Too many photographer-wannabe out there!

Are there too many photographer-wannabe out there?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
pentax? u mean u actually use pentax? :bsmilie:

Well...you need to be a novice in order to be a veteran

these days have a different model.. start with cheap rates.. and continue charging cheap rates.

understand the principle of doing business.

If it is the principle of doing business, think youngster nowadays are doing a better job than the old-timer.

For example,
1. Low startup using internet/forum
2. Buildup portfolio using TFCD
3. Portfolio on the net
4. More flexible package (Coffee book, montage, no print etc)

Of cos, under-cutting might be more serious due to competition. Doesn't the old-timer undercut each other last time?

In what way?

the conveniences of current technologies are capable of breeding more of opportunists who enter and exit the market more freely, with little willingness to make much commitment to the job, than serious players who invest time, effort and creativity to build their career. personally, i think novices of the past on average produce better quality portfolios than novices of the present.

If it is the principle of doing business, think youngster nowadays are doing a better job than the old-timer.

For example,
1. Low startup using internet/forum
2. Buildup portfolio using TFCD
3. Portfolio on the net
4. More flexible package (Coffee book, montage, no print etc)

Of cos, under-cutting might be more serious due to competition. Doesn't the old-timer undercut each other last time?

i think alot of novices of the present are just trying to make use of these to cover up inadequacy of photography skills, not very enterprising as superficial accessories do not extend occupation lifespan very long.

the conveniences of current technologies are capable of breeding more of opportunists who enter and exit the market more freely, with little willingness to make much commitment to the job, than serious players who invest time, effort and creativity to build their career. personally, i think novices of the past on average produce better quality portfolios than novices of the present.

i think alot of novices of the present are just trying to make use of these to cover up inadequacy of photography skills, not very enterprising as superficial accessories do not extend occupation lifespan very long.

Can't agree with you on this. A few of the good wedding photographers I have seen here started with website biz model.

3 sucessful ones that I can recall off hand are Iamsaint, Joho and SniperD.

If my memory doesn't failed me:
Iamsaint started with a pbase account too. Can we say that he didn't invest time, creativity and effort to build his career?

If you looked at Joho and SniperD photos, are they not heavily processed? I find it ok as they are using technology to enhance the mood. Can't really said they used technology to cover up their inadequacy in skills.

Can't agree with you on this. A few of the good wedding photographers I have seen here started with website biz model.

3 sucessful ones that I can recall off hand are Iamsaint, Joho and SniperD.

If my memory doesn't failed me:
Iamsaint started with a pbase account too. Can we say that he didn't invest time, creativity and effort to build his career?

If you looked at Joho and SniperD photos, are they not heavily processed? I find it ok as they are using technology to enhance the mood. Can't really said they used technology to cover up their inadequacy in skills.

i didn't say all of them are inadequate, there are many who are inadequate, and probably more so now with technological conveniences.

if you choose to read only what you want to read, i don't intend to change your thinking. afterall it's my observation.

i didn't say all of them are inadequate, there are many who are inadequate, and probably more so now with technological conveniences.

if you choose to read only what you want to read, i don't intend to change your thinking. afterall it's my observation.

I am not choosing to read what I wanted to read. I am stating that we have successful examples right here in our forum. Of course there might be a few who depends solely on processing to make a pic look decent. Unless, we see the original photos, we will never know.

As compared to last time, burning and dodging in the darkroom is definately more complex than doing the same thing using software. And, they don't have "undo" button the last time.

It's my observation that they are making full use of current technology to push forward their photography career. If they lived in the age of last time where there is no photo shop or pbase, will they be as heavily booked now?

It's my observation that they are making full use of current technology to push forward their photography career. If they lived in the age of last time where there is no photo shop or pbase, will they be as heavily booked now?

my take is - whatever it is, what technology has done is just improving the tools we use.

yes, they have made things easier. but still you'll be the one deciding on how you use them.

and that's where their edge stands.

yes i agree sbsolutely that there are alot of newbie wannabes running around with 400d, 30d, d80, d40. all over the place.

but when i look at them now i see myself in them many years back. back then i was running around with eos 3. now i am a seasoned pro, older, wiser, who shoots selectively with EOS 1D.

somehow u will feel good seeing these newbies running around because they make you recall the good old days when u are keen to try everything. these nembies can be found in city hall area at night with tripods trying out long exposures. hehehe :cool:

I used to use a D2x, but now use a D40 full time (For personal reasons and preferences) (D2x in cold storage).
I don't think it is wise to judge anybody by equipment.

Of course, I never claimed to be pro, and I may not be considered pro by many of you :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.