Today is the 70th anniversary of the Fall of Singapore

He is a hero. Real hero.

history 101 : do you know why Japan wanted the war? everyone hates them but do you really really really really really really really know Japan had no choice but to war? i dont think so..

of course they had a choice. but they chose to spend up to 70% of their GDP to build their military in the 1930's, and wage war instead.
excuses like the oil embargo and the claim to "liberate" asia just doesn't wash.
japan could have achieved economic success as a modern nation through peaceful means.

King Tiger,
Like your post, will this be something like your WWII series with old photos against present day? I would love to read more and keep the photos uploads.

There is even a commenrative figures made for this memorial event.... :thumbsup:
FOB079(L).jpg

In WW2, Japan used Taiwanese and Korean colonial conscripts, who were especially brutal, in their hopes to impress their Japanese superiors.

Japan's aggression in WW2 was not an overnight or sudden decision. It was planned for a long time in advance.

Google: Baron Tanaka and Japan Plan for world conquest / domination.

Read this

At 9pm to 10pm on 15 Feb 2012, History Channel screened [The Fall of Singapore]
At 10pm to 11pm on 15 Feb 2012, History Channel screened [Rising Sun over Malaya]
Japanese atrocities are described in these TV documentaries.

.....P.S. The message is not to bring hatred, but to remember and not to forget
what our forefathers have seen and endure during the darkness age of Singapore history.

history 101 : do you know why Japan wanted the war? everyone hates them but do you really really really really really really really know Japan had no choice but to war? i dont think so..

whatever reasons for going to war, the atrocious committed was another separate issues.

Totally agree on this. Reasons to go to war are many, but never an excuse for all the unspeakable war crimes! Check out the other post by Reportage here. Sounds like Ninelives's an apologist, perhaps he can enlighten us in his own words, why, since he seem to imply something we do not know.

Last edited:
A distant uncle of mine was with the resistance in Malaya after the fall of Singapore. After the war, he did odd jobs, was a hawker for a while, then worked as a cleaner (his boss jabot without paying their salary... and that made the news at that time). All his life he lived in a one room rental HDB. He has since passed on and is survived by his wife - now in a Old Folks Home. The couple is childless. As a kid, whenever we visited during CNY, he would talk fondly about his Malayan jungle experience.

He did not get any recognition or benefit for risking his life in WWII... and here's the thing that really hit me each time: he NEVER complained about it - did not even mention it.

This I can understand. To have survived the war, to escaped torture, to overcome the sufferings & hardships, to be alive - makes one grateful for each day of life, like receiving a daily bonus, what is there to complain but be thankful about... Sorry he did not receive some recognition & support.

Last edited:
This is war. It not is history it is repeating itself now else where .....Africa?

If you ask me, the most cruel animal on earth is human being.. we sometime kill for fun!