Totally New on buying of cameras.

hi guys. been looking around for some time..

rx100 m3 : very nice and handy camera. quite like it but the price tag is WOW! can anyone advice if this camera zoom function is it further then nx mini's zoom lens? didnt get to see the diff as inside the mall :p

a5100: *edit* not out in market yet right?

nx mini: nice and handy too. but i was told that this camera only have 2 lens now... and the only zoom lens dont seems to be able to take very far too.

E-PL7: didnt see any E-PL7 around. so didnt get to try it =(

While I acknowledged that RX100 mk3 is extremely good... But you can also take a look at the RX100mkII, it is selling at pretty nice prices nowadays if you can still find one, and the image quality is in fact not that far apart as compared to the mk3 plus you have a slightly longer lens (although slower), a hotshoe for quite a bit of accessories like external flashes. If you compared it with the Samsung NX, I think they are quite the same in image quality (not too sure though), however the NX mini without any lens is smaller in size, but if you add in the zoom lens, the differences is not really that big... and in actual fact, I believe the NX mini to be abit thicker and so putting that into your pocket might not be a good choice, unless you have big baggy pants or cargo pants.

EPL7 is not out yet, but EPL6 is going off at a good price now. A5100 might already been out as suggested by trenzterra, you can go and have a try.

Ultimately, I still think you need to get your hands on all those camera to see which one suits your needs best. and which camera felt best in your hands.

The RX 100 MK II by itself is quite a capable camera already , it's more of will u be ok with the handling as it's pretty small.

The E-PL7 is a to be released camera :) but as shared , the E-PL6 is now at a very good price point for all the capabilities it has.

Best is ... List down , go Funan and try. Listening and reading here only does so much. All the best !

Look out for the soon to be released LX1000 (or might be LX100).

Last edited:
Hi guys! really thanks alot for all the kind and helpful inputs.

after some walking around and trying on those cameras with my gf... we have short listed the below 2 cameras.

compact : RX100 MK3

OR

Mirrorless : A5100

hope that i didnt make the wrong choice!

anyone can please intro me a place to purchase it too?

thanks a million guys!

=)

below are what i found in sony webby. promo from now till 30th. was wondering if any other place will offer better or not.

And i was wondering if do i need that SEL50F18 lens or not. haha.

Alpha ILCE-5100 body + SELP1650

Suggested Retail Price
S$999

Gifts

16GB SD Card SF-16N4
Carrying Case LCS-BBF/BC
Sony Digital Workshop

Purchase with Purchase

E-mount Lens (50mm F1.8 OSS) SEL50F18 at $319.00 (U.P. $449.00)
5” External LCD Monitor CLM-V55 at $399.00 (U.P. $499.00)
Battery Video Light HVL-LE1 at $199.00 (U.P. $269.00)
Multipod VCT-MP1 at $199.00 (U.P. $269.00)
Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-FW50 at $39.00 (U.P. $120.00)
E-mount Camera Neck Strap STP-XSR1 at $34.00 (U.P. $49.00)

RX100 III

Suggested Retail Price
S$1,199

Gifts

16GB SDHC UHD-1 Memory Card SF-16UX
Sony Digital Workshop

Purchase with Purchase

Accessory Kit ACC-TRDCX at $69.00 (U.P. $99.00)
Travel Charger BC-TRX at $64.00 (U.P. $119.00)
Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-BX1 at $35.00 (U.P. $79.00)

Buy only what you really need. If you don't know whether you need it (or worse: what for) then don't buy anything.
Lenses are not like veggies that 'must go before spoil', they will still be available in 1..2 years. It doesn't matter what PwP offerings are there, still you put more money on the table as if you buy only the standard kit. PwP offers can also mean that such items are not selling well, so they must go. Which means: little chance for you to sell it off as 2nd hand item. Wasted money...
Get the standard kit, get the minimum accessories like bag, 2nd battery, memory card and done. Go and shoot, learn to use the camera. Attend any workshops from Sony if given for free, sign up for any workshop or join the gatherings here. Use your equipment. And then, maybe in a few months time you will know what else you need and you can go to find the best price.
regarding where to buy: check the equipment section, in the price guides you will find the list of shops. I remember that Sony prices are somewhat controlled, so you don't need to hunt for a few bucks savings.

Last edited:
mins ago i just notice that canon new powershot series of G7x. wondering if it is comparable to sony's rx100 m3 or not. review mentioned about no view finder or something... which i dont think i need also... maybe this can help me save some bucks? o_O

mins ago i just notice that canon new powershot series of G7x. wondering if it is comparable to sony's rx100 m3 or not. review mentioned about no view finder or something... which i dont think i need also... maybe this can help me save some bucks? o_O

G7X is just released into the market. If you are going to consider it, I would advise that you wait a while longer to read more reviews of this camera.

There are two advantages of G7X that I really liked - touch screen and longer focal range as compared to Sony. Both the cameras should produce roughly the same image quality (many people had speculate that both camera shared the same sensor).

The following review can be poisonous... so read it only when your resistance is high ;)

http://petapixel.com/2014/09/23/review-canon-powershot-g7-x/

Last edited:

It would be wise not to spend too much on your first camera. Remember this: A camera does only ONE thing - take pictures, unlike a smartphone or a computer which has more things to use it for. Maybe it does TWO things, if you take videos with it as well occasionally. Also, a camera is a tool you don't normally use every day. The G7X, if you decide to choose this, should easily last you 4 years or more if you take care of it well when using and storing. The G7X is an improvement over the Canon S series which use smaller sensors. As for the electronic viewfinder (EVF) or the lack of it, it is not really necessary. Composing with the LCD screen is fine. I use the EVF most of the time on my G1X Mk II, but it's a nice to have item, not must have.

Too much analysis also leads to paralysis. Buy one, use it, and start enjoying your photography journey. Learn to use it in other modes instead of just setting it in Auto, including editing the photos with an editing software; especially if you experiment with taking & editing RAW format photos.

In time, when you decide to buy another camera (upgrade?), you'll realise it is neither easy to sell a 2nd-hand camera nor get a good price for it. It might be painful if you had parted a greater sum for your first camera. Therefore, back to 1st principle: It would be wise not to spend too much on your first camera. It is wiser still to enjoy and focus on taking memorable photos instead of focusing on the tool itself. Don't think or analyse too much on which one to buy.

:)

Last edited: