Tripod for D90

Status
Not open for further replies.

porkypig

Jan 7, 2007
North
Hi pals,

i know this is a frequent discussed topic.

Those who might be able to advise, i thank you 1st ar......

I have been using the Free Nikon Tripod, (the pan head... one... with.. i feel pretty flimsy plastic... which i am scared will break soon)

Am using a D90 + 18-105
(saving up for 18-200)

dun have Flash, (cos dun need it yet...... or should i say, i dunno why i need it yet.... or i dunno how to use it)

no batt pack, ( i dun need the extra FPS, although i always keep a fully charged battery in my camera bag).. the next other reason if i were to buy it would be for a better portriat grip or to look pro.. (which is not impt to me at this moment)

Budget: $400 +
Intension: landscape during holiday, day time street photography casual, party, occasional night shots (esp during the christmas lights seasons)

Been reading and research a little,
came to the conclusion,
(I want to try to aviod the $$ issue, of buying something, which might not satisfy me in 1 yrs time, and up again..... thats why i am asking here for some kind help)

Manfrotto 190XProb + 488RC2

Not too well researched into Gitzo, although my gut feel is that it should cost more

Can any1 comment on the price of these 2 brands, that i might be expecting to pay, if my budget allows?
since i like to go holiday, should take carbon fibre (weight consideration) instead of Gitzo...if i were to stretch my budget. Make sense a not ar?

For the note, D90 BG does not increase the FPS to the originally 4.5 fps,

since you plan to travel with it, CF will be an advantage but based on the budget you have here it might not be enough. But you could take a look at Benro Tripod CF too.

For the note, D90 BG does not increase the FPS to the originally 4.5 fps,

since you plan to travel with it, CF will be an advantage but based on the budget you have here it might not be enough. But you could take a look at Benro Tripod CF too.

opps
i really din know that,
(cos i dun need those 7fps to capture the moments in sports la or etc...)
OT a bit here, so the others uses of the batt pack for D90?
apart from more batt life and better protrait grip only?

ya.. i was thinking CF pretty important oo.

on my last trip, with gf (now wife)
more of a sight-seeing trip
woke up around 9 +
break fast, then cheong shopping, places of interset

then 3+ come back hotel rest + deposit some shpping items

then go out liao.. (and probably the next time we step back into hotel room would be around 11-12 at night)

so took the NIKON free tripod,
(got got a nice sling bag)
from 3pm till midnight lo.

thats the kind of duration that i should be expecting for the next trip.

shall research into benfro.
so i suppose gitzo (pai seh, ignorant question) totally out of budget hor.

Last edited:
With given S$400 budget, do consider the following traveling tripod that may last for a long time, typically with 8 kilogram carrying capacity

-- Benro Mg-Carbon Travel Angel series with B ball head
-- Benro Mg-Aluminum Travel Angel series with BH or B ball head
-- Sirui carbon fiber traveling tripod with G10 or G20 ball head
-- Manda carbon fiber traveling tripod (www.manda-sg.com)

With given S$400 budget, do consider the following traveling tripod that may last for a long time, typically with 8 kilogram carrying capacity

-- Benro Mg-Carbon Travel Angel series with B ball head
-- Benro Mg-Aluminum Travel Angel series with BH or B ball head
-- Sirui carbon fiber traveling tripod with G10 or G20 ball head
-- Manda carbon fiber traveling tripod (www.manda-sg.com)

wow
thanks squid for the precious info.
shall research them soon.

going to a wedding dinner soon, wife's cousin.

bringing a D90 + 18-105
taking shots discreetly.

hope i interfer with the main photographer
and kena labelled as the "guy with cam"

turning off beep-beep,
offing illumination assist.
gonna move away to not snatch the best position, when the main photographer comes.
no flash... (anyway i rather more ISO than flash, personal)

manfrotto 190xprob + 488rc2 is a decent choice

i'm using 190cxpro4 + 488rc4
the different between these 2 tripods are weight and the ball head is the release plate

Manfrotto 190XProb + 488RC2

Not too well researched into Gitzo, although my gut feel is that it should cost more

Can any1 comment on the price of these 2 brands, that i might be expecting to pay, if my budget allows?
since i like to go holiday, should take carbon fibre (weight consideration) instead of Gitzo...if i were to stretch my budget. Make sense a not ar?

IMO, the combo make a good choice for your setup and within your budget.

Gitzo carbon fibre tripod is on the high side and the price is always rising. It depends on what you need and want on holidays trip. I am on holidays with Gitzo 1227 with NB2-A ball head.

i second the manfrotto 190 series for your current usage... if you considering to expand your lens and body, 055 makes a slightly better choice (up to 7 to 8kg depends on model)... that should be able to support a dx00 series with 70-200mm VR lens... if you're going to shoot birds that's another very different story... ;p

i suggest to up your budget a bit and buy the right one at once... i got 3 tripods at home that i don't / can't use... i don't wish you to understand how i feel about tripod after you got a few useless tripods at home... all those cost money... :cry:

hope this helps... :D

I suggest the benro travel angel for ur budget and purpose. why if u ask-
light and portable. enough cap to support ur setups. I have the man 055 and its too big for ur type of travel (imho)
the benro hold my 70-200 for nite shots well enough for people + background shot. I forgot to mention that I use my markins m10 on the benro and man 055

i second the manfrotto 190 series for your current usage... if you considering to expand your lens and body, 055 makes a slightly better choice (up to 7 to 8kg depends on model)... that should be able to support a dx00 series with 70-200mm VR lens... if you're going to shoot birds that's another very different story... ;p

i suggest to up your budget a bit and buy the right one at once... i got 3 tripods at home that i don't / can't use... i don't wish you to understand how i feel about tripod after you got a few useless tripods at home... all those cost money... :cry:

hope this helps... :D

thanks pal,
thats the scenario that we have read so often,
which i am trying my best to avoid...
thanks once again,

had been reading up more on the recommendations here.

THANKS.

should be going to the shop to touch touch and then buy liao
(at least i know wat to look out for)

should be stretching my budget to get the CXpro 3 or 4 version.

last question.
there max weight for say tripod is 5KG
while the max weight for a ball head is 8KG,
thus, in this case, i should be looking at the lower number right?

Last edited:
had been reading up more on the recommendations here.

last question.
there max weight for say tripod is 5KG
while the max weight for a ball head is 8KG,
thus, in this case, i should be looking at the lower number right?

Yes, that's correct. Go with the least number quoted as the max for the overall setup.

Yes, that's correct. Go with the least number quoted as the max for the overall setup.

If tripod can take 5kg and head can take 8kg, then the max weight the setup can take is (5kg - weight of the head), so it's less than 5kg. Assuming the head is 1kg, then the setup can only take 4kg.

Last edited:
If tripod can take 5kg and head can take 8kg, then the max weight the setup can take is (5kg - weight of the head), so it's less than 5kg. Assuming the head is 1kg, then the setup can only take 4kg.

lsisaxon, that's correct. My apologies as I forgot to factor in the weight of the head :p

Scenario A
1. Max Weight of the Tripod - 6KG
2. Max Weight of the Head - 8KG
3. Weight of the Head - 0.5 KG

The max weight that this setup can handle 5.5 KG (6KG - 0.5KG)

Scenario B
1. Max Weight of the Tripod - 12KG
2. Max Weight of the Head - 8KG
3. Weight of the Head - 0.5 KG

The max weight that this setup can handle is 8KG as the Tripod can handle more than the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.