Transparancy Film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek

Jan 18, 2005
Singapore
Jus wondering if anyone has done any experimentation with pushing (is this the right term?) the film rating on their camera when shooting slides.

ie if using 200 ASA film rate it as 250ASA on the camera.

I always think it gives better colour saturation but maybe i am jus imagining it.

The theory I have heard is that modern cameras are all set up for print film, and therefore tend to overexpose. Anybody have any thoughts?

Pushing or Pulling is term of using the ASA on different requirment.
ie, u need 1600 for slides shoot. but there are no such slides in the market, so u set to 1600, when developing u to the changes for 1600 developing to get it correct, if not u will under expose your slides.

over expose for negative is better for printing, easier for printer to get the colour back but not more the 3 stops.

As for slides under expose, is up to individual.
reasons:
1) nowadays, slides are scanned then to prints, unlike in the pass where there are only MANUAL print where correction are critical. U can correct the colour after the scan and do the print. sildes are just a reference for printers to get the colour correct.

2) Slides for projector presentation. light bulbs play a part. new bulb tends to "overexpose" the normal exposure of slides but correct exposure when viewing on lightbox. in short, if u intend to do slide projector presentation, prepare your light bulb.

3) Different Scenario, different exposure. when in studio, half stop over exposure is better than under expose. when shooting high key, correct exposure is require.

4) Safe way for slides if u are not confident, bracket every shot....

hope these helps :)

Thanks - looks like some experimentation is called for.
:D

This is a short but effective guide to pushing and pulling film.

Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.