo, I am using Manfrotto 190XproB, may or may not upgrade to Gitzo Explorer, if will upgrade, shd be next pay day. haha

To me, Manfrotto 190XproB is a good enough tripod(never regret) , oli the weight is pretty heavy.

Head is critical, so I decide to get the Head 1st. I think most of the CSer will buy Tripod 1st then Head.

asking me? I not using Gitzo, I am using Manfrotto 190XproB, may or may not upgrade to Gitzo Explorer, if will upgrade, shd be next pay day. haha

To me, Manfrotto 190XproB is a good enough tripod(never regret) , oli the weight is pretty heavy.

Head is critical, so I decide to get the Head 1st. I think most of the CSer will buy Tripod 1st then Head.

190XPROB is a bit heavy for its height but that is to be expected from an aluminium tripod. I once carried the monstrous 055CLB + 488RC2 + leveller combo which totaled up to 4KG for a trip. I immediately sold the tripod when I got back and bought the Gitzo GT-1541.

190XPROB is a bit heavy for its height but that is to be expected from an aluminium tripod. I once carried the monstrous 055CLB + 488RC2 + leveller combo which totaled up to 4KG for a trip. I immediately sold the tripod when I got back and bought the Gitzo GT-1541.

bro that is 055CLB.... even the next tripod I am eyeing is already 2kg... basalt explorer

Congrats on the ballhead, the Markins is a good buy. You asked whether you need another plate, that depends on whether you like keeping the plate on your camera(s) or lens(es), or don't mind removing/reattaching them every time.

I'm using a Kangrinpoche NB-2A on a Benro C-228 (old model, similar to Gitzo 1228), and it's a pretty good combo, light yet sturdy.

dang! that's one helluva lens you got there, so heavy @ 10kg? is it attached to your E-510 or E-420? :D

bro, my cam very light only, reason y i state min 10kg is in case any upgrade in the future... at least i got buffer now (the more the better)...

markins M10 max load is 40KG, I dun think anyone using M10 are having a 10KG setup.

Arca-swiss Z1 is about 60KG Max load (correct me if i am wrong), hell who will be using up to 60KG?

seriously since i am prepare to spend, i will prefer to go for a better 1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.